Sign in to follow this  
RPRIEVER

Skeletons in the (PMDG) closet

So how did a test with renamed dll.xml come out? Not hard to do. Also have you got DX9 or DX10?

Reason is I just fixed a system with exactly the same skeleton plane problem, an error in dll.xml. Unfortunately done over the phone and I never got to see dll.xml but reinstalled worked. With stock FSX and a PMDG there's very little load and so HIGHMEMFIX=1 is not a "cure" for skeleton planes but more like a cap to the sim load.

dll.xml is usually found in:

"C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX"

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...so let's say I renamed my dll.xml to dll.xml.sav and run up FSX.

If the plane is still a skeleton, then we know nothing loaded from dll.xml can be blamed and it's likely to be a file or folder problem. I would set the Write and Modify permissions for the Users group on the FSX program files folder (allow subfolders), and then try reinstalling the plane. If the plane is drawn in fully with dll.xml renamed, then it's more complicated, we would need to look at what's in the file.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

if this has not been fixed, the others are right, make sure you run windows update and double check you have the latest drivers.i do see you have windows 8.1, but that should not cause what you are experiencing. if you have the latest drivers, do a complete uninstall of fsx, and i mean everything (per pmdg uninstall guide). then start fresh. Looking at your PC specs, your pc is fine, but with FSX, are you using any service packs or acceleration?

I had this as well and I did get it fixed, Unfortunatley I can't rememebr exactly what it was.  Backup your FSX.cfg and let it rebuild another one.

This it what I did and then started putting back tweaks one by one till I found the culprit. Sorry I can't remeber the exact conflicting line.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

OK guys.....problem solved (I think).

I just got a response from the PMDG support team (Paul Gollnick, to be exact). He had mentioned several reports regarding the HIGHMEMFIX and issues with the SP2 (or, if you have it, the acceleration pack). The solution is to simply uninstall SP2 (or the accel pack), and then just reinstall it. Everything else can remain as is.  I just started FSX and the 777 pax version appeared normally. Haven't done any flying yet, will first take my time adding liveries, add-on scenery, etc.

Thanks to everyone for their input. And a special thanks to Paul G.