Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

What about FS2Crew ATC Product Possibility

Byork,

Your development organization seems to be on top of your business making really fine reliable products. What you have going for you, is getting high quality products to market quickly, and offering excellent support. Your stuff really works well, and I use FS2Crew all the time with my PMDG 737 NGX.

One of the biggest “Holes” in the simulator market, is the lack of a really good FSX/P3D ATC software add-on with both voice/button control.

A natural extension to FS2Crew, would be to integrate a voice/button controlled ATC package that could be managed by the FS2Crew First Officer. All the clearances, and other ATC functions could be integrated with all of the current aircraft you are currently supporting. If done properly, this would provide a “seamless” dialog from a cold and dark startup, to getting clearance and pushback, along with ATC guidance throughout the flight until touchdown, taxi to the gate, shut down, to closing out the flight plan.

Ideally, your prospective future product would work well with flight planners like PFPX and weather packages such as Active Sky Next.

Yes this would be a major project, but it would fill a really big missing function in the flight simulation world……

Have you ever considered this opportunity, or if you haven’t given it much thought before, would it be worth your time to investigate this possibility, your thoughts?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the input.

I've thought about it before... it's a pretty huge row to hoe.

To do realistic ATC is very, very tough and complex.  

I personally recommend people use VATSIM... nothing can beat a real human.

Yes, there is a challenge undertaking an ATC project......and there have been attempts to address this need....some unsuccessful, and others lacking completeness.

The main issue with VATSIM is that there may be no active controllers on line where or when you like to fly....so it can be hit or miss.

Anyway, I hope you re-consider this opportunity, as it would be the perfect fit since the FS2Crew module could potentially address the need for a First Officer to handle the role of PNF (pilot not flying) and ATC coms. If these two functions of assisting the pilot flying the A/C and ATC could be merged, and were done by a single developer, or a partnership between your development organization and another developer, then the desired goal of a fully integrated system could be achieved.

You and your team are the logical choice, in my opinion, to do the entire project, or find an existing partner currently doing ATC to carry out the integration of the PNF role with an ATC function.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Yes, there is a challenge undertaking an ATC project......and there have been attempts to address this need....some unsuccessful, and others lacking completeness.

The main issue with VATSIM is that there may be no active controllers on line where or when you like to fly....so it can be hit or miss.

Anyway, I hope you re-consider this opportunity, as it would be the perfect fit since the FS2Crew module could potentially address the need for a First Officer to handle the role of PNF (pilot not flying) and ATC coms. If these two functions of assisting the pilot flying the A/C and ATC could be merged, and were done by a single developer, or a partnership between your development organization and another developer, then the desired goal of a fully integrated system could be achieved.

You and your team are the logical choice, in my opinion, to do the entire project, or find an existing partner currently doing ATC to carry out the integration of the PNF role with an ATC function.

Bill Clark

That is what I would like to see. FS2ATC

The main issue with VATSIM is that there may be no active controllers on line where or when you like to fly....so it can be hit or miss

Wish vatsim could develop some sort of hybrid ATC program that could fill in the gaps when no human is online :)

The only problems with VATSIM are; (IMO)

1. People with crappy mics

2. People that talk waaaaay to fast. As a newbie, I'd rather start with something like what Bill is suggesting and slowly integrate my newly learned skills into VATSIM. I think with VATSIM, most users have to dive in head first which for some of us is a bit too much too soon.

3. Setup. I've flown VATSIM before, maybe only a handful of flights. I'd prefer something to what Bill is suggesting as I believe it would be a factor of ease of setup compared to having to setup all the programs (either networked or not) for VATSIM functionality.

4. Performance - not everyone has the greatest connection to the internet. And those with less than descent connections is probably enough to keep them from joining VATSIM.

5. Active controllers online at any given time. I've joined VATSIM in my local area, KDEN a few times only to find it was a ghost town. At least with something akin to FS2crew, (FS2ATC) I'm garaunteed to have ATC no matter where I fly.

6. Standardization in ATC lingo, the speed at which instructions are given, crappy vs good mics, various accents etc in VATSIM can make things to confusing compared to what could be offered in such a project undertaken by FS2crew. (again for the newly initiated)

However, unlike Bills suggestion I would prefer having the option to let the FO handle all ATC comms or myself. The ability to be able to interact with ATC (voice) IMO would be priceless.

As a new user to FS2crew, and based on what I've seen of it thus far, I think an, 'FS2ATC', is a no brainer! ;)

Cheers,

Brandon

VOX ATC allows the co pilot to handle all comms and works well with Fs2crew and the commands never or very rarely cross over.

However I find myself more and more on Vatsim these days as Bryan said you cant beat the real deal (when its available) but as mentioned some of the mics are real bad and I always listen to the controller for a while before deciding to go talk or typing :rolleyes:

ZORAN

Yours is one of the few programs where the voices aren't clipped or choppy. RC4 is probably the best out there but is rather dated.  Vatsim is great if someone is available, or his or her equipment is of good quality.  Your products are first rate, and no doubt an ATC version would be well received.  There is alot of good talent out there who could develop the software.  They would have to be well compensated, but I believe the consumer would pay the premium price that would have to be set.  If the product is of outstanding quality and backed up with equal service, people will pay.  Thank you for your work.  S. Sumner

Steve Sumner

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the input.

I've thought about it before... it's a pretty huge row to hoe.

To do realistic ATC is very, very tough and complex.  

I personally recommend people use VATSIM... nothing can beat a real human.

I love RC4 very easy to use and flexible, unfortunately it will no longer be worked on. Too bad you could not have an agreement with the developer and have access to the code and come up with some sort of fs2atc addon for rc4. Some good voice interaction and definitely a new sound pack to replace those voices lol. heck i would pay just for a new voice set. You could make money and Im sure his sales would go up too. Unless of course you could buy his code outright. lol