Sign in to follow this  
THERetroGamerNY

Suddenly won't boot

So, today, I try and boot-up FS9, just like normal, and after the splash screen stays up for a bit, and a flurry of HD activity, it just dumps straight back to the desktop.

WtH?! Nothing has changed...

Is it possible something got corrupted, and I need to reinstall the base sim?

2 things that you should try when something like this happens.

First is to backup your FS9.cfg, then delete it and let FS rebuild it.

Then you should do the same with your logbook.bin.

This file is a common cause of the sim not starting.

I believe there is a tool to fix a bad logbook, I would search this forum and the library for logbook.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Could be a module issue - if you have fs8 or earlier modules, check that you have the oldmodules section in your fs9.cfg and that each module is named with =1 after it

Is it possible something got corrupted, and I need to reinstall the base sim?

You might also try running the free registry repair tool from Flight1. It traces the FS9 executable to the registry and will repair its registry entries if needed. A corrupted registry entry could be your problem based on the HD activity you described - as it searches the registry looking for FS9 related entries before the OS gives up / times out.

Regards,

Zero clue what the heck happened ... blew out the entire install and reinstalled a fresh copy ... I'll just re-install the scenery and planes as needed.

Too bad you deleted it all. You should have gone in to the FS9.cfg and manually edited the default flight to a different scenario - preferably on the other side of the planet with a different aircraft. Even with flight pre-load nominally turned off, FS does do a sort of preload in that the default aircraft is loaded for display in the window. Further, if you do have it set to preload (which you might, but probably don't), it loads the scenery for the area too - all before you see the UI at all. If it was a corrupt texture or model file or SOMETHING, you could have saved yourself the reinstall.

I've had very similar things happen to me when I've deleted or moved the aircraft used in the default flight inadvertently...

But I'm not saying that is what happened to you. Maybe you did need to reinstall - what I described above is not a common problem!