Sign in to follow this  
michael9594

Wondering about TrackIR 5......

Hi 

I was just thinking about purchasing TrackIR 5 for FSX, I don't know where to buy it from and what exactly to buy. Could someone link me to everything I need to buy. I live in the UK.

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the track clip pro too but if you're comfortable wearing a baseball cap you don't need the clip.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You can get it on Amazon, ebay or flightstore.co.uk.

In case you don't know all about it. You have a receiver that sits on your monitor and plugs into the PC via USB. It basically is a light sensor. The standard clip is a designed to go on a baseball cap and is a bracket with 3 reflectors on it. The receiver picks up the light reflected and works out where you head is.

The Vector clip is an extra clip that you can use instead of the standard clip. It clips on the side of your headphones and plugs into the USB. Instead of reflectors it has 3 LED's and the receiver picks that up.

I found the Vector clip quite fragile and ended up packing it away. Instead I fixed the standard clip on top of my headphones and used electrical tape to hold it in position.

It is a brilliant piece of kit that makes flying a lot better and easier when landing.

My advice is to save yourself £20 and get the standard version without the Vector clip.

Please also note that there is a program going round that uses a webcam to do the same sort of thing. It's freeware but I have never used it so cannot comment on how good it is.

Can you guys comment about the movement compared to mouse look? I'm worried about having constant stuttering while looking around because the mouse look view gets pretty choppy and I always assumed track IR was kind of like a constant mouse view.

I've found stutters to be not a factor unless you're seeing a huge fps variance (more than 20%)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I prefer the standard clip as well and wear it on a baseball cap.

However I think I'll try that idea of fixing it directly to my headphones.  :-)

Cheers

Steve

I found the Vector clip quite fragile and ended up packing it away. Instead I fixed the standard clip on top of my headphones and used electrical tape to hold it in position.

It is a brilliant piece of kit that makes flying a lot better and easier when landing.

My advice is to save yourself £20 and get the standard version without the Vector clip.

Yes you are right, the vector clip (Trackclip Pro) is fragile and can end up braking. However, that does not mean it packs in and does not work.

This happened to mine, so I went looking on the net for a repair solution which I found and now my Trackclip Pro is working perfectly and is stronger than when it came out of the box.

IMO the Trackclip pro is more accurate than the standard hat clip and is less sensitive to light.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Read the Avsim.com review.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Performance wise, I've had no issues.  What I don't like about it, you can only look up or down so much before it goes "out of range".

By that I mean, when look up at the overhead panel or down at the center counsel, you move out of range of the eye so that drives me crazy.  Also, depending on the a/c type, you always have to reposition the view point.  You never start in the cockpit just at the right spot, you always have to adjust the view in the cockpit or move the eye or your hate/clip.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

By that I mean, when look up at the overhead panel or down at the center counsel, you move out of range of the eye so that drives me crazy.  Also, depending on the a/c type, you always have to reposition the view point.  You never start in the cockpit just at the right spot, you always have to adjust the view in the cockpit or move the eye or your hate/clip.

You can configure speed of TIR, so you will need less head movement.

But I admit that this is not "fire-and-forget" device - I mean it has to be reconfigured a little before every start - I.e. light threshold limit.

It is not perfect, but if you take time to configure it in smart way it is really useful.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

I've never had a problem with light on mine and I have had my PC in different rooms, at different angles to the windows. Guess I have just been lucky.

I've never had problem with having to reposition my view either. I use EZDok with TIR. I have a profile set up for FSX, load up my aircraft and press the button to centre TIR. I only use TIR on forward view, all other views are set up with EZDok without TIR so they are stable enough to click with the mouse. Then when I go back to my forward view my TrackIR starts.

I have seen no difference with the Vector clip compared to the standard clip. If anything, because the standard clip is central I find it works better then the Vector clip on the side and worrying that the end might drop off.

I've been running my TrackIR 5 with the hatclip for a couple years. Works great and never have any issue. The hardest thing in the beginning is setting up your profile for FSX, particularly if your anal like me. But once that's done to your liking, you should never have to mess with profiles again.  

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I found a profile on the internet and downloaded that. Can't for the life of me remember where.

A word of warning, if you are using EZDok then start FSX first, let it load and then start TrackIR, otherwise TrackIR will set up the FSX profile not the EZdok profile and will not work right.

I prefer the standard clip as well and wear it on a baseball cap.

However I think I'll try that idea of fixing it directly to my headphones.  :-)

Cheers

Steve

I have mine attached to the top of my headset, with tape, also. That method also prevents

you from answering the door with a ball cap on and the wierd antenna-looking device

clipped to the visor :)

Paul

Wide-5.jpg