Sign in to follow this  
hawkeye52

Smaller ORBX Level Airports for X-Plane?

Guys thanks a bunch...did a clean reinstall and now have airport buildings at KSEA.  I am to understand that that is the only airport with buildings?  Is there a general airport overhaul package that takes airnav data or something to populate airports with generic buildings?  The flatness is sad :(

In any event, I have a big weekend ahead of me trying out all these sceneries!

I believe it's a map of what mariodonick considers good airport scenery, not a complete map. I may well be wrong though.

If you want a more complete map use http://apxp.info/ and click the "Map View" button next to each country.

There are literally hundreds of airports missing on that map  <_< :

Jan, you are totally correct.

And if you have read the title of the map, you know why this is the case.

Each week, I spend several hours downloading and checking every freeware I can get my hands on, from the usual places (i.e. mostly x-plane.org, but also x-pilot.com and xpfr.org). Most of it does not make it on the map, because

(1) it is simply not good enough quality,

or (2) better airports in the same region are already included-

(I also check payware, but this takes longer, because I have to buy it first.)

So, the goal of the map is not to show users everything, but only scenery worth getting. And although the "yellow" (okay) rated airports are indeed okay and good to have if you fly at the place, they will probably be removed once something better gets available.

And of course all is my subjective rating.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

And if you have read the title of the map, you know why this is the case.

Ouch. Gotcha. :( .

Jan's (Janov) airports are very very accurate, and I highly appreciate his hard work.

To me there are more important things to an airport than just some buildings with a photoreal texture on it.

I would rather have his hundreds of accurate lego brick airports, than one, two or three good airports with some custom objects.

Greetings,

-Marcus

Jan's (Janov) airports are very very accurate, and I highly appreciate his hard work.

To me there are more important things to an airport than just some buildings with a photoreal texture on it.

I would rather have his hundreds of accurate lego brick airports, than one, two or three good airports with some custom objects.

Greetings,

-Marcus

That may be the case, but that's not my goal with my map. We already have a lot of airports maps showing each and every available scenery. It deliberately only very rarely includes airports which are only made of default objects.

This map is for users searching for airports which are not only accurate in terms of layout and stuff like exclusions, AI routes, etc., (these are basics, and lots of scenery not even does this right), but also have a lively feeling (realistically used static objects, maybe even ground traffic), good & performant lighting, and, at least in case of payware, high quality modelling and textures.

If you have other requirements, this map is not the right tool for you, but it is for me (to remember what I have installed), and maybe also for others.

That may be the case, but that's not my goal with my map. We already have a lot of airports maps showing each and every available scenery. It deliberately only very rarely includes airports which are only made of default objects.

This map is for users searching for airports which are not only accurate in terms of layout and stuff like exclusions, AI routes, etc., (these are basics, and lots of scenery not even does this right), but also have a lively feeling (realistically used static objects, maybe even ground traffic), good & performant lighting, and, at least in case of payware, high quality modelling and textures.

If you have other requirements, this map is not the right tool for you, but it is for me (to remember what I have installed), and maybe also for others.

Ok, that makes sense. The airports I build are deliberately not using third-party scenery objects (because I aim for inclusion into the default X-Plane database with the next updates), and therefore I can never reach the level of fidelity that someone who uses OpenSceneryX, for example.

Jan

because I aim for inclusion into the default X-Plane database with the next updates

In your case, this is exactly the reason why I did not include any of your packages. Because they will become default airports sooner or later anyway. :)

To finish this discussion, I want to emphasize that I honor the work of all freeware developers, even if not included on the map.