Sign in to follow this  
luckyb52

How Do I Get Rid of Sawtooth Edges?

Hi All,

In spite of a beast-like computer, I still see fine sawtooth edges on the wings of my Majestic Q400. Pl advise me on what I need to tweak to get rid of them.

I have selected anisotropic sampling and anti-aliasing in FSX. My comp specs are i4770k o/c 4.5 GHz, Zortac GTX 780 (3 GB), 8 GB RAM at 1600 Hz, 120 GB SSD, 500 GB HDD. My addons are MyTraffic2013, FS2crew, FTX Global and occasion various hi-res airports like YBBN and EGHI.

I look forwad keenly to your suggestions. Thanks a ton in advance for them!

Best,

Lucky

///////////

Can we see an image? I think you have an Anti aliasing issue but I cannot be certain by your description. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Lucky, I think your best bet is to adjust settings via Nvidia Inspector...

Behavior flags: None

Antialiasing mode: Override application settings

Antialiasing setting: Try 8x CSAA to start

Antilaliasing Multisampling: Disabled

Antialiasing Supersampling: Try 4x sparse grid super sampling to start

also while you're at it, set Antistropic filtering to 16x and override

If anyone knows how to adjust these settings better, hopefully they will post, but from what I've garnered from reading a few threads and guides, I'm fairly sure this is an aggressive AA setup that will help a lot.

yep - it certainly sounds as if his AA settings are to low or AA has not ben disabled in FSX to get the Nvidia AA working.

One other potential solution to this is to increase the screen resolution.  If you can go high enough, you hardly need any AA at all.

If he is in DX10 mode, he may find problems getting AA to work well - I'm told it should, but never had much success in DX10.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I have a pretty high end system and had the "jaggies" also.  I never tried to fix it, but I just made the changes as described by BeechPapa and it did make  a noticeable difference for the best. 

Paul Gugliotta

Glad to hear it helped, Paul. These settings used to be pretty hard on my old card but are usable after upgrading GPUs. I seem to notice a tad less smoothness while panning, but have a hard time telling if that's a placebo effect or not because the fps stays the same. Please let us know if you have any performance impact. Sometimes I am tempted to disable aa for guaranteed smoothness, but it's hard to go back once you've seen a non-shimmering cockpit, distant objects, etc. 

the default antialiasing i think is something like 2x. nvidia inspector is a "must have" to use those advanced modes.

i use 2x sparse grid and 8xS regular and barely notice an fps difference but the visual improvement is very good with a gtx 650. i originally started tweaking from using this guy's settings list-> http://airdailyx.blogspot.com/2013/04/nvidia-inspector-settings.html

cheers

-andy crosby

Hi MisterA, BeechPapa, HUSSAR, cianpars, paulyg123 & spesimen:

Thanks for the great tips! I'm keenly looking forward to smooth edges and will post back here with results ---

Best,

Lucky

///////////////

I just use 4x4 antialiasing along with 2 Sparse Grid Supersambling which gives me a reasonable trade between visuals/performance.

I do not see any jaggies apart from some in the far distant during climbs, but who really looks around at scenery on commercial planes anyway?

Anisotropic I didn't set at all... Just FSX default setting, gives great visuals, no blurries as per kostas guide.