Sign in to follow this  
sonebone

Having trouble getting going.....ughh

Hi I could use some help.......So I finally decided to jump into FSX from FS9 (still use it). Bought the huge new hardware 780 ti I7 4770 clocked to 4.2 16 gig 1800 ram etc so that I can have the power to run fsx......I read the avsim guide for installing and tweaking and tried following as instructed. I installed the game, ran it, shut it down installed SP1 ran it again shut it down installed sp2 and ran it again. I tweaked the cfg. Ran inspector....however the new inspector does not give me the same tweak values as an older version.....Anyway did what I could and started up the unit pretty virgin and started flying....now I like to view outside the plane and pan around but when I do this the video showing the ground tends to roll and shake as I Pan (not nice at all)....Has this happened to anyone else out there? BTW tried uninstalling and reinstalling same problem.....Thanks for all help...Happy fourth..................

I tweaked the cfg

This is your problem. What did you tweak? The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide says no tweaking recommended. You have a fast enough system to run FSX w/o tweaks. Most problems have occurred with the Bufferpool "tweak" and/or the Job Scheduler "tweak". If you go to the AVSIM CTD Forum you will find several members who have fixed their problems by removing these two tweaks. The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide shows you how to fix (ground rolling and shaking as you pan or shimmering) on page 9.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Sounds like a Vsynch problem.

Make sure Vsynch is set to "always on" in NI, or better set it to

"1/2 monitor refresh rate" and fix fps at 30 in FSX.

Bert

Thanks for your suggestions but Firehawk I tweaked the cfg cause it says to do it in the guide pages 10-12.....Page 9 deals with install and Nvidia Inspector......unfortunately I could not access the link where people gave their inspector values....I also tried the DX10 suggestions cause I read where a lot of people like it.......One thing I did notice was that the ground rolling started after I installed sp1.................My gosh I would have thought that the problems would arise from third party software not from virgin install..........I guess I have that to look forward to as well........

Bert: I changed Vsynch to always on......

So far nothing has helped with the ground rolls when outside panning......But guys please hang in there with me to help get it corrected.....This is very complicated stuff for a game/sim..............................

Firehawk I just went back to the FSX forums with clearer eyes then I had yesterday and found your config guide on the right side of the page. It is different then the install guide I was following....I will read through that and try again and let you know what happens.....

Thanks for your suggestions but Firehawk I tweaked the cfg cause it says to do it in the guide pages 10-12.....

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide has 11 total pages. Perhaps you have an older guide. The current guide is located to the right of this forum under Hot Spots.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi I could use some help.......So I finally decided to jump into FSX from FS9 (still use it). Bought the huge new hardware 780 ti I7 4770 clocked to 4.2 16 gig 1800 ram etc so that I can have the power to run fsx......I read the avsim guide for installing and tweaking and tried following as instructed. I installed the game, ran it, shut it down installed SP1 ran it again shut it down installed sp2 and ran it again. I tweaked the cfg. Ran inspector....however the new inspector does not give me the same tweak values as an older version.....Anyway did what I could and started up the unit pretty virgin and started flying....now I like to view outside the plane and pan around but when I do this the video showing the ground tends to roll and shake as I Pan (not nice at all)....Has this happened to anyone else out there? BTW tried uninstalling and reinstalling same problem.....Thanks for all help...Happy fourth..................

Your first mistake was "Tweaking". Less is better, you need to get your virgin FSX running "smooth" (FPS means nothing in FSX) as possible then start adding and "maybe" tweaking. Seriously consider DX10 you won't be disappointed especially with the ""Fixer" from Steve. Some Tweaks are unavoidable, like "HGHMEMFIX=1 in FSX.cfg. Slow and deliberate is the key to FSX. Above all, "One Step at a Time".

Agreed. Start with your basic setup with SP2. Then go to your config and add 'highmemfix=1' and if you have a widescreen monitor then change "WideViewAspect" from false to true. Then load up FSX and set your sliders to a modest setting. Then you fly and see how it runs, forget frame rates and look for smoothness.

Once you get that then you can start moving the sliders up.

There is no holy bible of FSX tweaks, there are a lot of rumours and people saying that you do this or that, but everyone has different expectations and setups.

If you are flying FSX with no addons then you will have no problems. Start adding land textures, HD aircraft with loads of systems, cloud texture, real world weather and all the other FSX addons, then you might need to start looking at tweaks.

With regards to DX10, yes it will help with VAS usage and may help with frame-rates, however it does come with it's one set of problems. The fixer is a work around for a system that was a demo version. It was Aces and Microsoft's way of testing DX10 in the flight sim platform, ready for the next outing, which never came. Steve fox takes it a step further and helps out a lot, however many developers don't support it and some airports have no lights or missing textures.

Thanks for responses guys.....Firehawk I read your guide and applied what you wrote....Still getting bad ground roll when outside panning. Inside cockpit I can pan around no problem....Another problem I seem to have is frame rates I noticed from reading Firehawks guide that people are getting 80-100 even more fps but I got 42-58 at best with no add-ons...with a couple of test FSDream team airports KFLL flying a default 737 was getting 27 FPS...with my high end rig should I not be getting a lot more? Another noticeable problem when flying outside plane is graphic flashing......maybe this stuff is over my head. I have no problems with FS9

Voodoo...as I was saying I have a high end rig I7 4770k, 16gb Ram 1800  GTX 780 TI I think with 3 gb ...my cpu is clocked up as far as I can go 4.2.......I thought this setup would run full detail from the start........

There should be no reason why I cant this to work.......... 

Anyways happy fourth....mine is raining out

I also have a 4770K... suggest setting fps locked to 30 inside FSX and leave it there.

Then in NI set Vsynch to 1/2 monitor refresh...  test for smoothness, not framerates.

If you can maintain 30 fps you are doing fine.. and do NOT run full detail.. no rig can maintain that

at busy airports - period.   Start with low traffic and weather settings!  Turn off shadows, bloom etc

Bert

I can tell you that if you get sucked into frame rates you will go nuts chasing your tail. I get 12 - 39 fps and it is smooth as glass. FPS means absolutely nothing in FSX not even a good source of system comparison. BTW, my FPS is set to "Unlimited", everyone has different settings and tweaks, this is going to be a long journey well worth while if you heed the ground rules - 'Take it Slow, One at a Time".

Get it running in DX9 first then migrate to DX10. DX10 will not give better performance, just stability and great visuals.

Hey Bert done all that ....my main problem is the ground roll when panning......most annoying.......

You are chasing your tail keeping worrying about the same problem. FSX is a piece of software built in 2006 before quad core processors was the thing of beauty, when a graphic card was a top card with 512mb and DX11 was a twinkle in Microsoft's eye. It does not use the processor to it's full ability, it does not use graphics cards to full ability.

I have a i5 ivybridge clocked at 4.3gb, a GTX670 with 4gb of memory and 12gb of DDR3 memory. I can run the latest games at highest setting with smooth results, but not FSX.

I recently did a flight from UK2000 London Heathrow to Taxi2Gate Orlando, with the PMDG 777. During flight in REX clouds with ASN providing the weather over OrbX ground textures, I was getting 60 to 70 fps according to FSX (although FSX is not very good at reading frames). On taxi to the runway I was running about 20fps, yes I would love to have frames of 30 to 40 on taxi, but it doesn't work that way. 20fps was smooth enough to taxi and so that is what I set up to, I lowered my setting to get that.

If you are getting stutters at an airport then you need to lower your settings until you are smooth at that point. There is no magic fix that you can set in the cfg.

There is however, a new program that is said to help by FSPS called Fibre Accelerator which may help you.

And one more thing to worry about. FSX is a 32bit program and as such has a 4GB memory limit if you are running a 64bit operating system. This is not affected by the amount of memory installed in your system. Do a search for VAS memory and you will find out more.

Basically the more you push FSX with textures, the more VAS you use, the closer to this limit you come. Hit the 4GB limit and you get an 'Out Of Memory' error and a crash.

Wow FS9 is so much easier.....anyway with enough uninstalls and reinstalls I finally with the help of the configure guide got rid of the ground rolls....I still get some stutters and very bad Frame rates even though I am not at all max sliders. I also notice some flashing in ground scenery (FSDT KDFW) when I fly over it. I also notice now when I am outside the plane that it is weirdly stretched like your looking at it through a glass. Does this make sense to anyone?

What's your graphics card?  I'm running my 2700K at 5 ghz with water cooling - and with the NGX and Orbx software, REX weather textures and Opera running the weather, it's quite smooth with no tweaks in the cfg...I have a Radeon 5700 graphics card.

Note- even my rig won't run complicated add-on  airports without the sim becoming a slide show...