Sign in to follow this  
Nikdunaev

What if a passenger asks to see the flight papers?

which airline do you work for please ?

I do not work for airline, that's just my experience as a passenger, although I always carry at least my flight school id and license. 

I would never give anyone our flight papers. They've got our names and employee numbers on them!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

I do not work for airline, that's just my experience as a passenger, although I always carry at least my flight school id and license. 

thought as much as your talking a load of rubbish

14ppkc-6.png

Unless you have a "need to know" (which an aviation fan or simmer doesn't), at least here in the US (or on any carrier's flight to the US) I think you could be questioned by authorities and potentially land yourself on a "no-fly" list. I wish I was wrong,, and maybe I am, but I would be very cautious.

Bruce.

I'm sorry, mister faa licenced dispatcher.

Ive worked for 4 airlines over 14 years, 1 long haul, one low cost, one charter and one short haul legacy, so yes a tiny bit of experience.

some captains will happily give you a spare plog after the flight if they have a spare one, it, some will not. simple as that.

some airlines ask their pilots to give the plogs back with amended fuel figures which are used to biase the aircraft database in the flightplanning system.

and as the other poster said, the plogs have commerically sensetive infomation on it, such as what fuel reserve/policy the company use, what the payload was, and also the crews names and staff numbers etc etc.

14ppkc-6.png

some captains will happily give you a spare plog after the flight if they have a spare one, it, some will not. simple as that.

Please quote me where I state that captain will give you anything to carry with you? As I said, they will give you to take a look, not to carry it home. Agree, it would be dumb to give papers with your name, id numbers, signature... to any passenger.

Well, you could try your luck first with let's say a bus driver, ask for his license, bus insurance, ownership etc and let us know how it went hahaha!

More seriously, unless you board the aircraft as a local CAA inspector, not one Crew member will let you have a look at the flight paperwork, would it be cargo, passenger manifest, aircraft ownership or maintenance records etc. It's sensitive (and sometimes heavy!) data, and that's a serious breach of safety, for many reasons that people don't discuss on forums.

If some have agreed well good for them, I would be interested too in knowing these airlines, just to make sure I won't fly with them.

We live in times of darkness and your request would sound quite suspicious. Nowadays a word can be enough for offloading and making you spend a couple of hours with some guys that would forever change your views on this industry.

Also bear in mind that a Crew could loose his job for being nice, that's how it goes unfortunately.

Very clever to make fun of Dispatchers, not one airliner would be in the sky right now without NOCs and Dispatchers!

Easy to do that in Europe. Just ask after flight to speak with captain. Then, ask captain to visit the cockpit. Once you are in cockpit, just ask to take a look at documentation, they will give you.

just there, "they will give you"

14ppkc-6.png

When I was flying 1900s, the FO would be boarding the pax while I was working on weight and balance, going over the dispatch paperwork or going thru the aircraft logbook. sometimes passengers will stick their heads in the cockpit and say they're a pilot or something and mention that if we needed help or anything they could help. At that point I'd smile and say "sure" I'll take you up on the offer. Thanks and just hand them the whole kit and caboodle. Aircraft maintenance log, dispatch, weight and balance and fuel slip. I'll just be in the terminal come get me when it's all done and let me know when we can go.

At that point most pax decline and go take their seats.

So that's what I've done when someone's asked about the paperwork.

Others are curious and ask what we were doing up front during the flight - because the pax can see what we are doing in flight. If they are sitting in seat 1A, sometimes I'll offer them a headset so they can listen in on the intercom during flight. Sometimes during the approach I'll look back in the cabin and usually most pax are all leaning into the aisle trying to look out the front window to see the runway - it's like looking thru a straw. A different view from the cabin than what we see up in the front.

Personally, I've gotten the whole dispatch report on American from Chicago to Boston about 6 months ago. Being a teen, I went up to the captain in the terminal and asked to board a little early to watch them do preflight. I knew it was practically impossible, but what do you know, he let me! I sat there for 25 minutes, chatted a little and then went to sit in my seat for the flight. When I came back up, the FO wanted me to rate his landing on a scale of 1 to 10 (10!!  :P), they offered me the dispatch! Hanging up on my wall for when I do the ORD-BOS hop.

Will

The latest posts start to look more like the real thing at least that is how it looks for me :)

Regarding the previous ones who are those guys mentioned above here supposed to be actually?

Did not you think that one has to commit a crime to get to the no fly list or even get arrested? :)

Did not you think that one has to commit a crime to get to the no fly list or even get arrested? :)

No I don't because all that's needed is suspicion. You don't have to committ a crime to get on the no-fly list or get arrested,

On the wider point, the flight documents are the private property of the airline, and the public has no right to see them. Only those with legal authority are entitled to see them.

No I don't because all that's needed is suspicion. You don't have to committ a crime to get on the no-fly list or get arrested,

Well, an aviation enthusiast explaining his interest in such stuff and then asking whether he could possibly take a look at papers most definitely isn't something that should get one arrested or on a no-fly list. 

If you know some countries / airlines where that would happen then please tell me, I want to avoid such dystopian places at any cost.