Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

A tip...don't have your P3D on the root of your X: drive...

In shorter sentences, do not attempt to install to this drive:path...

X:\

Do install to something like this...

X:\P3Dv2

That's right...that pretty well sums up the intent of the thread.   It must be an O.S. 'thing'.

I have FSX installed in the default path. I have Prepar3D installed in the default path.

Both reside on an SSD drive.. the rest of your statement does not apply.

I have zero problems.

I complete agree. Besides, today generally people don't install their flight sim to the OS drive, so it doesn't really matter. Even if one does install to c:/program files (x86)/... it rarely causes any problems. This is another issue from 8 years ago.

So this is a Virtuali issue?

I've installed P3D to V:\  without issues.

Cheers, Rob.

So this is a Virtuali issue?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob...with all the files of P3D and its other FOLDER files within those out upon the actual root level of the drive.......I had CTD's quite a bit at the 99.9 percent flight loading, before the shaders took over.  I also could NOT successfully install GSX from the full installer.  I took Virtuali's advice to put it all in a P3D Root folder...and I no longer have ANY CTD episodes..as well as the installer worked perfectly.  The installer would find my F:\ but would crap out as soon as it tried to put files to the drive.  With F:\P3D in play...not one problem. I run with W7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Mitch

Rob, did P3D then not create its own folder?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Rob, did P3D then not create its own folder?

I can re-test a clean full install if you like to double check, but no folder was created when I did this a few months back.  It make take a while for me to get around to re-testing this as I've got several other beta products for P3D 2.x I'm testing on right now.

As far as Virtuali ... and this root drive scenario, it'll be a while before I can get to testing that ... now that KIAH is out and KDEN I might "try" Virtuali again -- hopefully FSDT and FB new work isn't using any ASM related stuff.

Cheers, Rob.

It's not really that important to me Rob. I just have a high aversion to installing anything to any drive's root level, largely stemming from the bitter experiences of having to fix customer's computers back in the ancient days of DOS...

Many of these folks literally had no directory (now called folder) structure at all, but had everything dumped into C:\ including all of their documents. It would sometimes take days to sort out and fix the mess, and was always an expensive and painful lesson for the customer. :Money Eyes:

Fr. Bill    

I just have a high aversion to installing anything to the any drive's root level, largely stemming from the bitter experiences of having to fix customer's computers back in the ancient days of DOS...

Agree, I don't typically do this either, I think I was just testing out something when I did do this - temp install.  I normally run at least 1 dir down on a separate physical drive.  I do try to avoid making my dirs too verbose as I have on occasion ran into path length issues.

I do try to avoid making my dirs too verbose as I have on occasion ran into path length issues.

That is precisely the reason why I recommend that folks not install any of the FSX/P3D SDKs to their "suggested default paths..."

...as it is entirely possible that the complete paths may well be too long when trying to invoke some of the DOS type command line utility programs with all of the switches and parameters required! :Black Eye:

Fr. Bill