Sign in to follow this  
markjj

OOM Issues

Hi guys, for the first time, I received an out of memory crash in FSX using the PMDG 777 on the Seattle to Hong Kong leg. Anyways, I am well aware about the limitations of FSX and that there is no real workaround to the problem besides lowering some settings. Anyways, I am considering using Bojote's tweaking tool now. I know that it won't solve the issue, but I've heard about the numerous performance boosts people have got from it. Does anyone else use this tool and does it affect any add ons (ex: PMDG planes) in a negative way? Thanks

Mark Javornik

Hi Mark,

you gave no hint about your system specs, fsx.cfg and options settings (REX, Weather, etc...)

But beside of lowering some visual settings there are known workarounds to prevent OOM.

clean up scenery library uncheck sceneries which aren't necessary for the current flight

turn off the RAAS option (PMDG 77L)

I personally wouldn't recommend the usage of any tweaking tools. 

Hi, the only FSX cfg tweak I have is the Highmemfix. I have an i7 4930k over clocked to 4.1ghz with 16gb of ram and a GTX 780. I have no add on scenery besides FSDreamteam JFK and I use Active Sky Next with REX textures. Besides that I only using payware aircraft alongside FSInn (for VATSIM). Also, Bojote simply analyzes a copy of the FSX cfg and sends you a new one. It is not like the fsps tools available. Anyways thanks for the help and do you have any more tips for OOM workarounds or cfg edits? Thanks

Mark Javornik

Hi Mark,

I have been using Bojotes tool for years.   For the OOM issues you might try,, Word Not Allowed's flight simulation world. Also you can link your FSUIPC to show the amount of unused VAS memory that is available...

Cheers,

Jfriz

You can try what is detailed in post #24 of this thread http://forum.avsim.net/topic/442150-777-oom-within-2-hours-of-flight/. Essentially this does away with the exterior of the plane. I tested it using Process Explorer to see what difference it would makes in VAS usage. It saved about 300MB. Well worth the effort of two slashes.

Thanks for the replies. I have used the bojote tweaking tool and there is a very noticeable fps improvement! I get about 10fps more on average. The only negative side effect is that I will rarely get a crash. I got an error saying FSX has stopped working, and I believe that this is related to the cfg tweaks. Any thoughts? Btw I also installed the "Fix It" file provided by Kostas to help the OOM issue provided on his website. Thanks

Mark Javornik

I've chosen to all but cease flights with the PMDG 777 due to not being able to fly into most payware airports regardless of using all the recommendations made by PMDG to prevent (reduce) OOMs.

It is my humble opinion that PMDG went too far with the aircraft and POSSIBLY the coding is not as lean as it could be, thus creating a bloated, memory hog of an aircraft.  Nice aircraft for flying into default scenery I suppose, and I certainly won't argue that it's a fine simulator.  But I simply can't use it without an OOM, so I've had to shelve it. I can't shake the feeling that there may be a memory leak as well, but I have no proof yet of this. 

FYI: I fly with a good number of guys very experienced with FSX and higher level flight simulation, and I've done in-depth tech support on the simulator for over 6 years and well over 100 different systems, and we're all of the same opinion regarding not being able to use the 777, at least when we're using payware scenery, REX Textures (set to low) and Active Sky Next.  We've tried everything with dismal results and OOMs prior to approach to our destinations.

Anyway... offered for what it's worth.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

"not being able to use the 777"? Airports alone brings FSX to it's knees these days - lol, why blame the plane? I prefer the detailed aircraft over the detailed airport anyway.

Dave, have you tried turning off some airport traffic and static aircraft at the payware airport? I found the 777 is only around 600Mb over a stock aircraft so it's not anything to complain about. How big's the addon airport compared to the stock airport?

Another thing to try; let's say for arguments sake you're flying into Heathrow and have that and Gatwick installed. Can try turning off Gatwick from the scenery menu before arrival or even before the flight.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

What is your  LOD settings?  If it is 6.5, I strongly suggest use 4.5 settings. I never experience OOM after changed to 4.5 settings.

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

What is your LOD settings? If it is 6.5, I strongly suggest use 4.5 settings. I never experience OOM after changed to 4.5 settings.

May I ask what the LOD setting is? Haha sorry for the ignorance

Mark Javornik

I can't shake the feeling that there may be a memory leak as well, but I have no proof yet of this.

Dave, I have found the T7 to be consistent with regard to memory use. If I take off from Fly Tampa Vienna, and once airborne, I have 1.8Gb of free VAS. When I arrive at FT Dubai and before the scenery loads I have still got 1.8GB free after 7hours in flight. Once Dubai loads, I am down to 1100GB free VAS and stays at that usage till I am parked at the gate. And could stay like that for hours, if I walked away and left it.

To me that tells me there is no memory leak with the T7 or even FT Dubai, as the VAS does not diminish once it reaches the level as I posted 1100GB.

Now if there was a memory leak, I would not make it to Dubai, I would probably OOM over Iraq.

Now if I was to take off from EGGL (UK2000) I would need to either remove the model to save free VAS  (300mb ) or save the flight to refresh the VAS completely. I prefer the later, as it only takes a couple of minutes, Nothing running secondary to fsx is affected by saving and restarting, as long as I don't touch it. Like EFB, FS Commander, Acars, ASN  etc etc. PMDG planes are very good when it comes to saving and restarting, never had a fail yet.

If I want to fly from KLAX to EGLL, I do the same about 200nm out, save and restart. So just before I arrive at Heathrow, I have 2.4 GB of free VAS By the time I arrive I have enough VAS to watch GSX unload the plane etc. I can leave it sitting there for a few hours and it will not OOM.

I never use wing view or spot view, in flight, that can cost you up to 300mb of VAS each time you do that.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Download and Run it.

Top Menu: View - Select Columns

Under Process Memory tick Virtual Size

Close

Rearrange the columns so that Virtual Memory (VAS) is the first

Watch the number. I get 3.1 at EGLL (UK2000 Normal Settings), FTX Global, Vector and England, OpusFSI Beta. By the time I hit the North Sea It's running about 2.7. PMDG T7. FPS Limited to 20 and running around 18 (16-20). FSX set to Ultra High throughout. ONLY and ALL Nick's fixes to FS.cfg and Nvidia Inspector applied. Texture_Max_Load = 4096 (For REX). NOTHING else changed.

Never used Bojote's tweaking tool. Nick suggests not to?

Very Happy Camper!

Chris Stanley VTCC

Never used Bojote's tweaking tool. Nick suggests not to?

Not for modern systems. I agree with Nick

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Mark,

IT is in Fsx.cfg file

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

I got many OOM with 6.5 and lowered to 4.5 no more OOM.

May be it will help you also.

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"