Sign in to follow this  
CaptainDG

FSX cutting off?

Hi guys,

I've been getting a weird problem with fsx recently. The game loads up perfectly fine and I choose my aircraft, set the route etc. however when I press fly now I sometimes get the loading bar come up on the screen with my desktop background still showing rather than the black background. I hear the engines running but see nothing!

Sometimes, however, it does load fine and I see the cockpit, hear the sounds etc. but this times when I go to open the GPS or map and even speed up or down the real time fsx just cuts off!

I would appreciate if someone can help me please?

Thanks.

Opening and using the GPS map uses a lot of memory resources. Your symptoms indicate a lack of memory resources. If FSX is already having issues starting up, loading another resource like the map may cause fsx to crash. I would recommend checking out the AVSIM CTD Guide located to the right of this forum under Hot Spots. There are a lot of reasons for this type of problem. A bad tweak such as the Bufferpools tweak or the Affinity Mask tweak (some have posted these tweaks do not cause crashes but this forum has proof removal of these tweaks has fixed crashes). A bad Bufferpool or Affinity Mask setting might cause this crash. Other tweaks in your fsx.cfg can cause problems too. This is why we recommend you move your fsx.cfg to another folder or rename it as Fsx.orig, then restart fsx and let the config rebuild. If this fixes the problem, then it was a tweak. There are many other suggestions like this in the AVSIM CTD Guide. For instance, checking your Event Viewer and looking for problems there or running AppCrashView and seeing if there's a faulting module that might be responsible for the crash.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I tried moving the fsx.cfg and it didn't work :( I have got an error code though and it says look into sxstrace.exe?

Try the recommendations in the following link - http://jonsview.com/solution-to-microsoft-flight-simulator-x-side-by-side-error.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I did search that and my drivers did need updating even though it is a brand new computer? It still hasn't worked though! Another thing I have learnt is that I haven't got either service pack 1 or 2 installed for fsx so I am hoping this solves this issue?

Thanks.

I've sorted it! It was all down to the fact that I hadn't got SP1 and SP2 installed how stupid! :)

Thanks for your help!

Glad you got it sorted. The fact you did not have SP1 or SP2 should not have caused this problem unless you were trying to use an aircraft or product that requires SP2. FSX works great with just FSX Standard or FSX Deluxe installed.

Next time you have a problem, please post a Crash Report or Event Viewer report. I (and probably others) were working in the total dark as we had no idea what kind of system you had or what you had installed. If you would have posted a crash report or event viewer report, I would have been able to see what was installed and might have been able to resolve your problem much faster.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM