Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Cargo hauling with the 777...(If you like flying off the beaten path)

Hey fellow 777'ers,

Ever since they moved the "Where is your 777 now" and the 777 repaint thread to the screenshots forum, I'm not sure how many of you get out to that forum and see what some "retired" painters do when they've been so inspired by a commercial release they tend to paint it more than they fly it.   :Silly:

I have not flown a single other bird since I got this beast!  And, like I typically do, if there is a paint I want to fly and its not out there, I paint it, fly it and of course share it with the community. (reference: EMB 175/195, LevelD, etc)

Well, Steve's paintshop has been busy, and for those here that have only been here since this wonderful 777 came out are thinking "Who the heck is this guy?".  Let's just say I've painted a few planes in my day, and let my work tell the rest of the story.

If you haven't visited the screenshot forum, these are what I've painted so far, cargo wise:

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=397505

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=397336

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=397171

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=397108

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=396335

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=395993

The last pic is just to show you that while I specialize on photo tails, I can paint the rest of the plane too.  :LMAO:

This one is just about ready (and you can see the rest of the plane in the screenshot forum)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Steve_Dra/777Tiger5.jpg

All of these liveries happen to be fictional, and in our virtual world, that's ok.  One thing this retired painter enjoys is painting what he likes, and I like all these cargo hauling companies...and flying cargo!  Its a pretty fun variation too, like the title of this post says "Fly off the beaten path"  

I tend to fly to all sorts of odd places that need an emergency generator, a critical part that only the 777 can haul,etc.  If you never tried it and are kinda' getting tired of those runs you make with your VA or favorite airline over and over again...give it shot.  Fly to the Marshal Islands to deliver parts for a desalination plant, Take a pride of lions to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi so the wildlife society can reintroduce them into the wild....be creative, fly to places your shiny BA, AA, SA, Emirates tube liner wouldn't be caught dead in, hehe.  Its challenging, you do a lot of your own flight planning, and its pretty satisfying to get into a minimum length airport with a huge bird (and unstable or man-eating cargo) verses those 2 mile long, smooth, navaid galore mega airports. :)  

Anyone here heard of CRAF?  (Google it) 

Just want to invite you to explore other types of flying and other parts of the world if you find yourself a little bored with flying routes you've just about memorized the J-route numbers for. Hehe.

To that end, I've given the community the planes to fly cargo all over the world.

You can get all the paints above by clicking the link in my signature (the last pic's plane is coming soon).

Since I can't post screens here and don't want to make a post here every time I release a paint (which can be pretty frequently if you've known me long enough), I encourage you to visit the screenshot forum and see what I may be painting next.

I can tell you that I'll never paint to the frequency I did in the old days (back when some of you were in diapers), and I'm not really taking requests. That's not to say I never consider them, but I want to be clear that I'm not seeking to paint every airline that ever existed (been there, tried that, only got about half of them done :Just Kidding: ), so please don't be upset if I don't paint the livery you want, no matter how many times (and ways) you ask me.  

Just think of me as a retired painter who used to paint like that, got burned out, and just wants to share some of his favorite liveries with this great PMDG community.  Right now as you can see, I'm on a cargo kick.  When the -300 comes out, who knows?  In fact I'm not sure if I'll be a day one owner since I'm having so much fun hauling cargo and they don't make a -300F that I know of, hehe.

Anyway, the liveries are there, the cargo world is there...if you want to challenge your piloting and navigation skills...I'm giving you the liveries to do it.

Have fun with them guys, and if you haven't...try grabbing some screens and post them in the "Where is your 777 now" post over in the screenshot forum.  There is even a "Where is your 737 now" post there too,  Its a great way to show where you've been, and start interesting discussions with your fellow captains.

We all have a passion for flying, and a passion for the 777...I share them just the same.  But I also have a passion to paint what I like, fortunate enough to have acquired the skills to do it, and probably my greatest passion is to share my efforts with my community.  Been doing it 11+ years...I think I can say that with confidence while not sounding too arrogant.  :smile: 

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Those are some amazing repaints and I enjoyed reading your post! I fly for a VA and I do get the urge (especially after reading this) to do a flight that doesn't end up in a major airport. Maybe Santiago, Chile to New Caledonia with a stop in Easter Island! Thanks for the post and awesome repaints!

Mark Javornik

Look great Steve. And many thanks for sharing your work

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Steve is the man.  I wanted an FS9 195 done but for my FSX and a quick message and Steve hooked me up.  Quality work.  For FREE.  Take that, McFlat.  ;) 

Take that, McFlat. ;)

LOL great comment, I agree 100%

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

LOL great comment, I agree 100%

I mean his work is good, don't get me wrong.  

I mean his work is good, don't get me wrong.  

it's ok, I knew what you meant.

Wow this is a fresh post, awesome to read!   I did google the CRAF.   Steve, is there anyway to see in what they are involved in and when they are flying what?   It would be grand to follow them around in the virutal skies!

Kind regards

Steve has some LEGENDARY LVD paints. I bet I flew each of them at least once. This batch is even better (the Flying Tigers brush metal is just freaking awesome). I was afraid to touch my monitor while looking at it for fear of burning my hand on the hot metal baking in the virtual sun!

Thanks for the comments guys!

Hope you enjoy my repaints and hope to see you in the virtual skies :)

Steve has some LEGENDARY LVD paints. I bet I flew each of them at least once. This batch is even better (the Flying Tigers brush metal is just freaking awesome). I was afraid to touch my monitor while looking at it for fear of burning my hand on the hot metal baking in the virtual sun!

Hey Al, I'm really hoping one day we'll have a PMDG 767 to fly around in...my LVD textures will surely make their way on to a PMDG masterpiece :)

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thanks for the comments guys!

Hope you enjoy my repaints and hope to see you in the virtual skies :)

Hey Al, I'm really hoping one day we'll have a PMDG 767 to fly around in...my LVD textures will surely make their way on to a PMDG masterpiece :)

Still waiting for that FedEx 777, I've taken the partial one for a spin today. See the Where is your 777 now? thread for my screenshot! :D

Still waiting for that FedEx 777, I've taken the partial one for a spin today. See the Where is your 777 now? thread for my screenshot! :D

LOL...too funny...I JUST replied to it...and said pretty much the same thing....TOOO WEIRD!

Wow this is a fresh post, awesome to read!   I did google the CRAF.   Steve, is there anyway to see in what they are involved in and when they are flying what?   It would be grand to follow them around in the virutal skies!

Kind regards

Hey Werner, I'm not sure about that, but I'd like to know that as well.  What I do know for certain is that the CRAF air fleet flies the US military all over the world...I flew on their birds a few times.  World Airways DC-10 (old red/gold paint) and an ATA L1011 (old colors), oh and a Flying Tigers DC-8 back on 1975 (yeah I'm that old)  :lol:

Maybe Santiago, Chile to New Caledonia with a stop in Easter Island! Thanks for the post and awesome repaints!

Go for it...I think you'll find it exciting!  Thank you for the complement.

Steve is the man.  I wanted an FS9 195 done but for my FSX and a quick message and Steve hooked me up.  Quality work.  For FREE.  Take that, McFlat.  ;) 

Hey Craig it was my pleasure.  I need to one day revisit my Embraer paints and make sure I have them all in both fs9 and FSX versions....Its hard to back to small texture maps though when you get used to the quality you can achieve on 3 4096x4096 maps to paint just the fuse.  I've painted whole planes (wings too) on ONE 1024x1024 map.  Not fun!

Look great Steve. And many thanks for sharing your work

Thanks Julian.  If your avatar is accurate in the sense you play guitar, I do as well.  :wink:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

If your avatar is accurate in the sense you play guitar, I do as well.

I do, but not very good. Put on a Jeff Beck cd, then play it backwards...that's me :lol:

The Avatar is my music idol, if we are  allowed one in our later years, it is the late Peter Ham of Badfinger fame.

I do, but not very good. Put on a Jeff Beck cd, then play it backwards...that's me :lol:

The Avatar is my music idol, if we are  allowed one in our later years, it is the late Peter Ham of Badfinger fame.

Ahh. I got ya :)  Remember "Good" is a relative term.  I'll go into a Guitar Center play room, start playing a bit, think I'm sounding pretty good if I do say so myself...then some kid (most people are kids to me since I have more time behind me than ahead of me...fact of life)...some kid will come in and grab a guitar and blow me away...like I want to gently put the guitar down I'm "playing" and pretend I was just looking at it as a gift for someone  :( .  Its like I dont even know how to play...but I;m ok with that...its a hobby and a recreation.  It makes me happy and makes me feel good when I can nail the few songs I do know, house of the rising sun, sweet home Alabama, any Bob Segar, etc.

Anyway...flying, music, painting planes...all passions...I just divide my time as to the intensity I want to devote to each.  I pick up the guitar on long flights over the pond and I'm still in the cockpit. hehe.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Anyway...flying, music, painting planes...all passions...I just divide my time as to the intensity I want to devote to each. I pick up the guitar on long flights over the pond and I'm still in the cockpit. hehe.

Same here Steve. Cannot paint though, to save myself :)