Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Volumetric fog a tremendous hit on performence

I tried some fog at a non demanding airport. My fps dropped to single digits and severe stuttering. Without the fog no problem with 37 fps and smoothness. Cloud shadows impact on fps is nothing compared to this. Is this also your experience ? As it is now the feature is useless. Any hope in 2.3 ?

Not a problem on my system.

Volumetric Fog = On

Enable Terrain to Receive Shadows=On

Cloud Shadow cast distance=30,000M

Shadow Map Count=High

FPS locked at 30 in Precision X and it rarely drops below that setting.

Only .cfg addition is AM=255 to utilize all 8 threads. Not using Nvidia Inspector. In Nvidia Control Panel have Vertical Sync set to Adaptive.  That is all the tweaks I am using in P3DV2.2. I have found that performance on my system is far better without all the tweaks in the.cfg and NI. I am a compulsive tweaker and have had to learn that all the suggested tweaks just don't work all that well for me.

Hope this helps a bit.

Lyn

Is this also your experience ?

Yes, it is. I like to use some fog to stop from seeing the autogen pop in beyond the LOD radius.  I have orb x global & vector and have found using the orb x weather themes are less of a hit. I believe theme #2 is overcast with a nice mist(fog).

performance on my system

Lyn

system specs? Excellent name by the way!

Lyn the trucker

FSX - XP11 - MSFS         Ryzen 5900x - Asus X570 VIII Hero - RTX 4090 - G.SKILL Trident 32 GB DDR4 - WD SN750 M2 1TB + Samsung SSD 250GB - HP Reverb G2 - Win 10/64

Yes, great name! Short for Lyndon.

PC specs in "My PC" Icon. It is certainly interesting how some of these tweaks are very system specific, isn't it?

Lyn

Not a problem on my system.

Volumetric Fog = On

Enable Terrain to Receive Shadows=On

Cloud Shadow cast distance=30,000M

Shadow Map Count=High

FPS locked at 30 in Precision X and it rarely drops below that setting.

Only .cfg addition is AM=255 to utilize all 8 threads.

Why should it be a problem on my system which seem more powerful than yours ?

I also found out that it's not 'volumetric fog' setting that causes the problem but simply fog itself. Disabling volumetric fog didn't change anything. BTW if I set up exact the same setting in FSX I have 37 fps and no stutter.