Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

How are yearly months defined in Australia\NZ versus Europe/USA?

That's odd as Santa and the whole season activities are associated with cold. How can that be rationalized in the summer, you'd think they'd have different holidays to associated with their seasonal reality down there.

Much of my family lives in Florida, where they wear shorts at Christmas time. I'm not religious, but I don't think Christmas started out as a story about reindeer and a fat guy in a red suit at the north pole. The winter aspects are only part of the culture because much of the western world lived in Europe and North America.

For David P- haven't seen any pet kangaroos here in Canada but my daughter raises Aussies !

I understand the concept of Christmas being celebrated at the same time everywhere- regardless of winter snow or summer heat - but how is it that folks down under, don't fall off the world - since they are always underneath and facing down. Gravity must be a lot stronger down there!  :P

january

For David P- haven't seen any pet kangaroos here in Canada but my daughter raises Aussies !

I understand the concept of Christmas being celebrated at the same time everywhere- regardless of winter snow or summer heat - but how is it that folks down under, don't fall off the world - since they are always underneath and facing down. Gravity must be a lot stronger down there! :P

january

We don't fall off the earth because we are issued with special gravity enhancing boots at birth. It's not unlike the thermal underwear that people in Europe wear in winter ;).

Much of my family lives in Florida, where they wear shorts at Christmas time. I'm not religious, but I don't think Christmas started out as a story about reindeer and a fat guy in a red suit at the north pole. The winter aspects are only part of the culture because much of the western world lived in Europe and North America.

Being the well traveled guy that Santa is, he probably won't be surprised to learn that he actually traces his origin to a place in northern Arabia which once went by the name of Tiamen.

Of course, it's slightly more complicated than that, but that is the joy of history.

And yes, we in the Southern hemisphere experience drain water in the sink spinning in an opposite direction going down the drain to those who live in the Northern hemisphere.

Ah, the eternal Coriolis effect myth. Although very real, too small to be of any relevance at the scale of draining water in a sink. If it does always spin in the "opposite" direction, it's probably because the manufacturer of the sink built in some bias towards that direction (so that people in the Southern Hemisphere wouldn't get too upset I suppose :unsure:  ).

Read carefully (very interesting reading):  http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html

It doesn't snow in Bethlehem in December either (or indeed ever!), and that's really the significant origin of Christmas right?

Advertisers in this part of the world have found ways to incorporate Santa into our summer Christmas. I've seen ads with him at the south pole, I've seen ads with him on a New Zealand beach, it doesn't matter to the target market (i.e. kids, or the parents by proxy!).

I cant speak for our cousins over the Tasman, but in NZ Christmas is a great time. Perhaps not dissimilar to July the 4th in the US, a lot of Christmas days are spent around a BBQ in the sun. Some families will still prepare a huge roast meal, eat it, argue over who has to do the dishes, then sit around in the heat wishing they hadn't eaten a huge roast meal... :lol:

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

For us December is the start of summer and just before Christmas is when school is off for summer holidays. School starts back at the end of February. 

I call New Zealand Backwards Land (Compared to the States). In the States you drive on the Right Side, we drive on the left, Water spins the other way when draining. Light switches are off by switching upwards and on by switching downwards, USA is off by switching downwards (which is the correct way for Safety reasons). Escalators in the mall go up and down the opposite side compared to USA, When you buy a house a northern view has a higher property value as you get more sunlight with a northern view.....I may be forgetting some other things but you get the picture

Matthew Kane

Santa used to have his sleigh pulled by 'six white boomers, snow white boomers' (kangaroos) whist on his delivery run in Australia, but recent events in the UK may require a rethink of motive power.

Cheers, SLuggy

Living in the UK one thing threw me when I visited my cousin in South Africa. The sun travelled across the sky from right to left - the opposite of what I'm used to!

Clearly logical when you think of it but it did temporarily throw me when I prepared my sunbed to catch a few rays!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The sun travelled across the sky from right to left - the opposite of what I'm used to!

We Canucks also see the sun travelling from right to left- that's because we always try to keep an eye on the North Pole so we can grab it quickly in case a gravity wave washes ashore!

january

The sun will travel from east to west in both hemispheres. The earth still rotates in one direction. If you're facing north, you'll see the sun move from right to left in either hemisphere.

Some classic questions (and answers) from potential tourists about Australia - sadly these are real questions posted on a website for the Sydney Olympics - 

From the USA: Which direction is north in Australia?

Pretty much the same direction north would be anywhere in the world.

From Sweden: Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Australia? 
Apart from watching out for snakes, spiders and cane toads, why are you wanting to run around the bushes?

From Germany: Do tents exist in Australia? 
They are not naturally occurring in the bushlands, however you can buy them and they may be found in camping grounds Australia wide. They can also be purchased from camping stores.

From France: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? 
We certainly do, generally on December 25th, like most countries around the world.

From Italy: Are there places in Australia where you can make love outdoors? 
Pretty much, yes. However there are laws against being naked in public and the Australian sun can be fierce, you had better watch out which bits of you get sunburnt.

From The USA: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? 
Yes, but you may need to practice as we do not all speak American.

From Italy: I hear that all Australian women are beautiful. Is that true and if so, can you send me pictures of the available ones? 
Absolutely, I've never seen an unattractive Aussie woman yet, of course this is subjective to your tastes and style.

From Germany: I want to go swimming at Bondi Beach on October 20th. Will I turn blue?
It depends if the larrikins have been playing with the condy crystals again.

From The UK: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, so how do the plants grow?
Most of our TVs are indoors and do not get wet. We have the plants all specially trucked in with a water compound planted at the base. (*sigh*)

From The USA: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? 
It depends where you are located. If you are in the streets of the sanctuaries, the zoos and the outback and way beyond known civilisation, it is possible. In the main cities, probably not likely.

From Germany: I plan to take some day trips during the Olympics. Which direction should I drive – Perth to Darwin or Darwin to Perth – to avoid driving with the sun in my eyes? 
These distances are huge, however travelling by night only should solve the problem. As you mention day trips, this would comprise around 7 of them to get to each location.

From The UK: Are there any ATMs in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay? 
Sure, we'll get someone on to that. Due to the number involved we should have the list completed in around a year or two.

From Portugal: Where can I learn underwater welding in Australia?

I'm stuck on this one, any suggestions, someone must do it?

From The UK: Can I bring cutlery into Australia?
We have plenty, as well as straws, chopsticks and skewers.

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Some classic questions (and answers) from potential tourists about Australia - sadly these are real questions posted on a website for the Sydney Olympics - 

Scott I would 'Like' your post if I could, great read...  B)

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Scott I would 'Like' your post if I could, great read...  B)

Enough of taking shots. It's gone; get over it or you risk rubbing my one good nerve the wrong way (again)...

One thing that really confuses me is the date format difference.  In Australia we use dd/mm/yy, whereas in the States its mm/dd/yy.  Sometimes when you're trying to mentally order a date list in your head, you have to go down the list to check what format it is first (ie. if you see 05/14/13 you know it's dd/mm/yy as there is no 14th month.  But you don't realise until you're half way through the list and you have to start all over again!).

The other one is the airline schedules - "Winter 13/14" or "Fall13".  For the life of me, I can't figure out which one is newer than the other.  Trying to find the latest AI schedules in the library is a nightmare! :)  Anyone have a good rule of thumb to remember the schedule cycles?

Subin

Winter would be newer.

Keep in mind when it says fall 13/ winter 14 it means it includes January, which means it would be newer then just fall (September and October)

Does that help or did I miss the point?