Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

Existing DVD Gold users would then have a game vastly inferior to the same game on Steam. It might very well be that MS/Steam/DTG will work out a way to convert existing FSX Gold product codes into Steam keys so everyone is an equal.

Why should those who've bought "a game vastly inferior" expect to be equal who those who bought a better one?

Why should those who've bought "a game vastly inferior" expect to be equal who those who bought a better one?

If you went a store and bought 

"FSX Gold" on DVD

Then went online and saw a game called

"FSX Gold" on Steam

And one copy was vastly inferior to the next.. Wouldn't you raise an eyebrow? 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

"FSX Gold" on DVD

"FSX Gold" on Steam

No, I'd say it was my fault for choosing to buy the  vastly inferior version.

"FSX Gold" on DVD

"FSX Gold" on Steam

I'm pretty sure they said that FSX on Steam would be called "Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition".

No, I'd say it was my fault for choosing to buy the  vastly inferior version.

Since I have the feeling no matter how rationally I explain this to you, you will spin and spin and spin till I'm dizzy.. I will just opt to not bother and walk away. 

I'm pretty sure they said that FSX on Steam would be called "Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition".

You know as well as I do that would be dirty pool to justify splitting the community over such a trivial name difference.  

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

If by EA you mean Electronic Arts, I was a big fan of Flight Unlimited III.

Yes, and EA were responsible for shoving it out of the door before it was ready.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, and EA were responsible for shoving it out of the door before it was ready.

And I pretty much loathe and avoid EA games just as much as the next person, but premature release is an industry-wide problem.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

One could have said the same about Microsoft when they released FSX. This is so common in the software industry that it's actually the standard now. Software almost always gets released prematurely

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Software almost always gets released prematurely

Even FSX addons suffer from this marketing ploy.

but premature release is an industry-wide problem.

There's an old rule about cars- "Never buy a new model in its first year of production."

Applies also to software and just about everything made by humans!

january

https://store.steampowered.com/mobilestorefront/topsellers (XPlane current #9)

Sadly, FSX probably won't get on this list unless DTG plans to overhaul the graphics system.

XPlane looks pretty good here. That being said, the demo did NOT give me these results. They cheat a bit with mass AA on, which makes everything look pretty nice in the screenshots.

Since I have the feeling no matter how rationally I explain this to you, you will spin and spin and spin till I'm dizzy.. I will just opt to not bother and walk away.

You could always try to explain it?

You know as well as I do that would be dirty pool to justify splitting the community over such a trivial name difference.

But didn't you say that Flight Simulator Gold is a  "vastly inferior"  of version Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition - which is it?

https://store.steampowered.com/mobilestorefront/topsellers (XPlane current #9)

Sadly, FSX probably won't get on this list unless DTG plans to overhaul the graphics system.

XPlane looks pretty good here. That being said, the demo did NOT give me these results. They cheat a bit with mass AA on, which makes everything look pretty nice in the screenshots.

The issue of "cheating" is interesting here, which is why I wondered about it (and decided they weren't) in a previous post.

My personal view is that it's cheating if they're taking screenshots at settings that aren't achievable at a steady 30 fps or better, on what most of us would consider a very high-end gaming computer rig. Same thing for video, if they're rendering frames and assembling them in a video editor. 

I don't have a super high end computer, and I can get close enough to those screenshots (with AA) to know what a truly high-end machine can do. There are YouTube clips from users that show this too. I don't think they're cheating, unless it's by not stating explicitly what kind of hardware you need to get results like that, at a flyable frame rate. Flight sim enthusiasts are supposed to understand that, and the "gamers" that use big screens and high resolutions for shooters are also tweak-heads when it comes to this stuff. It's only the casual gamers who might not realize what they'll need, to get results like that.

Remember also that you're looking at a 64-bit sim, which eases the load (although maybe less than you might expect) for these graphics.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor