Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

Next step forward would a port over to PS4 and X-B One...maybe in 2015. :Yawn: 

Jazz

Next step forward would a port over to PS4 and X-B One...maybe in 2015. :Yawn:

Jazz

I don't believe that's ever gonna happen. For one thing, FSX is too freaking huge. For another, without being pretty much re-written (which apparently DTG doesn't have permission to do) it would run like a hobbled pig. For a third, as updated as the graphics can become with the appropriate addons, it still looks like a circa 2006 game to just about everyone else.

Flight, on the other hand was a very compact program that took advantage of modern graphics cards. I don't think it would be outrageously hard to get it on a console, if one was determined to do something that silly.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

For one thing, FSX is too freaking huge. For another, without being pretty much re-written (which apparently DTG doesn't have permission to do) it would run like a hobbled pig.

I agree with you, about FSX being a viable port over. My thoughts were more towards Flight. (guess I should have wrote that part down, my apologies...) If DTG do, in fact, have the code for Flight, that would be the tech to port over. No mention has been made about their permission to modify that code. I think they will use FSX to make some quick operating cash, and then dump that cash into making Flight a multi-platform game, a-la XPX.  With Flight, I can see DTG making a sim capable of a flight sim, a train sim, and a fishing sim, all on one base product. As far as their DLC, well, CHA-CHING!! Just my 2 cents, keeping in mind, I am far from being a business exec.

regards, Jazz

I don't believe that's ever gonna happen. For one thing, FSX is too freaking huge. For another, without being pretty much re-written (which apparently DTG doesn't have permission to do) it would run like a hobbled pig. For a third, as updated as the graphics can become with the appropriate addons, it still looks like a circa 2006 game to just about everyone else.

Flight, on the other hand was a very compact program that took advantage of modern graphics cards. I don't think it would be outrageously hard to get it on a console, if one was determined to do something that silly.

I don't see how its gonna sell very well on PC its an old sim with poor performance and in stock form has poor graphics by today's standards. Unless MS has fixed the code for Dovetail I don't see much changing as not many will be buying it. 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I tend to agree that it makes more sense to use the MS Flight engine for any new games, rather than the FSX engine. It will be much more compact and efficient.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You are well behind the times. P3D Version 2.0 used Direct 11 which was released in November 2013' and is already on Version 2.2, with 2.3 expected shortly.

Yes thank you. They also confirmed they they are working on a 64bit version of P3D but with no timeline.

It will be much more compact and efficient.
and a more controlled environment with regards to add-on compatibility. DTG could, potentially, make a killing with this, versus getting killed with FSX's old broken code.

Jazz

Dovetail already said that the disc version should be completely separate from the steam version of FSX and the overall direction of the game is in Microsoft's hands.

I don't see how its gonna sell very well on PC its an old sim with poor performance and in stock form has poor graphics by today's standards. Unless MS has fixed the code for Dovetail I don't see much changing as not many will be buying it. 

FSX Gold is still in the top 10 best seller over at fspilotshop.

This response came straight from Dovetail on their steam hub:

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. Hopefully this will clear the situation up.

Dovetail Games has acquired the rights to distribute the multi-award winning Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition via Valve's popular digital retail channel, Steam, entitles Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. Box distribution remains in control of Microsoft and is unrelated to the announcement we have made. We will be acting as a publisher for Microsoft in relation to FSX. We have a license to re=release FSX on Steam and this does not extend to making product improvements. Ultimately overall direction for the product remains with Microsoft.

As stated we have also acquired a global licensing deal with Microsoft, granting us the rights to develop and publish all-new flight products based on Microsoft's genre-defining flight technology. We are currently investigating new concepts in this area and is expecting to bring a release to market in 2015

- Martin

And, so, how does the last paragraph not make this far more than simply a distribution deal?  They have the right to develop new products...not just distribute old ones....

They have the right to develop new products...not just distribute old ones....

We all knew this from the day of the announcement so what is your point?

I for one wont be buying this new flight sim from Dovetail and having to pay 100s for downloads and add ons to the already 100s i have spent on add ons including aircraft for FSX which i run DX 10 and its very stable

If they don't make all my FTX scenery and add on aircraft like PMDG 737 and Aerosoft A320 compatible on there new flight simulator so i can purchase there new sim and put all my add ons i have now onto the sim i wont be spending more money on add ons that i am already happy with in FSX full stop.

Bad move microsoft

Matt

DTG lives off of DLC, so your FSX stuff will probably not be compatible.