Sign in to follow this  
Raikiri

Progressing In The World of Flight Sim.

Hello! I'm a new member and I would like to announce that I'm in need of your help.

Okay, so here is my current situation..

I've been flying in FSX for quite awhile now; I've done most of the fight lessons by Rod Machado, meaning that I'm familiar (but not an expert) with VOR navigation, holding patterns, etc. ( in a Cessna ).

I have Ezdok and the 737NGX (the ONLY TWO addons I have) and I'm quite comfortable with starting it up, programming a route in the FMC (I don't use charts so I just select SIDs and STARs suitable to the runway by trial and error), and I've done many short hops with this amazing aircraft. The things I'm not entirely familiar with this plane are mainly in the FMC such as programming a holding pattern, using VOR navigation, offsets, alternate destinations, adjusting ETA......still have alot to learn.

Anyways, what I desire to know is where can I go from here? Are there any addons (preferably inexpensive and doesn't have an impact on FPS since the two addons I have are running perfectly fine) that will further my enjoyment?

I've had my eyes on VATSIM for some time now, watching videos on YouTube. Would it be a good step for me to join VATSIM? I also want to join a virtual airline :)

Given the situation I have above, I hope you guys can give me the next step! Any form of help/guidance will be GREATLY APPRECIATED whether rude or polite, blunt or specific. :D

If you can't fly holding patterns or other basic FMC functions don't use VATSIM as you'll be expected to know how to fly that bird inside out!

To go from a Cessna to a 737 is a big jump, not something done in the real world.

For training, look for Angle of Attack training which is supposed to be quite in depth of the NGX. Otherwise there are loads of training videos on YouTube that will help you out. Look for FSXpilot767 channel, he does some very good NGX training videos. Have you done the PMDG tutorials?

Why not get something like the Majestic Q400 with Airline2Sim training to get the basics then progress from there.

Lastly, if you are just picking SIDS and STARS at random, based on runway then you need to learn about these. A good flight planner will also pick one for you such as PFPX, although in real life ATC might change your plans.

Before starting out on real person like VATSIM, I would try an add-on ATC such as VoxATC or Pro Flight Emulator. These will help you out with the phraseology with ATC. It's not perfect but it will help. I believe that VATSIM controllers are quite helpful and friendly, however even they have limits with newbie's. 

There is some VA groups that will help you with training and other things like IVAO but you can use youtube to help you with learning to read charts and there is plenty of free flight planners online that you can use before you vatsim

-Paul-

Thanks very much for your help! I didn't expect replies coming in so soon!

To begin with,

If you can't fly holding patterns or other basic FMC functions don't use VATSIM as you'll be expected to know how to fly that bird inside out!

I know this might seem like a dumb question, but how would I go about doing this? Is it just a matter of reading/studying the Flight Crew Training Manual to learn this aircraft inside out? Would repeatedly doing Tutorials 1 and 2 (especially 2) suffice? In your experience, in what way did you learn the 737NGX?

Have you done the PMDG tutorials?

Yes, I've gone through both of the tutorials!  :BigGrin:. I completed Tutorial #1 once and Tutorial #2 twice. (Had to repeat the Innsbruck Approach since I had landed on Runway 26 thinking that wasn't so bad at all, before realising that Rwy 8 was the intended runway!)  :blink2: 

Why not get something like the Majestic Q400 with Airline2Sim training to get the basics then progress from there.

I will not be purchasing another aircraft for awhile, so I'm happily "stuck" with the 737NGX for the moment. 

Before starting out on real person like VATSIM, I would try an add-on ATC such as VoxATC or Pro Flight Emulator.

I will research both of these add-ons. Which one would you recommend?

Having read the replies, looks like VATSIM much of a huge obstacle for me! Once again, thank you very much for the advice!  :BigGrin: 

If you are thinking of going on VATSIM then I think VoxATC would be the better option. It is voice control and you will get using ATC phraseology. I don't believe it is 100% accurate, but it will get you started. It does us TTS voices which are a bit robotic but you can purchase new voices off the net that sound more realistic. It also uses NavData so you can fly SIDS and STARS with restrictions.

Pro Flight Emulator is button controlled so you press the option numbers and it speaks for you. You can learn from it. It is a bit more work to set up and you will have to enter the SIDS and STARS from the flightplan and it does not have restrictions. It will tell you to climb even though the FMS says that you should stay at a certain height,

Definitely check out the video's on YouTube, there are probably more training video's on the NGX then any other FSX aircraft out there.

Three letters: A S N

Ah! I've considered this add-on but haven't really put much of my attention to it. I'll have to look into it more!

It also uses NavData so you can fly SIDS and STARS with restrictions.

Does the VoxATC have the latest NavData? If so, must I update the NGX's NavData so that it matches the one in VoxATC?

Just to add to the ATC add-ons, is PRO-ATC any good? I know it doesn't have voice control, but would this be a recommended ATC add-on to practice with?

Not an add-on, but have a look at this:  http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Pilots-Training/dp/0764588222/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404518320&sr=8-1&keywords=real+world+training+pilots

It'll take you from the basics in the Cub, to more complicated stuff in the 172, then on to complex aircraft and instrument flight in the Mooney, and then multi-engine in the Baron. There's an introduction to turboprops with the King Air, and then on to the 737, The A2A Cub and C172, RealAir Lancair and piston and Turbine Dukes are also good high quality equivalents for the aircraft specified. If your system can hack the NGX then I wouldn't imagine any of these would cause it any problems.

The book actually written for real-world pilots, but is perfect for simmers, and there are downloadable flights that go with each of the lessons.

VoxATC uses the navdata from the Level D, however you do not need the Level D aircraft, just the navdata.

Navdata for the NGX and the Level D (Vox), along with many others including PFPX, is available from Navigraph, look at there website for prices. You don't really need to have the latest navdata for sim use unless you want complete realism. Airlines update the on regular occasions, the same a charts, however in sim world it is as far as your imagination takes you. You do need to have the same navdata cycle in your NGX, ATC and your planner so they are all working off the same information.

As for ProATC X, I have not purchased this. This is a relative new boy in the world of FSX ATC, however reading there forum will give you advice on how it is going. Basically it was plagued with bugs when it was released, people bought on the promise of updates which came fast and furious at the beginning then dried out. Promises was also made to as to voice control. When people complained or asked about updates, post was deleted or people was met with abuse from the moderators. Apparently they are constantly been promising a big update to address the problems, but this is still yet to appear.

+1 for ASN, especially as the PMDG 777 is going to get weather radar plus many other extras, all working with ASN. I'm guessing that the NGX will get the same treatment in the next update, but don't quote me on that. 

Just to add to the ATC add-ons, is PRO-ATC any good? I know it doesn't have voice control, but would this be a recommended ATC add-on to practice with?

It's expensive (@$62) but I like it. With ProATC-X you'll have simulated background ATC during your flight (you can use the default ATC to listen about ATC warnings of other aircraft in the area). It has a great flight planner that includes SID's and STAR's. What I like about it the best is that it will employ a co-pilot to fly your aircraft while you enjoy the scenery from wing view or monitor the primary flight display and other aircraft settings. This has been a sore-spot for me for years in that most aircraft developers say their aircraft is "as real as it gets" but it is very difficult to fly with just the Captain (YOU!)onboard doing everything. So, as ATC directs your aircraft to a higher altitude or faster speed, the co-pilot will handle this and he/she will also manage communications with ATC on the ground, in the air, and then at your destination. The default ATC does not do this or any other product. There will be some anomalies with this program though, like you might take off or land with the wind behind you instead of in front of you. Sometimes ATC will wait until the last moment to give you clearance for a particular runway to land at giving you little time to prepare the flight management computer for the landing. But that's fairly rare. You will have to find the runway too as it is difficult (for me) to find the runway using their utility. If the aircraft has a FMC/CDU, you will have to program that but it's neat with aircraft like the PMDG 737 where you can request the flight plan and ProATC will upload the flight plan into the FMC saving you lots of time. The co-pilot does not change all of the settings for every aircraft such as the PMDG777 so you will have to make those changes. But he/she still handles the communications for these super heavy aircraft (for the default aircraft, the co-pilot will handle everything even with the 777 and 747. It's just some aircraft like the PMDG 777 that is not fully compatible). So, if you want to download the repaint for the default 747 (Air Force One) - http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/3212/fsx-air-force-one-boeing-747-400/, you can have a co-pilot help you bring this heavy down for a safe landing with ProATC-X. Be forewarned though. There are a lot of members here who do not like ProATC-X and have publically so-stated (search for ProATC in the FSX Forum). The developer has not updated the product for over a year but they say a major update is coming soon. I happen to believe it will eventually be updated with a whole new interface and maybe compatible with the new Prepared3D program by Lockheed Martin. But, right now I like it like it is...

Welcome to AVSIM!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you all very much for the guidance! I highly appreciate it! 

Here's an update on what I've done so far based on the advice given,

As suggested by voodoo101, I've watched most of FSXpilot767's 737NGX tutorials and they are excellent! They certainly helped to fill the gap on what I didn't know, such as programming holding patterns, using Altitude Intervention, V/S, Level Change etc.

I've done quite a lot of research on ATC add-ons that were mentioned and all were good. It looks like I'll be purchasing VoxATC (really liking the voice control) and as suggested here, it's the best one to practise on for VATSIM. (Maybe even for real world as well?)

Glad we could be of help. We all have to learn somewhere and it helps to be pointed in the right direction sometimes.

I don't use charts so I just select SIDs and STARs suitable to the runway by trial and error

Why? They don't bite.