Sign in to follow this  
WR269

i7 4790k Temps and Cooling

I recently completed an upgrade from my old i5 3470 to the new Devils Canyon i7 4790k. I am not overclocking, it is stock speed.

Performance is impressive, I am seeing textures load that I had not seen before using exactly the same slider settings as my old 3470. However....one thing that is concerning me is how hot this thing gets!

I flew into Orbx YMML and the CPU hit 80C!! Whilst P3D or FSX are running, it stays at 70C to 75C and every now and then goes to 80C. If I minimmise the simulator and go to Windows desktop, the CPU drops in themp amazingly fast down to 30C. The moment I get back into the sim, temps jump back up again.

Has anybody else found this?  I am seriously considering an after market cooler (am restricted by my old Antec 200 case) so any advise would be most welcome.

This is the warm time of year - and 80 degrees is not harming anything...

Is your case well ventilated?  Maybe an extra case fan would help..

Bert

Make sure your heat sink is properly seated. That's too high even for stock.

Where are you based? Whats the ambient. If its warm where you are the crappy Intel cooler may well reach those temps.

I recently completed an upgrade from my old i5 3470 to the new Devils Canyon i7 4790k. I am not overclocking, it is stock speed.

Performance is impressive, I am seeing textures load that I had not seen before using exactly the same slider settings as my old 3470. However....one thing that is concerning me is how hot this thing gets!

I flew into Orbx YMML and the CPU hit 80C!! Whilst P3D or FSX are running, it stays at 70C to 75C and every now and then goes to 80C. If I minimmise the simulator and go to Windows desktop, the CPU drops in themp amazingly fast down to 30C. The moment I get back into the sim, temps jump back up again.

Has anybody else found this?  I am seriously considering an after market cooler (am restricted by my old Antec 200 case) so any advise would be most welcome.

Dump that stock cooler its next to useless OC'd at 4.5ghz my 4790k never gets above 48c in p3dv2 or 55C while running a stress test. You might want to consider an liquid cooler like I have it works wonders

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thanks guys, it is winter here so I definitely need a solution before summer!

I am looking at the Noctua 12S cooler, it has a single fan but I hear good things about it. I don't think a D14 will fit in my case, unfortunately.

Will... do look at the Thermalright Archon SB-E X2.

It doesn't have the ram clearance issues, is a smaller single tower design... but cools almost as well as the D14.

http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/archon_sb-e_x2.html

The only dimension you need to worry about is the height. You need to make sure your case is wide enough.

http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/archon_sb-e_x2.html?panel=1

If the D14 will fit in your case, consider the new D15. Noctua have improved the design, it now has better ram clearance.

Thanks Martin, very interesting piece of kit. At the moment it is between this and the Noctua NH12S.

Dump that stock cooler its next to useless OC'd at 4.5ghz my 4790k never gets above 48c in p3dv2 or 55C while running a stress test. You might want to consider an liquid cooler like I have it works wonders

Those are almost exactly the numbers I'm seeing with a 4790K at 4.5ghz with a corsair H80i.

The Noctua D14 is beast. I have my i7 4770k running at 4.7ghz using it

Is that the NH-U12S Will? If it is, it seems to be even cooler than the Archon...http://www.eteknix.com/noctua-nh-u12s-cpu-cooler-review/4/Didn't realise how good it was to be honest.

Thanks Martin, ended up with the Noctua NHU-12S and added a second fan to it. Temps are now 50C max. Amazing performance, very happy.