Sign in to follow this  

P3D 2.2 on Windows 8.1: anything I should know?

I am getting my new PC next week (or so) and I will install Windows 8.1. Is there anything I have to know in order to get P3D working well? I also use TrackIR: afaik the latest official release is already W8 ready. But other than that I don't have a clue what to watch out for...

Hi Jeroen,

everything works well on Windows 8.1 here. I didn't do anything special because I did the upgrade when P3D v2 was already installed.

Spirit

I prefer it to 7... less stutters maybe? depends on your VRAM of which i have 4G

Be alert for USB devices going to sleep at random times.  If you experience that, there are some settings in device manager that will keep that from happening.

I'm running 8.1 (not by choice), and that has been the only issue that nailed me.

- Gavin

Updated last week,No issues.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Ok, thanks all!

Be alert for USB devices going to sleep at random times.  If you experience that, there are some settings in device manager that will keep that from happening.

I'm running 8.1 (not by choice), and that has been the only issue that nailed me.

- Gavin

Is that what makes P3D "not show" the joystick after a while in settings?  (When it reverts to just Mouse Yoke in Control settings)

That was the problem for my system.  In device manager, under USB controllers, I right-clicked each item and made sure that the system was not allowed to turn off the device to save power.

- Gavin

Control Panel/Power Options

Its all there

Not everything is there!  Not for the USB controllers themselves.

If you go into Device Manager and look at the properties for some of the devices under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", there is a tab called "Power Management".

Look for the option called "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

On my system (Win 8.1), even after turning off all power save items in Control Panel Power Options, my Device Manager settings were causing all of my Saitek controllers to drop out of windows.

Once I un-ticked that item for each USB device in Device Manager, it never happened again.

- Gavin

Once I un-ticked that item for each USB device in Device Manager, it never happened again.

Thanks for that info, Gavin.  I had tried the earlier suggestion and would still get my x55 and pedals to drop out of P3D occasionally.  Went through the Device Manager list and sure enough, 2 of the USB ports had the tick marks checked.  BZ to you, good sir.

Mike D.

As said before DO NOT install P3D in the Program Files (86) folder, create a new folder in the root.

FYI on Win8.1

the system will through you an "out of memory exception"

just like that out of the blue and for no apparent reason

if you hit cancel you can go back to the sim and continue flying

Installed P3D 2.2 on my new PC yesterday and also TrackIR, FTX, etc. No problems so far! Windows 8.1 Update doesn't look, work and feel as different from Windows 7 as I feared, I have to say! ;)

Hi Jeroen,

congratulations to the successful installation of your new system.

As I always said and still say, Windows 8.1 is pretty good and nothing to worry about. Too many "experts" around which want make us believe it is not working with FS.

Spirit