Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

A tip...don't have your P3D on the root of your X: drive...

As I had went out and purchased a new drive just to host my P3D install....and had no intention of putting anything else upon it, I thought (thought it would be faster access, etc...) to install directly to the drive, which in this case was my F: drive.  

Well..since having P3D, there were a lot of times, that P3D would ramp up to 99 percent of the set-up travel mask...and then CTD.  If I deleted the SHADER folder..I could on the next attempt get to the numbers.  Well...Virtuali from GSX fame, told me yesterday in a thread (I was having his GSX installer crash out on me...) that that was a NO NO..and it would/could cause all sorts of install/running problems with software.

HE WAS RIGHT!

I (what a PAIN!) reinstalled my entire P3D in F:\P3D\ ...and not only did GSX install without a fuss...but now...each and every time I fire up P3D...there has been no further CTD's at the 99 percent load factor (not all the time..but more than less....)

So...like myself, if any of you have installed P3D on the root of ANY of your drives....uninstall...and reinstall within a folder. I only have the one folder, and will keep it that way. 

I just thought to put this out there...and I had no idea that not having software (I had never done this to date....) in a folder to separate it one layer from the root of the drive could spell install/uninstall and run trouble of the software in question.

Cheers!

Dont get you so well. The P3D v2 installer do it with folders by itself. What did you do?

Spirit

Yeah I an not understanding. My installation is on E/P3DFull/P3D. Is this ok?

Dont get you so well. The P3D v2 installer do it with folders by itself. What did you do?

Spirit

I manually sent it to the root, thinking it was going to be 'better'....than within one layer down, in a folder.  What a dutz.  Of course, I shall never do that again...!

Hi Mitch,

well, now you know it. :o

Spirit

That's pretty well.

Spirit

Yes...for your installation is in a folder...

Mine was (all the files that the P3D installer routine placed..were on the F: drive and not as such F:P3d\

I had no folders ...all the files were naked...and that caused me all sorts of problems, as was so correctly pointed out to me in a thread here, yesterday...the 'can't install GSX thread'.

P3Dv2 is fine in any location. I have FSX, XP10 and P3Dv2 on C: with Windows 8 and they all run SUPER. I also never had any problems with FSDT Products

I really don't grasp why people don't let the software install in the path it defaults to (just choose a desired drive, leave the rest of the path alone). If it's for addons... anything that doesn't function within that path shouldn't be used.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

P3Dv2 is fine in any location. I have FSX, XP10 and P3Dv2 on C: with Windows 8 and they all run SUPER. I also never had any problems with FSDT Products

They can be in any location...but need to be inside a folder. My F: drive had no folder...and I wanted to install right to the root. That was not a good idea, as I found out...and have since corrected...

The point of my head's-up thread was to document what problems I had in doing so...and for others to avoid it all-together...  Put all sim files into its own folder..and you are good to go.  I only ever did this once...with P3D's initial install,..and now know better.... :)

In shorter sentences, do not attempt to install to this drive:path...

X:\

Do install to something like this...

X:\P3Dv2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have had no issues with installing in root drive at all..my addons work well

I have had no issues with installing in root drive at all..my addons work well

Try installing GSX Ground Services from the latest installer. It won't.....

If P3D is in a folder....no problem. Ten seconds...and you have GSX.....(of course you have to have purchased the rights to it...)

It's a commonly known bad idea to install Flightsim-anything in its default location C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\..  The permissions for this old game is from the Window 2000/XP generation and they were never designed to cooperate with UAC (Vista and later) - admin or not.

Your best/fastest location for reading the 100's of thousands of files is to install it just off the root of a dedicated (NON PARTITIONED) HDD, such E:\FSX or E:\P3Dv2, etc...  When finished installing all add-ons and tweaks, then defrag the dedicated HDD, sorting by filename with a quality 3rd party defrag-tool.

You should never install any program directly to the root of any drive (as the OP discovered).

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

It's a commonly known bad idea to install Flightsim-anything in its default location C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\..  The permissions for this old game is from the Window 2000/XP generation and they were never designed to cooperate with UAC (Vista and later) - admin or not.

Your best/fastest location for reading the 100's of thousands of files is to install it just off the root of a dedicated (NON PARTITIONED) HDD, such E:\FSX or E:\P3Dv2, etc...  When finished installing all add-ons and tweaks, then defrag the dedicated HDD, sorting by filename with a quality 3rd party defrag-tool.

You should never install any program directly to the root of any drive (as the OP discovered).

I have FSX installed in the default path. I have Prepar3D installed in the default path.

Both reside on an SSD drive.. the rest of your statement does not apply.

I have zero problems.

I can also assure you that the 'permissions' are not an issue as the individual application can't control it's permissions. The OS is the permission problem and there are guidelines on how to avoid problems when writing software for the OS. When developers refuse to abide by them, things go wrong. Simple as that.

As everything I use in the sim abides by the security requirements of the OS... I have zero problems.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69