Sign in to follow this  
Flyguy9876

The age old REX vs Active Sky?

REX is just a program used to INSTALL textures. Then close it and run FSX/ASN/engine of choice ( rex does have a weather engine, but It doesn't compare)

Most users are saying  rex4  in this thread  and  rex4 hasn't  a weather  addon, maybe your thinking of  the previous version of  rex

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I find that very hard to believe.  The programs are literally night and day.

If you're only looking at it from the settings and lack of graphics options, sure, I could see that it seems "simpler," and not as feature-packed.  If you load up your sim, though, you should definitely notice a difference.

Hi Kyle, ya Im thinking I missed something.  I have been looking for reviews on Next from users of Active Sky.  So what are your main THREE features in your opinion where Next Stands out.  When I say I didn't notice I am thinking I probably did not give it proper testing as I should have.  I was probably chasing down some other issue to busy to look close enough.

So if you would what are your three or four.  Thanks!

:)

Respectfully,

Jet

Most users are saying  rex4  in this thread  and  rex4 hasn't  a weather  addon, maybe your thinking of  the previous version of  rex

I was referring to the older version of REX, yes.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

So if you would what are your three or four.  Thanks!

1. The weather is "mode-less.

In the past, you had to choose between DWC, and other depiction modes.  Now, it's just a single mode, seemingly taking advantage of all of the old modes' advantages without (noticeable) disadvantages.

2. Weather depiction is more accurate.  I used to fly into destinations and have the weather not look/behave as the RW METAR dictated (yes, I was using the "force destination wx" option with a flight plan loaded into ASE>AS2012).  I have yet to see that with ASN.

3. Cloud depiction and IFR weather seem to be more appropriate and accurate.  Cloud layers are at the reported altitudes, with the right coverage.  The depiction of visibility issues is also rather amazing.

I can't really list "cool new features."  It's just big improvements on an already good product.

Kyle Rodgers

To expand a little further:

• ASN provides "Direct Wind Control" ("wind smoothing") without "cloud popping"
  • Up-/downdrafts, windshear, microbursts are modelled more precisely ("now wx matters")
  • Sound effects for hail and a "windshear" warning triggered by ASN (you have hardly heard one from any of your aircraft before)

Fly a small plane over hilly terrain with ASN and feel the up- and downdrafts, or fly a heavy into a windshear - the result will be "amazing" either way!   :lol:

cloud popping

That's what killed it for me with every other engine.

I remember using AS2012, I had to use DWC to avoid popping and wind-shifts. Problem was, you then had to look at the same cumulus cloud layer everywhere you go. It was really boring to see the same weather with just clouds at different levels.

ASN pretty much make me rethink how far devs can go with cheating FSX's limits.

BTW Oliver, They are fixing the bug in the current build that only allows cloud turbulence near storms. We will soon have random cloud turbulence according to cloud type and temperature.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Wow. Time to re evall THanks so moch!!

Respectfully,

Jet

Downloaded test flight ... Yep I missed something. imressive

Respectfully,

Jet

Downloaded test flight ... Yep I missed something. imressive

Respectfully,

Jet

[Apologies if this is a repeat post]

By the sound of things, Jetblst is using Active Sky 2012 or another older version. If you are getting your first Active Sky weather engine, I'd recommend getting ASN since you haven't already made an investment.

I use ASN and although there is (at least on my low end system) a fps hit, I think it's worth it. There are some strong supporters of other weather engines, but an important thing to remember is that when sp1 comes out for the 777, you'll need ASN to use the weather radar as they are so far the only ones to provide the required weather details. Also, there appear to be plans for the weather radar to come to the ngx, and the upcoming FSLabs will have an ASN powered weather radar.

As far as textures go, I planned to get Rex 4 textures but I asked for freeware recommendations in the mean time and was recommended the HDEv2 sky and clouds, although there is a fix required for one of the texture sets to ensure FSX compatibility. I also recently found out about a free water enhancer but I haven't yet tried it. If you're not overly worried about the runway and water textures, it might be worth getting ASN and the HDEv2 textures and then deciding if you want to move to rex4 - it won't cost anything more except for the time to install.

I hadn't intended this to be so long, but I hope it helps.

REX4 Texture Direct + FSGRW is my choice.

I own ASN, Opus, REX and FSGRW and FSGRW is the only one, that doesn't give me wind shifts.

I own ASN, Opus, REX and FSGRW and FSGRW is the only one, that doesn't give me wind shifts.

ASN does not give wind shifts.  It does give wind shear, which is appropriate and is announced over FlightWatch radio, 122.0... do any of the others have custom radio channels that give weather information?  This is more info than is usually given by ATIS.  I prefer to get a radio message than reading text on the screen.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

ASN does not give wind shifts.  It does give wind shear

At least for me it gives wind shifts. Look here at 22:08 (winds increased by 30kts) and again at 22:21 (winds dropped by 30kts):

http://www.twitch.tv/virtualfreightdog/b/544418936

I have the aural wind shear warning enabled and as you may notice, there was no aural alert, when the wind shifts happened.

Hi,

sorry to intervene here, but this is not a wind shift but a typical windshear encounter as created by ASN (not a full microburst though this time). The 40kts increase/decrease in wind speed, the altitude it occurred and the timings are typical of this. The reason you didn't hear an aural alert is that either you haven't installed XGauge, or it was installed and powered off. The XGauge is "responsible" for the aural alert and if not installed then you'll not get an alert from ASN. It's not enough to have the respective setting selected.

So, you can either install  and power it or if you don't want to install the gauge, decrease the windshear percentage. If none is an option, then you should at least take a look at the main window ASN, while on approach, or listen to 122.05. Both of these should clarify about the presence of this (or other) hazard(s). Finally, you can wait for the addition of pws (predictive wind shear) on the the ND that many aircrafts have or are about to implement.

Thanks,

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Thanks, Kostas.  I hit my first wind shear today, and it felt nothing like the old wind shifts.  I immediately tuned to FlightWatch radio and they issued a caution for it.  A little late to help me, but at least I knew exactly what had happened.

Amazing program.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;