Sign in to follow this  
GMFM

NIS detects and deletes the .msi file

Hi,

I have been using VoxATC from the onset.  Never had a problem during installation due to an Antivirus or firewall, until today.

Downloaded version 6.46.  Deleted version 6.34.  Un-zipped the new download and as soon as it unpacked, Norton classified the .msi as a high security risk and deleted it (quarantined).

I re-classified the file as safe and re-instated it.  The installation went as planned and all seem to be ok until I tried to run "Flight Plan Trainer".  Yet again Norton stopped the application from running as it deemed it high risk.  Upon further inspection I found the following -allegedly, high risk files: "linezer0.part01.rar" and "lzpdffr01.zip" reported as compressed threats.

Could someone throw a light on this issue.  Thank you.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ANSWERING IF YOUR SUGGESTION IS TO REMOVE NORTON INTERNET SECURITY

Did you "delete it" or Uninstall it?

Which version of Windows do you use?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

As per instructions, un-installed via Control Panel.

Which version of Windows do you use?

Best Regards,

Sounds like a false positive. Norton can't read inside the file so it flags it as a virus to be safe. I wouldn't thought that it was a virus as this version has been out for a while now so other people would have found it. Antivirus programs can be a bit overzealous sometimes.

Rule number one in PC's is "it is never a virus". As long as you download it from a reputable place, don't open email attachments from people you do not know, click on suspect pages or listen to these web pages that say "Your flash player is out of date", or "Internet Explorer is out of date" then you should be OK.

@voodoo101: Thanks.  I decided to take a chance after several scans and re-classified it as safe.  All is well and working.

@vonmar: W7, although I don't see the relevance.  Thank you for answering and help

@GMFM ,

" Norton classified the .msi as a high security risk and deleted it (quarantined)."
"W7, although I don't see the relevance."

Well, the relevance is in the VOXatc readme file for VoxATC X Version 6.45

It mentions:
If you are installing VoxATC on Windows Vista/Win 7/Win 8, run setup.exe not VASetup.msi.

And you used the msi ....!

You are welcome.

Best Regards,

@vonmar: You are correct, in Windows 7 you start the installation via the setup.exe not VASetup.msi, however setup.exe runs VASetup.msi. The ops problems was that as soon as he extracted the download zip, Norton did an auto scan and flagged the msi as a virus, it then deleted it. Running setup.exe would have then failed as it had no file to open. Now the msi is a compressed folder in itself that contains the two zip files that was deleted after install, as Norton could not identify them it decided just to delete the who msi. When the op set the msi to safe, he installed ok however Norton then saw the zip files and deleted them. I don't think the op ever tried to install via the msi. That is why he is confused.

Craig,

Well, the OP said "PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ANSWERING IF YOUR SUGGESTION IS TO REMOVE NORTON INTERNET SECURITY" .

So I concluded he already verified Norton was not his problem.

So I was looking for any other possibility.

No harm, right ... when trying to sort out a problem that only one user is reporting?

And, Norton AntiVirus program was in fact the problem.

I got rid of Norton years ago ... never once have I missed it.

Best Regards,

@vonmar: No I quite agree, sometimes people do stupid things and don't check the basics, so I understand why you mentioned it, I was just clarifying why the op was confused. Antivirus programs can be a real pain with genuine software. I have had MSE as my virus protection since it came out and never had any problems, but lately I have had some FSX stutters. I traced it down to MSE, deleted and not a stutter in sight. I tried stopping MSE from scanning my FSX folder but no joy. I have now decided that my FSX pc will have no antivirus.