Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

You Choose! 737NGX or 777?

Hi. Amongst myself, as the FSX world has more and more MPDG users, I've been deciding what aircraft  to... invest in. This has really been bugging me. I see a bunch of videos with the NGX, and they look awesome! Then I see videos of the 777, and they look awesome too! So, I have decided to turn to the simmers I trust, asking for your personal opinion on which plane I should buy:

PMDG 737NGX ---OR--- PMDG 777?

In your reply, I would appreciate you include:

a.) FPS you have encountered with either aircraft.

b.) detail-wise, what looks more realistic?

c.) to all you pilots out there, which of the two aircraft handles more realistically?

d.) does the simulator stutter randomly with either/both aircraft?

e.) do either/both aircraft make FSX more prone to CTD's?

f.) For my last question, I will provide my system specs:

Processor: Intel i7 Quad Core

Processor speed: 2.67 GHz (a bit underpowered)

RAM: 8gb

Video Board Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Graphics Card: NVIDIA NVS 3000 video card (nothing fancy, but does something).

So, given your opinion, how well do you thing either/both the aircraft would perform on my system (PC)? Thank you very much of you intend to reply!

Joe.

Invest in the aircraft you would prefer to fly in the sim,

It's that simple, they are both of similar quality.

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I would say for me it comes down to a couple of things. First, I don't really enjoy long haul flying. I would rather spend a long flying session doing several legs. Second, the 777 is almost to automated for me. I prefer more interaction with the airplane. So, for me, the NGX is the best choice.

Dave

Dave Paige

Hi. Amongst myself, as the FSX world has more and more MPDG users, I've been deciding what aircraft  to... invest in. This has really been bugging me. I see a bunch of videos with the NGX, and they look awesome! Then I see videos of the 777, and they look awesome too! So, I have decided to turn to the simmers I trust, asking for your personal opinion on which plane I should buy:

PMDG 737NGX ---OR--- PMDG 777?

In your reply, I would appreciate you include:

a.) FPS you have encountered with either aircraft.

b.) detail-wise, what looks more realistic?

c.) to all you pilots out there, which of the two aircraft handles more realistically?

d.) does the simulator stutter randomly with either/both aircraft?

e.) do either/both aircraft make FSX more prone to CTD's?

f.) For my last question, I will provide my system specs:

Processor: Intel i7 Quad Core

Processor speed: 2.67 GHz (a bit underpowered)

RAM: 8gb

Video Board Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Graphics Card: NVIDIA NVS 3000 video card (nothing fancy, but does something).

So, given your opinion, how well do you thing either/both the aircraft would perform on my system (PC)? Thank you very much of you intend to reply!

Joe.

a) I gain marginally higher FPS when using the NGX - probably 5 higher. Smoothness is good on each.

b) The T7 is more realistic because it just is newer and incorporates newer technologies.

c) Not a pilot, but the NGX feels more realistic to me, mostly because the 777 is overpowered in the -200LR (which is accurate).

d) Rarely, if ever.

e) The T7 has caused OOMs (Out of Memory Errors) where the NGX hasn't. I've received CTDs but they had nothing to do with the aircraft.

f) See my system specs to the left under My Computer.

One thing I'd like to note is that I could fly the NGX on a computer operating a Core 2 Duo @ 2.3 GHz and only a 256MB Graphics card at 20 FPS. Your system will undoubtedly handle the planes better.

Overall, I prefer the NGX because long hauls bore me!

I would say look at the type of flying you do. If its long-hauls then go for the 777, if its more short-haul go for the 737. I have both and love both of them. I fly the NGX more often because I don't always get time for long-hauls but I always try and find time to get a 777 flight in. I don't find any issues with performance but my specs are quite higher than yours so I couldn't say. As for realism well they both look as close to the real thing as you will get in FSX. I'm no pilot so cant say if they feel real to fly but they definitely feel very different to fly. I find the 737 more forgiving, if your high and fast in the 777 you will have to hold to get down whereas in the 737 if you stick everything out you can get her down like a brick.

I like the NGX because it's usually flown on shorter routes, and it's a little more of a challenge.

I like the 777 for its ability to do the long hauls that I want to do on occasion.

I'd suggest the 777 if you're just getting into the complex stuff, though...so:

a.) I don't post FPS because hardware and configurations (FSX.cfg tweaks, etc) can vary so widely, along with installed scenery - I get smooth rates, though
b.) They're both on the same level of appearance, though the NGX has a noted issue with the window height.
c.) They're both the same, in terms of realistic handling.  PMDG is known for truth-in-modeling, so it's not like one is going to be vastly different from the other.  They have access to a "Tech Team" of pilots who fly the real thing with verified hours and all of that.
d.) Depends on the situation.  Currently, the 777 is known to freeze on occasion, but I think the SP will fix that (I've never seen the issue, myself).
e.) The 777 uses more memory, and as a result, has (in combination with highly detailed scenery, etc) been associated with Out Of Memory (OOM) errors.
f.) I'm the last person you want to talk to about hardware...I'll leave that up to the rest.

Kyle Rodgers

+aceridgey

+dave_paige

Thank you.

+jetsflier Thank you for your detailed response... I'm glad you followed my format ^_^.

+elv That's got to be one of the most powerful home computers that I've ever seen! Mind if I use it :lol:? Thank you for your response.

+scandinavian13 Thanks a ton for your response. I think it sealed the deal:

My choice... PMDG 737NGX!!!

Though I leaned toward the PMDG 777, I wanted to know the impacts of it on my computer. It seems that my PC is a bit underpowered for the Triple7. So, though I adored the beauty of the 777, I think it would be the best choice to go with the NGX. Thank you all who have responded.

Joe.

PS: One more question. If anybody also has the Aerosoft Airbus A320/A321 Extended, how does the FPS loss compare with the NGX? How about the PMDG 777? I prefer exact numbers and/or estimations for this answer.

*Final Note: For anyone good with hardware, just check out my computer specs under my profile name, and feel free to give me some predictions, please. Thank you.

Joe.

PS: One more question. If anybody also has the Aerosoft Airbus A320/A321 Extended, how does the FPS loss compare with the NGX? How about the PMDG 777? I prefer exact numbers and/or estimations for this answer.

The Airbus X Extended gives me more FPS than the NGX. I usually have locked at 30 in the air in the NGX and between 25 and 30 on the ground. The AXE on the other hand gives me locked 30 always. The PMDG 777 is usuaully between 20 and 25 on the ground but 25-30 in the air. Hope that helps!

Thanks you all for your responses! I have almost everything I need to make the purchase. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again ^_^!\

Joe.

Definitely 737, 777 is too smart and thus too boring.

Only I would like to see 737 update to 777 standard.

Artur 

a) Similar

b ) The 777 is a little bit better, got some more features since it was released later, but nothing that really makes it much better than the NGX, except for some of the sounds.

c) Not a pilot

d) No

e) No

f) Any of them, you won't get the best FPS but you can fly with no problems with similar performance.

So choose the one you like the most. I prefer the NGX because I love the 737. You can land on smaller fields with it, so it gives you a much wider range of destinations.

The 777 has a little more immersion and will be even better once the SP1 is out, but if you don't like long hauls it won't really suit your purpose.

I vote NGX.

Pedro Espindola

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own2_378x68.jpg

Both are excellent models, but 10-14 hours in the 777 on cruise is simply too long and boring. I don't use time warp speed and I don't see the point of sleeping thru my flights.

Most of my flying is online Vatsim in Europe, and I only fly routes that excists in the real world (carriers and aircraft type). So doing Oslo-Stockholm in a 777 is out of the question for me, or even Oslo-Palma Mallorca.

I trust the NGX, it never fails on me. I can fly multiple flights all day to and from detailed add-on airports without OOM.

Finally, the 737 is just "cooler"  B)

My vote: 737

But you can fly the 777 from Dubai to Istanbul or nearly every airport in europa.

Philipp Schwaegerl

But you can fly the 777 from Dubai to Istanbul or nearly every airport in europa.

I know. I don't fly to/from Dubai that much. And I still prefer the 737 over the 777 ^_^