Sign in to follow this  
virginblue737

Smart Path ( GLS )

No, it does not.  Think of GLS as LPV on steroids - both use additional nav data to create an artificial glide path and shouldn't be confused with IAN, which the NGX does support.

DJ

No, it does not.  Think of GLS as LPV on steroids - both use additional nav data to create an artificial glide path and shouldn't be confused with IAN, which the NGX does support.

DJ

Thanks for letting me know :)

i was wondering if the NGX has the capability to do this approach ?

Yes and no.  While DJ is correct that it doesn't have the equipment to do the GBAS approach, it'll still fly a GLS approach if you ask it to.

GLS uses GBAS (ground based augmentation system) to correct for errors that are present in the calculation of a GPS position.  While GPS, itself, is a very precise system (95% accuracy of about 25 feet), GBAS further increases accuracy by providing a fixed reference point for more precision (95% accuracy of about 3 feet).  The sim's GPS, though, is "perfect."  It doesn't really have the errors that are present in the real system, so GBAS isn't entirely necessary to "correct errors" that aren't there.

This is similar to the ILS case that we run into all the time.  In the real world, CAT-III ILS certification certifies that the LOC and GS signals aren't being subject to interference (man made or natural) outside of acceptable tolerances.  As such, one would only really want to autoland on a CAT-III-certified installation.  In fact, some CAT-I-only installations will specifically state "GS unusable/unreliable below [X altitude]."  Despite this, all LOC/GS signals in the sim are "perfect" so it doesn't matter if it's a CAT-I or CAT-III, you'll get the same signal quality.  That being said, you can autoland on any (straight-in) ILS in the sim with the assurance that the signal is "perfect."

So, the NGX will do it - you just don't get to play with the extra equipment as seen in the video.

Kyle Rodgers

Yes and no.  While DJ is correct that it doesn't have the equipment to do the GBAS approach, it'll still fly a GLS approach if you ask it to.

GLS uses GBAS (ground based augmentation system) to correct for errors that are present in the calculation of a GPS position.  While GPS, itself, is a very precise system (95% accuracy of about 25 feet), GBAS further increases accuracy by providing a fixed reference point for more precision (95% accuracy of about 3 feet).  The sim's GPS, though, is "perfect."  It doesn't really have the errors that are present in the real system, so GBAS isn't entirely necessary to "correct errors" that aren't there.

This is similar to the ILS case that we run into all the time.  In the real world, CAT-III ILS certification certifies that the LOC and GS signals aren't being subject to interference (man made or natural) outside of acceptable tolerances.  As such, one would only really want to autoland on a CAT-III-certified installation.  In fact, some CAT-I-only installations will specifically state "GS unusable/unreliable below [X altitude]."  Despite this, all LOC/GS signals in the sim are "perfect" so it doesn't matter if it's a CAT-I or CAT-III, you'll get the same signal quality.  That being said, you can autoland on any (straight-in) ILS in the sim with the assurance that the signal is "perfect."

So, the NGX will do it - you just don't get to play with the extra equipment as seen in the video.

Thanks for the info Kyle :) Will have a play tommorow 

Looks like EWR and IAH have Smart Path GLS now as well. Haven't had a chance to check the plates but I wonder with the difference is in terms of minimums. 

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/gnss/faq/laas/

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

EWR's GLS has a DH of 200 and a minimum visibility of 2400ft RVR. The ILS though, allows you to land with 1800ft RVR.