Sign in to follow this  
jcboliveira

LDS767 a general thought

Guest Peter Sidoli

Having spent some time with the LDS 767 and sorted out some issues i was having (mainly my own making :-)I now have an absolutely stunning aircraft which is not only fluid and smooth framerate wise but a totally realistic feeling experience.I fly citations real world and my latest the citation Bravo has an FMC with Primus 1000.It is a system which seems the norm nowadays and even in the Bravo it is strange placing in a hold and seeing the aircraft trundle around the holding pattern.Many features now take away the piloting element.The Pilots just being systems monitors devoid of their skills.With the Bravo we would often say to #### with all that auto rubbish tune in the flight director and hand fly before hitting RVSM levels.Accepting an automated aircraft Like the 767 it is so important that there is a complete database of worldwide Sids and Stars so that this aircraft can be used to its full potential.This is my only dissapointment that there are so few Sids and Stars. I am not placing the blame at the LDS767 but pointing out a deficiency we have in general especially with aircraft achieving the high standards of the LDS767 and offerings from PMDG.In the Bravo you can save placing in all the waypoints by selecting the Airway like say UP603 and only placing your start and finish point on that airway that too would be a nice feature to have in our high tech sim world.But this 767 is out of this world! thanks to all those involved in bringing the aircraft to us.Peter

i agree, the aircraft is simply amazing. But that is my main concern, the sid/star issues. I dont know if it take a little time, or if we just need to wait. With the pmdg, you can download al the sid/stars from the same site that you get the fmc data for. Does he write all the sid/stars? And do we just have to wait a little? Only thing i am curious about. Great aircraft!:-wave

Guest Peter Sidoli

I dont understand the problems because the data is available not just to feed expensive 767s but also units like the Garmin 530.Whether that data has to be hand modified to be read by a particular aircraft sim in FS? maybe someone can explain?Peter

Here are a few problems faced by anyone wanting to implement a complete database for either GPS or FMC use:1) The "FS World" is frozen in time and recreates the world's navaids as they existed in late 1992 as supplied to MS from Jeppesen. Hence, any database that is more "current" will likewise be inconsistent with regards to the sim's database.2) Many people modify the FS navaids through AFCAD2 and other such programs, so that the internal FS database is no longer self-consistent.3) The current information freely available via internet is scheduled to become unavailable at some indeterminate future point. Few people want to lock their algorithims to a source that cannot be relied upon.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Out of curiosity: if the database of navaids in FS9 is "fixed" as of what was available in 1992, then what is the point of downloading updates via navdata.at?In the long run, shouldn't such updates begin to conflict with the fixed database in FS9? ricardo

Guest Peter Sidoli

BillBut surely the data will remain available the only difference is that it will have to be paid for as is the current norm with the likes of Jepp.There is no reason why Microsoft under licence cannot have all the data from Jepp and pay them for it?If I go out and buy a Garmin 530/430 it comes with a complete database holding Sids and Stars. Okay you wouldnt get updates until the next Microsoft release but thats not the end of the world?Or am I missing something here?Peter

Guest B742FAN

You can insert the start/end waypoints for airways in the Level-D. At least I have been able to in the US.__Josh

Guest lamont

"In the Bravo you can save placing in all the waypoints by selecting the Airway like say UP603 and only placing your start and finish point on that airway that too would be a nice feature to have in our high tech sim world."Peter, this is modeled in the LDS, as a matter of fact it was in the original PIC-767 also as well as the PMDG.For the LDS, after entering your departure airport and arrival airport go to page two of the route page. There on the left side you will see VIA this is where you would enter UP603 and whatever intersection or vor you are ending with goes on the right side. The FMC will pick up all in-between navaids and add them to your flightplan.

I believe the data is from late 2002 not 1992, the magnetic variation should be around 1990. If you fly online the VACC and ARTCC usually issue charts indicating what the AIRAC to be used is. Some go above that and indicate sceneries with the correct navaids. Usually the users update the FMC airacs in an effort to keep them in sync with these procedures. However the charts are the primary source of information.Jos