Sign in to follow this  
voodoo101

Update choice

Hi all,

With the, what I feel, is and imminent release of the SP1 for the 777, I though I would ask the question of what people prefer.

Anybody who has written any sort of software, even like me, basic on a ZX Spectrum, knows that some errors bypass the testing stage. Add to that little new idea's that you want to add or new techniques you learn cause you to have updates.

Now some add-ons seem to have constant little updates and even updates on updates. such as GSX which seems to update everytime I load up FSX. PMDG seems to like the 'release the software, then one great big update' route, which of course seems like it takes forever.

So the question, which do people prefer? The quick constant updates, which sometimes make problems that have to be updated themselves, or the long delay big update.

Please let's not bring this discussion down to when the update will be released or complaining about the delay. 

I would have to go with the PMDG method. They generally release products that are of excellent quality that they don't need major updates. Any fixes are generally for minor things that can be lived with and to be honest I doubt most people would even notice. I'm quite sure if they somehow managed to let a major problem slip through we would get an update to fix it much quicker than the usual process, but this is highly unlikely.

Constantly turning the computer on and having to update things gets very annoying and to have to update because of an update is just unprofessional in my view.

So the question, which do people prefer? The quick constant updates, which sometimes make problems that have to be updated themselves, or the long delay big update.

The GSX updating every time I load the sim is pretty irritating, particularly because it's not abundantly clear why.

I prefer somewhat of a middle ground.  Hold releases until the point where it's substantial enough to release, but not so long that more immediate needs aren't addressed in a more timely fashion.

Kyle Rodgers

I totally agree with you both. I hate having to keep updating, only to find no difference and have to find the changelog, or to find that something else has broken.

With GSX I think it is more to do with security control sometimes, more like a call to home and a check for serial number, as I have not seen a change in it since installing the vehicle packs.

Oh my, voodoo, a Spectrum?  Am I dating myself by admitting to having toyed with a ZX81?  B)

My two cents, I'm okay with updates that are not nagware, and allow ME to choose.  Incrementals are fine as long as they don't interrupt my sim time.  I finally blocked a certain add-on manufacturer's access after their control center "update" then forced me to re-download newer versions of all their sceneries.  This at a time when I had a brief hour or so after work for FSX.  

Personally, I'd like to see an option to leave the Ops Center running in the sys tray to receive updates automatically in off-hours selected by the user (wishlist item only, no feature request intended!)

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

You're going to be able to choose either option when the OC 2.0 releases. We're going to add the ability to subscribe to public betas of the service packs - that way you can get fixes as they happen with the understanding that it's beta and not all things will be fixed/tested yet. If you want to wait for the final polished version, you can do that too.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Did some BASIC programming with a Sinclair Spectrum myself - and I'm not even from the U.K.!   :lol:

If you have ever experienced multiple full version installers for planes with multiple panel.cfg's (the kind of panel.cfg's you tweak yourself ... and again ... and again with every new full version), and numerous hotfixes in between those full versions (manual hotfix installations into a multitude of install locations - Documents, FSX root folder, FSX\Simobjects, ...), then you will appreciate a developer's decision not to release too many SPs - but those ones they DO release really offer comprehensive changelogs ...   B)

Ryan, thank you for that information. I'm sure that will calm the impatient people in this forum down and stop some of the arguments, However I feel that they will still probably find something to moan about. Many people in this forum appreciate the work that you and the team go through to make such wonderful products and how you push the boundaries of FSX. Good things come to those who wait.

Sddjd. Ah the old ZX81. I had a friend with one of them and the ram pack in the back. I was a bit posher and had the ZX Spectrum with 48K and rubber keys. Another friend was even posher and had a case for his where he could put games, his joystick and printer. At time we though they was the best thing around, we didn't know that in the future we would have phones with more power, better graphics sound. First time I played Flight Simulator was on the ZX Spectrum.

Oliver. I remember getting a magazine called 'Spectrum Programmer' which had basic programs in. I used to copy them out, run them, then take them apart and learn how they could be made better. Never quite got into going any further, something I regret now as I could have probably been able to get into C++ and could make my own add-ons. Sometimes I just want something extra from an add-on which the developer did not add and wish I could make my own as I want it.