Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

If the whole Flight Simulator market has to be aimed at folks that like throwing switches for a half-hour before they fly, the hobby is indeed dead. There aren't that many folks like that, but they can be very vocal  :P

And why can't the makers of those type of add-ons continue to make them for whatever Dovetail eventually comes out with in 2015? Folks who want incredible realism don't fly the stock planes in FSX, right? They won't fly them in the new sim either, so why care what they are like? If there is demand for them, realistic planes will be developed, just like more realistic train add-ons are now appearing for Train Simulator.

Everybody relax and stop declaring that this has to be a bad development. There is no reason it HAS to be.

- Bill Magann

Agreed Oldar, it's not the end of FSX for serious simmers!  I am looking forward to see what Dovetail can do with the Flight engine.

I also agree with CyberMike and wish someone would use the Outerra engine..

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

If the whole Flight Simulator market has to be aimed at folks that like throwing switches for a half-hour before they fly, the hobby is indeed dead. There aren't that many folks like that, but they can be very vocal

But you see, repeat after me, sir:  "SIMULATOR".

Right, carry on.

:-)

I am looking forward to see what Dovetail can do with the Flight engine.

The question is, what do they NEED to do with the code to successfully peddle their DCL?

Really nothing is the answer, sir.

spacer.png

The question is, what do they NEED to do with the code to successfully peddle their DCL?

Because DoveTail intends to make money out of it - which is what every successful company in the world does.

Right, carry on.

Once upon a time, This was considered a simulator, and a very good state of the art one at that: 210-Link-C-3-Flight-Trainer_01_zps27ccf9

The point is: who defines the word simulator, and who defines what is a "true" simulator? Where is the hard line between a "game" and a simulator? and who has the absolute right to decide where that line is?

For everybody.

Who decides how much immersion, and of what particular type is sufficient? One persons "full simulator" is another persons path to utter boredom. Who is arrogant enough to decide for the whole world what the correct and only definition is, for all of us?

And why must so many of us here look down on others who make different choices from such a great imagined height?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Because DoveTail intends to make money out of it - which is what every successful company in the world does.

Yep, but that market-driven goal is incompatible with this community's needs.

spacer.png

Been reading all of the posts, and reading the press release.

I'm not certain that this action between MS and DG means anything to us at all.

With the exception of a very few, I don't believe that any of us knows what the verbiage of that agreement is.  MS retained the actual flight dynamics engine IP, so DG only got the rights to distribute and to develop new content, far as I can tell.  That's it. 

Think about this for a moment, and forget about MSTS, RS, etc. that's completely knackered by DG according to those users:

LM got a license, too.  It took them from the initial deal in 2008 or so until recently to release v2.2.  So whatever DG does, it probably won't be this year, maybe not even next.  Don't panic until you have a reason to.

LM hired members of the original ACES team, probably the core "brains" if you will.  So that side will continue to develop content.  With those members on LM's payroll, P3D will probably go farther than DG ever will.

Although FSX no longer resides on my SSD's, I have the DVD's.  So what if Microsoft turns off the activation server?  There will be plenty of public workarounds for the DRM if that happens.  I'm not worried about it. 

All of our devs (PMDG, Opus, FT, etc.) aren't going to roll over tonight and wait to see what happens.  They will continue to develop content, and because we don't know the legal verbiage, they all may have the right to step away from DG.  I don't think we know that yet.

Because LM sees their platform as a professional suite, I doubt they would ever go the route of DG, which is primarily gaming.  Which means that the devs we love now, whether single engine GA or a full-on airliner, will still be developing for P3D.  DG's license probably cannot infringe on LM's license, and technically, the LM product is no longer FSX, it is something else.  That would mean that DG cannot step in and say "It can be used on FSX, so it belongs to us" if it's a product developed for P3D.

Lastly, I would say as a safeguard, if you want it, don't wait, get it soon.  If you have the programs and have paid for them, DG will probably have no affect on you.  Myself, the thousands of $ I have in add-ons will remain useful as long as Windows remains compatible.

I'm going to wait this one out.  Save hyperbole for when it's really needed, which is not yet.

Edit - Steam replaced with DG.  My bad.  Apologies.

@Phil Taylor (#353)

Thank you very much for these explanations ! It's very informative, useful, clear ! All is said !

Kind Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Happy with my current FSX setup. Don't care what Dovetail does.

Except, my only concern is how my current DVD FSX activation will be handled; if and when I need to reinstall.

Geez, OMG, that was one impressive reply. Good job Phil! Maybe you can work on the side with Dove Tail and provide them some guidance? 

Regards

Bob

Right, carry on.

Wellll, did you go through flight school to be an ATP? That would be an accurate simulation of being an airline pilot. Did you drive to the airport? If you are flying a GA plane did you pay for it? Are you paying rental or gas? That is all part of the real experience too, maybe the key part for me when I was a pilot! Do you sweat out a medical exam? If you crash, do you have to face the FAA? Or pay hospital bills? Without that little part it is not very realistic indeed!  B)

The point is none of it is essential to everyone. And it is still simulation, just of different parts of the experience. For me, I want accurate flight models and much much better ATC then we have been getting. For others it is, apparently, setting up the aircraft pre-flight and programming the computer. To each his own. But there is no one right way that defines it as simulation.

Who decides how much immersion, and of what particular type is sufficient? One persons "full simulator" is another persons path to utter boredom. Who is arrogant enough to decide for the whole world what the correct and only definition is, for all of us?

And why must so many of us here look down on others who make different choices from such a great imagined height?

Oh my gosh, a perfect post. 1000+

- Bill Magann

There was nothing wrong with FLIGHT as a simulator. The world was dead, so that sucked, but it simulated flight just fine.

Those that are so "hardcore" on here probably couldn't get through the first 5 minutes of the oral evaluation of a private check ride, never mind actually getting into the air. 

With that said, I enjoy hardcore simulations. But hardcore doesn't have to be pushing buttons in an NGX. Hardcore can just as easily be flying a Stearman or a Cherokee realistically. 

I'm not certain that this action between MS and Steam means anything to us at all.

With the exception of a very few, I don't believe that any of us knows what the verbiage of that agreement is.  MS retained the actual flight dynamics engine IP, so Steam only got the rights to distribute and to develop new content, far as I can tell.  That's it. 

I have my own reasons for not liking Steam, but whatever anyone else thinks or does regarding Steam, it doesn't matter to me.  I'm not here to argue about Steam.

Think about this for a moment, and forget about MSTS, RS, etc. that's completely knackered by Steam according to those users:

LM got a license, too.  It took them from the initial deal in 2008 or so until recently to release v2.2.  So whatever Steam does, it probably won't be this year, maybe not even next.  Don't panic until you have a reason to.

You're confusing Steam, which is a simply a content delivery system owned by Valve Corporation, and Dovetail Games, which is the company who actually have the licensing agreement with Microsoft.

Steve

Yep, but that market-driven goal is incompatible with this community's needs.

As long as DoveTail makes money expects it won't care about this community's needs - what those may be.

You're confusing Steam, which is a simply a content delivery system owned by Valve Corporation, and Dovetail Games, which is the company who actually have the licensing agreement with Microsoft.

Steve

OK, so substitute DG for Steam.  I did it.  The point remains the same.