Sign in to follow this  
Gregdpw

Just want to double check this routefinder route.

I wanna do a quick route. So I pulled up route finder. Put in kdtw to kbna. Selected between FL250 and FL300. This route came up: KDTW SID ROD J39 IIU STAR KBNA.

So in my fmc I should make my airport kdtw. Then select the rosewood three departure: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1407/00119ROSEWOOD.PDF

Then goto page two of my route page and type in: via ROD to IIU

Then select the guitr four arrival: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1407/00282GUITR.PDF

And select the runway that works with the star. Everything look okay? Thanks. I am using a pmdg 737-800

And select the runway that works with the star.

You need to select the runway KBNA is using and then the STAR. You have it the procedure reversed.

This is the route that Delta and Southwest are currently using - RID5 RID IIU FORKS PASLY2 at FL 340.

Okay so arriving to nashville tune to atts find out what runway they are using. Then select the star.

Okay so arriving to nashville tune to atts find out what runway they are using. Then select the star.

Select the STAR at KDTW if you want to. Do not select a runway until you hear ATIS. Since PASLY2 ends in vectors that should workout. Here is a link to a site that has all US airports with charts for SIDS, STARS, and airport diagrams http://www.fltplan.com/AwMainToApproachPlates.exe?CRN10=1&CARRYUNAME=PILOT&MODE=SEARCH&end=end.

FL340 might be high for the distance between the airports. Use an even flight level below whatever the FMC recommends.

That will be way too late.

In the United States, we generally don't have runway-dependent STARS, so just select the STAR.  If the STAR listed on the DEP/ARR page is the STAR followed by runway numbers, then it's usually all of the same fixes, but different altitudes.  Select the one with the lowest altitudes.  You'll have to look at a chart to determine this, but it's usually the path with the shortest distance (example: coming from the north and landing on a Runway 18 - you don't have to pass the airport and turn around, which means that side of the STAR will have lower alts).

It's easier to shallow a descent than it is to steepen it.

Kyle Rodgers

If flying in the US why not just check flightaware.com and see what's being filed in the realworld. Here's the only route shown right now on flightaware...

RID5 RID IIU FORKS PASLY2

Being flown by both SWA and DAL.

Dave

Dave Paige

Okay sounds good. I was checking out that flight aware that's awesome! So on that route to nashvile I get to take the rid 5 SID. Then from there can I just input the rid, iiu and forks into the direct colume of the route page on the fmc? Thanks.

You can select the runway before you depart, if you like. Some airports are pretty consistent with what they will give you and you can select the runway based on that experience.

Center controllers know what runways the airports are using and will descend you appropriately. Approach controllers will do the same. You aren't often on a STAR when you don't know which transition/altitude you need to plan.

The biggest gotcha I see is a late change in the runway assignment causing a "Whifferdill" on the legs (a big circle cause by selecting a waypoint behind the jet).

Matt Cee

I went to the dep/arv page on the fmc. Went to select the pasly2 star and the fmc did not have it in the database. Would updating the nav data put the latest SIDS and stars in the fmc? Thanks.

Would updating the nav data put the latest SIDS and stars in the fmc? Thanks.

Update, by very definition, means "to bring up to date," so yes.

The PASLY2 is part of the current cycle, as shown on AirNav.com, so if you update, it'll be in there.  In case you didn't know, in the United States, the number at the end is a revision number.  If you have an older number (PASLY1 versus the current PASLY2), chances are, it's mostly the same.

Kyle Rodgers

Would updating the nav data put the latest SIDS and stars in the fmc?

Absolutely