Hello!

I need a controller for FSX and stuff to fly the things I always and usually only fly (Boeings and Cessnas)... Please tell me what I should get for the controller. As for addons, I already know I want ---

FTX ORBX Global

REX 4 texture Direct

Active Sky Next

Thats 179 dollars right there....If I get the X55 Hotas, I wont have a problem with getting that and those 3 addons, Or, I can get

Saitek pro flight yoke + throttle (the one it comes with)

Saitek Pro flight Rudder Pedals

FTX

REX 4

ASN

That will cost around 450$ I have 290, But in like One month I will have ATLEAST 390...EITHER way I have to wait til the end of this month to get anything.

So what makes more sense for me? A yoke or a joystick? is the saitek yoke nice, no lag, good quality, feel real?  I can just get the Yoke, Rudder, EXTRA throttle to have two and a swtich panel but no addons so FSX wont look good....Should I just do that? So lets count that.... What should i get???

Thanks

It's tough - there's always more stuff to buy for simming that there is money in the pocket... I feel your pain!

I always and usually only fly (Boeings and Cessnas)

Both these planes use yokes, plus rudder pedals are absolutely a must in my opinion.  You can always save a bit of coin and upgrade your scenery down the road.  You don't mention it, but if you don't already have a high fidelity version of either a Boeing (PMDG) or a Cessna (A2A), I would absolutely spring for either of those before upgrading scenery as well.

Not that I'm against upgrading scenery, but you'll find that scenery can be a bit of black hole when it comes to the wallet;  there's far more available than most have money to spend.  Whereas a high fidelity simulation of something you really want to fly, plus a bit of hardware to improve the immersion goes a long long way.

Also, I'm definitely a fan of the X55 stick as well, it's a very worthwhile piece of kit and (in my opinion) of far higher quality than the Pro-Flight yoke is.  I own both, and swap between them regularly depending on what I'm flying.

Edit:  I also just noticed you mentioned an extra throttle and a switch panel.  While the extra throttle quadrant is nice to have to simulate twins, both it and the switch panel can be done without if your trying to save a bit.  And when you are looking to spend a bit more on hardware, the Saitek TPM panel is a really, really nice item for GA planes such as Cessnas.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Ill get the panels later...YEAH i do have a PMDG NGX 737 so how does this sound

Saitek Yoke

Saitek Rudder

FTX

REX 4

ASN

?

Ok so im going for the yoke, but which addon do you think I should Cut down on ? ORBX to get a PMDG 777 or which addon for what hardware?

Boeings and Cessnas use yokes.  Shop around for the yoke/throttle quadrant.  You might see some discounts.  If you plan to fly military, get the stick.

Jim Elder

BTW read my specs and tell me if its enough to run smoothly with the THREE addons i mentioned...CPU is at 4ghz btw.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hardware Controllers & Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

How about you just come up with a combo for me man ? :) ill mark u solved

Advice is all you get, which is what you've already gotten. ^_^   Everyone's tastes are different.  Some people care about extremely high fidelity aircraft, and couldn't care less about scenery.  Others are happy with purely eye-candy. Others build full-on 737 hardware setups.  It's kinda whatever works for you.

For the majority of us, flight simming involves a lot of compromise.  Hence, although a certain combination of hardware, aircraft, and scenery might work for an individual, it's really not going to be a one-size-fits-all.

These are my setups that I use and switch between:

Saitek yoke, rudder pedals, two throttle quadrants, switch panel - used for Majestic Q400, Aerosoft Twin Otter, Flight1 B200, Milviz B55 + a few others

Saitek yoke, rudder pedals, Saitek TPM, switch panel - used for A2A C172, Cherokee, many Carenado singles

Saitek x55 (no throttle), rudder pedals, Saitek TPM, switch panel - used for RealAir Lancair Legacy + a few Lionheart singles.

Saitek x55 + throttle, rudder pedals, switch panel - used for VRS Superbug, Dino's F-14, Aerosoft E.E. Lightning, Milviz F-86, + many many other military jets.

Cheapo Saitek stick modded to be floor mount, modified x52 throttle, one or two TQ's - a bunch of various helicopters.

As you can see, I've got a bunch of hardware, but there's no perfect single setup that works for everything I fly.  If I only flew one of those groups, perhaps there would be, but this is why no-one can give you a complete list of what you should buy.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Ah so I FOR ME it may be a one size fits all for the yoke and rudder because I will only fly boeings and cessnas, so the yoke isnt old and outdated and the rudder has brakes right?

YEP!!

Great advice.  Every one of these posts is great!  If you are going to fly Boeings SKIP the pedals.  Boeings are taxied with a Tiller.  

A tiller is WAY different than pedals.  

Also there is the registered version of FSUIPC that you can purchase.  What is it?  It is an awesome program that allows you to assign different commands to your buttons, levers, etc that you use on your flightstick or yoke or both.

It took me a while to figure out, however I have 3 commands on one switch.  How that is done is too much to explain here.

I have the X52 that I purchased before the HOTAS came out.  After all these years it still works almost like new.

I also have the Saitek yoke.  Those two can be used together which I do.  You can also use the Mode Switch on EACH of those controllers and you can define controls using the programming software that comes with each.  What I did however is I went to MADCAZ (Saitek Page) and downloaded the very latest drivers AND programming software.  With a little experience I was able to use FSUIPC and the programming software to not only assign all the commands I need but I was able to make my own commands via FSUIPC and operate switches that FSX has no commands for.  Rather cool once you get the hang of it.

So every button switch lever etc is useful on both controllers.  Ha you can even have a throttle lever mean two different things.

For instance.  I have my Prop Controller not only act as my reverser, but at certain positions it brings my gear up and down.  So the bottom half is my reverser, and the upper half acts as my gear lever.  All this is done via FSUIPC which all flight simmers ought to use in my honest opinion.  It just gives you such lattitude with your controllers.  Way more than standard FSX gives.

I do not use rudder pedals.  My philosophy on them is that I do most of my flying in the air.  Not on the ground.  JUST ME.  I also fly jets where Yaw Damp and Rudder Boost plus differential power for x wind operations pretty much negate the need for pedals.  I use my X52 stick as my tiller for taxiing.  

Hope this helps.  That is how I do it.  But as the other guys have all posted, there is absolutely no right way to do it.

You really need to think about what you want to do and then go from there.  Some guys are GA Single Engine prop guys, some guys are Tubeliners, some corporate jets.  The altitude in which you plan to fly.  Active Sky Next for high altitude ops.  I understand REX is far better for low ops.

Add on scenery is a serious frame killer so if you don't mind choppy frame rates but rather need to have a city look like your city to the enth degree then get that local area.  

If you are a Cross Country guy and go from town to town city to city, skip the add on scenery.  See what we are saying here?  Define what you want and what you wish to get out of FSX and go from there.

Take care and good luck.

To answer your last.  I don't know how the brakes work on rudders.  That said though, again with FSUIPC you can use a slider style axis on your X55 or X52 to get rather realistic braking action.  Again.  Where are you going to do all that braking?  With FSUIPC I can get better results setting power as there is alot more fidelity you can achieve with it.  So if I go min throttle, my planes all creep to a stop.  I do not have to "ride" the brakes as it were.  Take care.

Respectfully,

Jet

so the yoke isnt old and outdated and the rudder has brakes right?

Yes, the Saitek rudder pedals have brakes.  Be aware that the Saitek yoke is okay, but it's nowhere near top quality.  I've had mine for two(?) years now, and am looking to upgrade.

If you are going to fly Boeings SKIP the pedals. Boeings are taxied with a Tiller.

A tiller is WAY different than pedals.

I do not use rudder pedals. My philosophy on them is that I do most of my flying in the air. Not on the ground. JUST ME. I also fly jets where Yaw Damp and Rudder Boost plus differential power for x wind operations pretty much negate the need for pedals.

Each to their own.  I would consider rudder pedals one of the most important pieces of hardware, hands down.  To the point where if I had to choose between an expensive yoke and no rudder pedals, or a cheaper yoke and rudder pedals, the second option would still be my choice.

The above recommendation for FSUIPC is very valid.  Without it, that list of equipment I mentioned would be a nightmare to setup and tailor for each individual aircraft.  As it is, I can set each plane to use specific pieces of hardware, complete with different axis calibrations and button mapping.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Cheapo Saitek stick modded to be floor mount, modified x52 throttle, one or two TQ's - a bunch of various helicopters.

LOVE IT!  I may in fact have to try something like this.  Never thought to do so.  It does have holes just for that.  

Yes, the Saitek rudder pedals have brakes.  Be aware that the Saitek yoke is okay, but it's nowhere near top quality.  I've had mine for two(?) years now, and am looking to upgrade.

Each to their own.  I would consider rudder pedals one of the most important pieces of hardware, hands down.  To the point where if I had to choose between an expensive yoke and no rudder pedals, or a cheaper yoke and rudder pedals, the second option would still be my choice.

The above recommendation for FSUIPC is very valid.  Without it, that list of equipment I mentioned would be a nightmare to setup and tailor for each individual aircraft.  As it is, I can set each plane to use specific pieces of hardware, complete with different axis calibrations and button mapping.

Yep I agree.  I may get pedals just to try it.  But like you said to each...  I agree.  

Hey question.  Can you achieve SMOOTH braking with the pedals?  I mean do they brake pedals act as an AXIS or a button?  If Axis then I can see them being a good purchase.

My issue with the X52 as well as the X55 is that you are STUCK flying Right Seat.  That is how the power levers are set up.

If you want a realistic left seat experience the "left handed" throttle controller just did not do it for me.  That is why, I like the yoke with the power levers that come with them.

By the way MADCAZ is sending me more lever knobs so I can put two throttle knobs on the left two levers and something else on the third one.  That way my son can fly his single engine jobs and I can fly my jets.  :)

Respectfully,

Jet

Whoa whoa Whoa!

Slow down :P

Ok IF I GET THE YOKE, I NEED THE RUDDER, the rudder isnt only for taxiing...Lol. It has some good use in the air and while alligining with the runway...

So you are looking to upgrade your yoke?  See, all of this "people stopped using their yokes" really make my wonder if I should just get a freaking X55.....

Guys, forget about me, what would you get if you had NO CONTROLLERS and can only get one, Yoke and rudder or just X55....TELL ME JUST SAY IT DONT SAY ITS UP TO YOU JUST SAY IT.

Hey question. Can you achieve SMOOTH braking with the pedals? I mean do they brake pedals act as an AXIS or a button? If Axis then I can see them being a good purchase.

Smooth braking is most definitely doable; the toe brakes each have their own axis.

My issue with the X52 as well as the X55 is that you are STUCK flying Right Seat. That is how the power levers are set up.
If you want a realistic left seat experience the "left handed" throttle controller just did not do it for me. That is why, I like the yoke with the power levers that come with them.

To be honest, the only setups where I use the stick in a non-military plane are ones where I use the TPM panel (which is of extremely high quality, by the way).  However, I do wish Saitek would release a neutral-handed add-on consisting of just the upper stick; it would be easy to do, since it simply unscrews from the base.

So you are looking to upgrade your yoke? See, all of this "people stopped using their yokes" really make my wonder if I should just get a freaking X55...

Hmm... the yoke is still essential, don't get me wrong.  It's just that yokes in the $200 region are not of the highest quality.  Mine is getting worn out, has a bit of slop to it.  The issue is, the better class of yokes start at around $700, which is not exactly an impulse purchase.  There's really still no replacing a yoke with a stick, unless you really don't mind the break in immersion (some don't and that's okay!).

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

um can you guys please answer my question above? :(

EDIT: Didnt see your answer....Yeah but I just said give me 1-3 words :3 Yoke+throttle + Rudder or X55

FOR ME, from all youve learned and judging by quality and durability and realisim, just tell me what is better for me.