Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

AI aircraft and terminal not together. 20m gap between ...

Guest allblack

Sorry for the vague subject line, but I couldn't think of a better way to put it...Have a slight anomaly, in that at my home airport (NZWN) when I start FS the aircraft are perfectly lined up with the gates, however there's about a 20m distance between them and the terminal! It's like someone's picked up the terminal, left the planes behind and moved it 20m to the left!This is only a recent issue, I "flew" into Wellington a couple of nights ago and all was fine. I haven't downloaded anything, changed any settings in FS (finally got it where I like it!), I thought about FSUIPC, but I leave that alone coz I don't know what it is!I changed dates/times/seasons but still have the planes lined up at the gates with no gates.I went to eight other airports, including NZ ones, and they were all fine, it's just NZWN that seems to be the problem.I started the sim different ways, I ran Norton PC check, which came up fine, so I'm lost as to the problem.Interestingly, looking down from the view where you can pan out to see the planet, it seems that in the context of the whole airport, it's the planes that are in the wrong place, not the terminal building. The distance between the terminal and the runway looks fine, the planes are halfway between the two, with runways that are out of alignment as well.My only idea is, the last flight I took was in the ATR into NZWN, with some user-defined bad weather. I landed, albeit sideways!, and shut down the sim. Now I'm wondering if when I did the CTRL-C the sim hadn't finished doing something inside, hence the problem...But then, I didn't do anything I haven't done a hundred times before.So, that's my tale of woe and misery. I quite like my home airport, so if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I'd be hugely grateful.CheersTim

Are you using add-on scenery for NZWN? If so, you need an AFCAD for that scenery. Add-on scenery is quite often out of kilter with FS9's stock airports and the aircraft seem out of place. If you are not using add-on scenery, then Lee Swordy's AFCAD will do correct the problem. You will have to move the parking places in AFCAD but it isn't all that hard. Be sure to read all of the documentation that comes with AFCAD.

Might just be different aircraft are parked at the gates. Problem is that when setting up the locations for aircraft to park in AFCAD, the location is based on the center of the parking spot and some arbitrary location on the aircraft. So a MD80 parked at a gate might look fine, but a 737 at the same gate will look like it is too far away.Not really anyway to fix this because if you move the location so the 737 looks good, then the MD80 will have it's nose inside the terminal.Matt

Guest allblack

Thanks guys.Yes, I am using add-on scenery for Wellington, but this was installed about six months ago, so I'm not sure how that could suddenly affect it?Is there an easier fix than stuffing around with AFCAD issues? I'm not a PC guru, and am worried if I muck around with something I'm not sure of, I'll cause more harm than good!CheersTim

Guest Charlie Hall

The add on scenery almost certainly would have come with an AfCad file. I don't know because I don't have that scenery myself. AfCad files are bgl files and usually begin with the name AF2 and then the 4 letter airport code (in this case NZWN) so the most probable name will be AF2_NZWN.bgl . Try looking in your particular add on's scenery folder to see if the file is there. It could also be elsewhere however but will always be in a scenery folder. If you can't find it, try a search on your hard drive for it. However the easiest way to deal with it is to install the latest version of AfCad (2.2.1.0 as far as I know) by Lee Swordy. If the file exists it will be found and described as a Mod type in the open airport box. In addition the stock airport will be displayed as a Stock type. If only a Stock type exists then you do not have a specific AfCad file for that scenery. AfCad can also be made to check it for errors after opening the file. Failing all that you could try a system restore if you have XP.....

Guest allblack

Thanks Charlie, though I'm not sure what to do with the afcad file when I find it....I'll have a crack at installing the latest version. I presume this will fix any afcad errors that may exist?ThanksTim

Guest Charlie Hall

It won't fix them, you have to do that, but you will be able to run a simple check. Run AfCad, Collect the airports, type in the airport code to search, open the found AfCad file (Mod if there is one, if not you can look at the Stock one anyway) then Tools, then Fault Finder, make sure all items are checked and then run the fault finder. It will come up with the message No Faults Found if all is OK. Although the program cannot tell if any gates are not exactly where you would like them to be, it's up to you to decide that from what you see on the screen in the program. The main thing though is that you will know if there is an AfCad file that came with the scenery. If there isn't, either you have lost it or there never was one. Maybe the developer can help with an answer to that if you're not sure.

Guest allblack

Yuk, yuk and more yuk!I might just try the XP Restore function....Tim

AFCAD is very simple to use - basically point and click. But even then I find that AI aircraft of the same type I used to set up the parking spot in AFCAD seem to park a a couple of metres short of the gate. But you at least you get a lot closer than 20 metres!Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."