Sign in to follow this  
mrvoyager

Disabling Fly By Wire?

Is there a way I can disable the fly by wire? I am not liking it, it messes with my hand flying too much.

The 777 uses FBW to control the control surfaces, so I'm not sure what you mean by disabling the FBW system because that will mean you have no control over the aircraft. You could try reverting to Secondary Mode as some say it helps in correcting the issues present in the current FBW system in the PMDG 777, but SP1 is coming soon and that should fix your problems.

SP1 is not going to fix FBW problems in the way people seem to think. The RTM version is actually too easy to handfly because you never have to trim. You'll have to worry about trimming in SP1, which if you asks me makes it more difficult than it was in the RTM.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

SP1 is not going to fix FBW problems in the way people seem to think. The RTM version is actually too easy to handfly because you never have to trim. You'll have to worry about trimming in SP1, which if you asks me makes it more difficult than it was in the RTM.

To be honest I think it will be easier without the speed trim because as it is the system is a little slow, at least slower than an airbus at correcting so for example if I want to lower the pitch a little I have to then pull on the yoke to keep it leveled unlike the x extended which reacts fast and leaves it where you centered the yoke, but actually I think it might be a characteristic of the aircrafts aerodynamic and not the system itself. Another thing that bothers me a little is how fast and far the manual trim goes, the ngx has a smoother level change, so I have to be taping the pitch keys in combination with yoke movements to get the aircraft stable, but I don't have to do that with the ngx, I find it a lot better to handle in that regard.

The 777 uses FBW to control the control surfaces, so I'm not sure what you mean by disabling the FBW system because that will mean you have no control over the aircraft. You could try reverting to Secondary Mode as some say it helps in correcting the issues present in the current FBW system in the PMDG 777, but SP1 is coming soon and that should fix your problems.

Interesting, how do I do that? I am pretty sure every boeing can shut down the fby system like the 787. I really don't like how the computer feels with this one, I prefer full manual like the ngx (even thou I have noticed some auto pitch trimming with the autopilot off).

The 777 does not have a manual backup, the FBW system is always active. You can turn the protections and stuff off by turning off the primary flight computers on the overhead but that's not going to make it fly like a 737NG.

Just wait for SP1 - it handles much more like a normal airplane. Everything about it is changed and rebuilt from scratch.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The 777 does not have a manual backup, the FBW system is always active. You can turn the protections and stuff off by turning off the primary flight computers on the overhead but that's not going to make it fly like a 737NG.

Just wait for SP1 - it handles much more like a normal airplane. Everything about it is changed and rebuilt from scratch.

As I love to handfly a lot and enjoy a challenge, may need to trim a bit more as I dont trim a lot :(, but waiting for the SP1 seems to be the hardest part. Hope its relased this month. 

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Just to clarify a bit: FlybyWire just only means there is no physical connection between the yoke and the rudder/airleron/elevator. The movemend of the yoke is put into a computer and the actuators are activated via electrical cable. So it is really impossible to "deactivate fbw".

The designers of the FBW system (especially those wo made the F-16 and later A320) used the system to do some things automatically: protection for stalling/ overspeed/g-load where the computer does not what the PF commanded. Also they included a system called autotrim. The airplane trims automatically to fly the attitude and turnangle the pilot commanded. This reduced workload (at least that was the plan I think). I do not know why but nowadays when someone say's FBW he means this autotrim feature.

The T7 is designed to fly like the "classic" airplanes with physical connections so no autotrim is *implemented.

*there is an autotrim feature implemented but it does follow the flightpath. You'll feel this when extending Flaps in a T7 versus a A320 where the latter "floats".

To be honest I think it will be easier without the speed trim because as it is the system is a little slow, at least slower than an airbus at correcting so for example if I want to lower the pitch a little I have to then pull on the yoke to keep it leveled unlike the x extended which reacts fast and leaves it where you centered the yoke, but actually I think it might be a characteristic of the aircrafts aerodynamic and not the system itself. Another thing that bothers me a little is how fast and far the manual trim goes, the ngx has a smoother level change, so I have to be taping the pitch keys in combination with yoke movements to get the aircraft stable, but I don't have to do that with the ngx, I find it a lot better to handle in that regard.

Interesting, how do I do that? I am pretty sure every boeing can shut down the fby system like the 787. I really don't like how the computer feels with this one, I prefer full manual like the ngx (even thou I have noticed some auto pitch trimming with the autopilot off).

Just throwing it out here, but the 777 isn't an Airbus...and therefore, won't fly like one.  That's like buying a Ford F350 and complaining that it doesn't drive like a Toyota Tundra.  And while Aerosoft did a good job with the X Extended, it's hardly in the same category as the 777X...and to try to compare the 2 is silly.

As far as the NGX is concerned; the 737 is by no means FBW.  The only thing on a NG that could be remotely considered FBW is the FADEC system.  With that being said, the 777 and the 737NG are 2 completely different airplanes that will handle completely different.  Again, you can't get into a Gulfstream V and expect it to handle like a C172.  It just doesn't work that way. 

Now, the pilot can override the FBW system on the 777, but to completely disable it would require pulling breakers...and to disable the FBW system would defeat the purpose of having a realistic 777 simulation...and would leave you in a pretty uncontrollable situation.

I just can't, for the life of me, understand why people would spend close to $100 on a realistic simulation and want to change things to make it unrealistic.

I just can't, for the life of me, understand why people would spend close to $100 on a realistic simulation and want to change things to make it unrealistic.

Because they think it is wrongly simulated but aren't able to fully read and more important understand the included manuals. That's why, it's scaring me Kyle is going to morph into a carebear himself.  :P

As far as I understood from this message that the flight model implemented in 777-200LR and F versions is not as realistic as we have been thinking or expriencing. Do you intend to say this? I know that in flight simulators flight model can be developed by service packs or updates but could you please give a percentage of the flight model that we use now? Thank you.

As far as I understood from this message that the flight model implemented in 777-200LR and F versions is not as realistic as we have been thinking or expriencing. Do you intend to say this?

Correct.  This has already been stated multiple times by the team here on the forum.

I know that in flight simulators flight model can be developed by service packs or updates but could you please give a percentage of the flight model that we use now?

It's not a matter of percentage.  It's not like they released a 50% correct version when it released and are developing the other 50%.

That's why, it's scaring me Kyle is going to morph into a carebear himself. 

Does this mean I would be more or less cuddly?  :wub:

Kyle Rodgers

Oh thats so nice to hear! Then I bet its going to be awesome, really looking forward to it, its the only aspect that is preventing me from completely falling in love with it :)

Fantastic...

Just throwing it out here, but the 777 isn't an Airbus...and therefore, won't fly like one.  That's like buying a Ford F350 and complaining that it doesn't drive like a Toyota Tundra.  And while Aerosoft did a good job with the X Extended, it's hardly in the same category as the 777X...and to try to compare the 2 is silly.

As far as the NGX is concerned; the 737 is by no means FBW.  The only thing on a NG that could be remotely considered FBW is the FADEC system.  With that being said, the 777 and the 737NG are 2 completely different airplanes that will handle completely different.  Again, you can't get into a Gulfstream V and expect it to handle like a C172.  It just doesn't work that way. 

Now, the pilot can override the FBW system on the 777, but to completely disable it would require pulling breakers...and to disable the FBW system would defeat the purpose of having a realistic 777 simulation...and would leave you in a pretty uncontrollable situation.

I know but I was just pointing out my opinion that there is something off with the autotrim, which I guess will be fixed, where I notice that its slightly unprecise and slow and also the manual trimming (with the joystick buttons) feel too jerky so one has to be taping it and still the plane changes too much so its difficult to establish a stable pitch specially when chaging, so overall I find this 777 a little hard to handfly. Even thou the NGX has no autotrim I feel its much easier to fly even thou it responds quicker to yoke movement. Just an opinion, but obviously this wont be noticed much when taking off or when doing an autoland, but me I like to just handfly sometimes.

Fantastic...

I wasn't talking about the systems but more on the behaviour of them, which is very difficult to simulate. Let me ask you, how do you know the handling and aerodynamics and the interaction of the autotrim are highly realistic when non of us has even touched the controls of a real 777? Not saying its not realistic, but the handling of the autotrim and the manual pitch don't seem right for such a modern and very well made airliner, which PMDG agrees since they are making the SP1 for it.

I know but I was just pointing out my opinion that there is something off with the autotrim, which I guess will be fixed, where I notice that its slightly unprecise and slow and also the manual trimming (with the joystick buttons) feel too jerky so one has to be taping it and still the plane changes too much so its difficult to establish a stable pitch specially when chaging, so overall I find this 777 a little hard to handfly. Even thou the NGX has no autotrim I feel its much easier to fly even thou it responds quicker to yoke movement. Just an opinion, but obviously this wont be noticed much when taking off or when doing an autoland, but me I like to just handfly sometimes.

I wasn't talking about the systems but more on the behaviour of them, which is very difficult to simulate. Let me ask you, how do you know the handling and aerodynamics and the interaction of the autotrim are highly realistic when non of us has even touched the controls of a real 777? Not saying its not realistic, but the handling of the autotrim and the manual pitch don't seem right for such a modern and very well made airliner, which PMDG agrees since they are making the SP1 for it.

I was referring to this comment: