Sign in to follow this  
Gregdpw

Toga turns lnav and vnav lights off

I recently been playing around with the pmdg 737. I have done the tutorial flights a few times now. But now when I am going to flight aware and getting some real life flight plans. I get everything all setup. Arm lnav and vnav at the gate. Arm auto throttle. Got a solid magenta line.

So when I get to the runway I move the thrust to 40 percent and click the toga. The lnav and vnav lights go out. But are still outlined in white on my display. I then fly for about 30 seconds and I click lnav and vnav. They both light up. Then I click auto pilot A.

Just wondering what I am doing wrong for the L and vnav lights to go out when in toga?

I am also using wind from active sky next. Could that have something to do with it?

I'm no expert but one you get to 400agl the LNAV and VNAV will rearm green lights, be patient you will see.

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Okay thank you! I tried on a different pc and they went off. Then went back on again. Might have to try to uninstall and reinstall.

Okay thank you! I tried on a different pc and they went off. Then went back on again. Might have to try to uninstall and reinstall.

No.  This is a normal behavior.  Uninstalls rarely ever solve issues, and can sometimes cause more issues.

Always rule out pilot error (or misconception first)!

Kyle Rodgers

I tried it out on my laptop with no wind and calm sky's and it worked just fine.

Now I gotta figure out if the wind in active sky is causing the issue. I have been putting the ave wind/cruse I to the int reference page.

No. It is not wind related...in any way. Its normal for the lights to go out....youll see that lnav and vnav are armed in the PFD. After passing 400 ft above ground level, the lights will come back on. Reinstalls and wot not is wasting your time.

Luke Pype

I tried it out on my laptop with no wind and calm sky's and it worked just fine.

Now I gotta figure out if the wind in active sky is causing the issue. I have been putting the ave wind/cruse I to the int reference page.

Greg,

As three people have said so far: you're trying to "solve" a problem that doesn't exist.  What you're seeing is a normal behavior.  Please read the intro manual and fly tutorial 1.  I believe that at least once of those references the behavior.

In more detail, when you press TO/GA, if you look at your FMA (on your PFD), you'll see that the annunciated modes are not LNAV/VNAV.  It likely says N1 | (blank, with white LNAV) | TO/GA (with white VNAV).  This means that LNAV and VNAV are armed, but not active.  Since they're armed and not active yet (until passing through the minimums for the modes), the MCP lights for LNAV and VNAV turn off.

Always pay attention to your FMA.  As soon as LNAV and VNAV change from white to green, you can engage the AP and have it fly using those modes.

As I said earlier:

Always rule out your own misconception first - it'll spare you a ton of extra work in troubleshooting "issues" that aren't really issues.

Kyle Rodgers

Greg,

As Kyle mentions, ALWAYS believe the FMA, not the lights, buttons on the MCP. Imagine, if the bulb on the HDG SEL button has fused and does not work when you press it. That does not mean that HDG SEL is not engaged, because in all likelihood it is annunciated on the FMA. Remember FMA will always tell you what modes are engaged/armed, not the MCP.

Another eg. is APP. When you arm APP, the APP button on the MCP will illuminate and LOC and GS are armed on the FMA in white. Once they are both captured the APP light on the MCP will go off. This does not mean that APP is not engaged any more. Your FMA will still show LOC and GS in green, meaning the AFDS is following the Localizer and Glide Slope in their respective Lateral and Vertical Modes.

Regards,

Dinshaw Parakh