Sign in to follow this  
alulekk

New Dev post: fixing 10.3 performance

:BigGrin: Thank You!!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Today I played, after a long while whithout having it installed, with SkyMAXX, which is already on a much newer version ( 1.3.3 )

Not only very nice graphically, but also undoubtledly better in terms of performance than the default clouds.

Used it with HDR on.

Also experimented with the latest version of LPPT + HDR!  Whow!

Noticed that Austin must have smoothed the turbulence and shear effects - they look certainly more plausible to me now, when variable winds are reported, but I didn't notice any mention of it in the list of fixes / new features ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

As for the turbulence and wind shear I don't know if anything was changed, last night I had a 757 ripped apart at FL360 flying around a storm.  That's a bit excessive.

Joseph Catino

As for the turbulence and wind shear I don't know if anything was changed, last night I had a 757 ripped apart at FL360 flying around a storm.  That's a bit excessive.

Oops!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

According to the blog, FPS on NVIDIA cards will increase 23% from version 10.25 to version 10.30b6!!!!!!!   (Tested on GTX680)

Driver/hw   10.25       10.30b5      10.30b6 (fixed)NV 331.88   34          34           42

:shok:

Oops!

I enjoy a challenge but flying through a gap in storms that high up should not kill me, especially since the weather I was flying through I was experiencing in reality at home and it wasn't a very strong storm.  Good thing I was informed after a big report that that sort of stuff will be fixed in B6.

Joseph Catino

According to the blog, FPS on NVIDIA cards will increase 23% from version 10.25 to version 10.30b6!!!!!!!   (Tested on GTX680)

Driver/hw   10.25       10.30b5      10.30b6 (fixed)NV 331.88   34          34           42

:shok:

I wonder if I'll see a similar improvement on my GTX660ti - pretty sure I'm GPU capped atm (I have a core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb ram and an SSD).

yes, this is such a big part of what absolutely ruins the "Xplane experience" for me, personally speaking.

Let me ask the real world pilots (who fly in xplane) something. How do you deal with this or handle it? do you just choose to not use real weather, or is there something else I may be missing?

Let me give you a scenario that just occurred  to me in Xplane. I was trying to shoot approaches at KMTP rwy24 in the Carenado Cessna 260H. Winds were approx 210@15 gusting to 20 and somewhat variable. The plane was being whipped back and forth, left and right, up and down so much that there would be no way possible to safely approach if this was how a real plane handled in real life wind. You wouldn't even attempt to fly at all if this were the case. A bit unstable, very bumpy...annoying vibrations...these are things you might expect on a windy approach...but in xplane its just soooo over-the-top out of control that it ruins the flight and makes me feel as if I've wasted my time bothering.

What can be done?

Does it behave like that in strong winds using an external weather engine? (NOAA plugin, or Efass Ultra WX for example)

Just trying to ascertain if it's the plane physics or the default weather engine that is to blame.

Still can't get SLi to work sadly :(

I keep going back to Ben's old old post in 2011 here: http://developer.x-plane.com/2011/10/x-plane-sli-and-crossfire/ and keep hoping that in 2014 it will support SLi ... 

Will X-Plane 10 ever take advantage of Crossfire/SLI?

Maybe someday.  If we can get our code clean enough to work with these technologies, I will post an update on this blog.  But I can’t promise anything – for all I know we may someday hit some horrible show-stopping problem.

I'm guessing they did indeed hit a show stopper?  

Cheers, Rob.

@Dave - Don't know...I have never tried using an external weather engine in X-plane and the EFASS thing is not real-time weather so I wouldn't be interested. Maybe someone who knows or has a way around this issue will chime in.

I was thinking the erratic behavior with winds you explained could possibly be the result of the physics because they are a bit on the edge and twitchy.

Joseph Catino

Still can't get SLi to work sadly

Hi,

I've never had a SLI setup, so I'm curious about what happens when you start X-Plane with SLI activated. Does it crash? Does it runs ok but without FPS gain? Please give more details.