Sign in to follow this  
Guest hotwheels71

A Flight Sim Addict

Guest hotwheels71

Hi there. I wanted to officially apply to join the pantheon of flight-sim addicts, based on my recent embarrassing behavior. :-)Here's what I did. I turned on an MP3 recorder (software that records from the soundcard in realtime and saves the result as an MP3), and did a couple of short hops from Washington Dulles to Philly Int'l, recording the whole thing. Then I imported the files into iTunes, and put them on my iPod.Now I can play flight simulator ANYTIME! I stayed up insanely late last night to do this. The first flight was a "quiet flight"; the second flight was a "busy flight", with higher AI traffic (Ultimate Traffic ROCKS!) and the full complement of cabin announcements (Marcus Thompson's FlightDeck SFX rocks too!). (I also want to send a shout out to Rob Barendregt for his killer groundhandling gauges. Especially love the Auto-Taxi after landing, which I discovered last night after getting comfortable with the pushback routine.)Anyway, I wanted to do this mp3 thing so that I could have some pleasant background noise at work (I love the soft, calming hum of a 737 in flight). But I was so eager to try it out that I played it in the car this morning as I drove my 3-year old son to preschool. (He wanted to listen to the Wiggles, but I exercised parental privilege. Fortunately, he likes airplanes!) We talked all the way through the gate departure and some of the taxiing sequence...Had to fast-forward to takeoff though, so he got to hear it before we got to preschool. It is so cool to be able to listen to my flights...I can picture everything as I hear it, so it's like playing the game without actually playing it.And then I got an even crazier idea...this could be fun stuff to listen to. Anyone want to record one of their flights and trade mp3's? Heh-heh.(So do I get in the pantheon, or what?)

Guest lemonadedrinker

>>(So do I get in the pantheon, or what?)I think so, yes, and to turn your son into an addict at his tender age gets you 2 extra points and the baseball cap ( when they come on-stream)

Yep, I think that qualifies for addiction. :)But I've been known to post screenshots just so I can relive moments from my flights when I'm away from home.-John

I like to use flightsim screenshots as background images in my phone. Does that count? :(

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest hotwheels71

>Hey what software did you use to record? I shopped around and tried several demos (all of which have severe time limitations, i.e., 3 mins and less). The one I liked best was Audio Record Wizard (only a surface review, but it worked perfectly the first time, had the longest demo record time, and offers some nice options for mp3 output quality). Freecorder was cool because it has a free version, but the free version only records at 68kbps...making for pretty grainy, tinny sound. And if I was going to pay for it, I'd rather have Audio Record Wizard (http://www.sound-recorder.com/)The prices I saw ranged from $19.95 to $34.95.But then I remembered that I had an old copy of Roxio Easy CD Creator (version 5), and I thought I remembered that it could rip right from the soundcard...I'd done some of that years ago ripping old cassette tapes into my computer. I fired it up again and sure enough, I could do it right there. So I didn't have to buy anything after all, though I don't have any options for sound quality level. I don't even know what bitrate it records at, but it sounds just as good coming from the MP3 as it did playing the game, and the file sizes don't seem too big.If you google on MP3 Recorder, you'll get a bunch of products listed to check out.Hope this helps, and thanks for everyone's feedback.

>I like to use flightsim screenshots as background images in>my phone. Does that count? :(AWESOME!!!

Guest Kingair315

On the Capitols Tour for Freedom Air, I took a tour in a 172 around each capitol... Making screenshots of all the highlights, usually beginning at dawn, as I like the sunrise colors. Then, took the best of them, and made a screensaver, sent a copy to each of my children and 19 grandchildren.... Then, I leave my monitor on all evening when my wife is home, so when we're watching TV, I can look over and see the picture show on the screen...For - Real Wings - You can wear - Just a bit smaller than the Logo ... Just Fly Anything from a C172 to B777 or others for Freedom Air. For More Info Click Link: http://groups.msn.com/FreedomAirINFO/_whatsnew.msnwhttp://forums.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_f...f1020e57f58.jpg

Guest hotwheels71

That sounds great, kingair.Would you share that screensaver with me? That sounds cool! :-)If so, you can send it to my email address: avsim@juddmiller.mailshell.com

Guest hotwheels71

I've posted a web page with my flights, screenshots, and MP3s of my flights like I was just talking about, if you want to check it out.Just go to http://www.ninja-web.com/FS9/Would love to hear what you all think...

I`m impressed! However, you are amongst friends. I once posted a thread on the joy of the FS Sickie; one of those days, following the release of a much anticipated addon, where the whole concept of shutting down FS is impossible and the office has to do without you! CheersLungs

Guest Kingair315

We are getting ready to go on vacation in AZ for two weeks tonight, to take about 1000 pictures... (We are both artists, use them for Painting Materiel, we sell our paintings on eBay... Sold 9 in the last two weeks, and every one Ive listed this year)... So cant look for it now (have about 800 CD disks) will try to remember when I get back. But at 75 have so much stuff in my head to remember, some things do not surface... If you dont hear back in 2-3 weeks, send me an email at Artist@pacbell.net as a reminder...For - Real Wings - You can wear - Just a bit smaller than the Logo ... Just Fly Anything from a C172 to B777 or others for Freedom Air. For More Info Click Link: http://groups.msn.com/FreedomAirINFO/_whatsnew.msnwhttp://forums.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_f...f1020e57f58.jpg

Guest hotwheels71

You're very kind, kingair, thanks!Have a great trip. And congrats on your sales!