Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

I cannot but think based on my own speculation that putting FSX on Steam is all about starting a row with LM. ..... DT is just MS puppet.

The saddest part of this post for me, was the realisation that you actually believe this. What are they teaching our kids at school nowadays?

Well I highly doubt that all our fav devs will happily comply and give up a fraction to be on steam.

Money talks..  No one thought as many 3PD for Train Simulator would jump to Steam distribution also but now it's nearly every single one of them. Even a-lot the freeware people who swore they would never sell out are now selling their addons through them on Steam.  Only ONE 3PD pulled their work off Steam that I know of because he hated the way it worked.  He ended up closing his own business down and selling all his work to DTG. 

Again.. Money talks..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I for one, have never seen money actually talk, so I will hold off publishing my papers in American Scientific until further review.

Like I said earlier, 2006 FSX on steam. That'll be as useless as a tick on a dog... and it'll be a dog sales wise. It may actually cost more to have it there... costing storage and server electricity bucks then it will make!

So.. now what. What exactly did Doveass buy/rent?  Highest bidder to be on steam with a 2006 program??!!

Something aint adding up... and the money aint talking.

Like I said earlier, 2006 FSX on steam. That'll be as useless as a tick on a dog... and it'll be a dog sales wise. It may actually cost more to have it there... costing storage and server electricity bucks then it will make!

That's the job of Valve, who earn 30% of each purchase.

It will most certainly make FSX sell way better than if it wasn't there. Few people bother buying boxed games anymore when they can just get everything from Steam instantly. 

Anything sells in Steam, one company even made Goat simulator and had loads of sales. 

I for one, have never seen money actually talk, so I will hold off publishing my papers in American Scientific until further review.

So.. now what. What exactly did Doveass buy/rent?  Highest bidder to be on steam with a 2006 program??!!

Something aint adding up... and the money aint talking.

Steam costs nothing to host a game on.. It's just extremely hard to get your work on it.  Rumor has it (no concrete commission numbers because of NDAs) Steam wants roughly 30% of sales.. From what I hear 3PD get about 10-15% of sales depending on how giving the distributor is and the distributor pockets the rest. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

That's the job of Valve, who earn 30% of each purchase.

Actually, no one really knows for sure. It really depends on the game.

The indie developer of Super Hexagon (a $3 game) doesn't give the same amount of money to Valve as the developer of The Witcher ($60, AAA game)

Actually, no one really knows for sure. It really depends on the game.

The indie developer of Super Hexagon (a $3 game) doesn't give the same amount of money to Valve as the developer of The Witcher ($60, AAA game)

Yeah, that's why I included in my post that there is no real concrete commission numbers because every one of those guys is under an NDA. 

VATSIM runs totally outside of FS, so absolutely nothing.

People somehow think that FSX and/or their FSX is somehow changing in any area because of this development and it is NOT changing.

Let them believe what they want.

No matter what happens with FSX, how very sad for this company that it has drawn (earned?) this much ridicule and fear.

spacer.png

The saddest part of this post for me, was the realisation that you actually believe this. What are they teaching our kids at school nowadays?

Out of all of the 600 or so speculative posts in this thread you picked mine to ridicule!

Thanks!Big%20Grin.gif

how very sad for this company that it has drawn (earned?) this much ridicule and fear.

You reap what you sow

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

You reap what you sow

So far they have reaped a very successful franchise that's allowed them to pony up the sort of money that companies in this business for years wouldn't risk.

(The other side of the glass half empty)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I cannot wait to see FSX Stream Launched. It is going be hilarious when all the newbies show up on this forum looking for help getting it to run properly and see their reactions when they get the replies. Well first of all you need to dump that high end Alienware PC you've got and go build your own. You're going to need an i7 4970K to start and don't forget to turn hyper threading off! What? you have a Radeon Card? No that won't do you'll have to go get yourself a GTX 780ti. Oh, what? it doesn't look like the videos on YouTube. Yea your going to need at least $1000 worth of Addons before it will even start to look like that:-) Oh you have to move all those sliders to the left and remove all the graphical details to get over 30fps. And don't forget to go study so you can become an expert overclocker. And as a bonus to Enjoying FSX you get to be on the Futuremark 3DMark06 Hall of fame! Oh and by the way make sure its not installed on the C Drive. Best to go get yourself a dedicated SSD and don't put anything else on it:-) 

It's going to be flippin hilarious.

So far they have reaped a very successful franchise that's allowed them to pony up the sort of money that companies in this business for years wouldn't risk.

Yes they have, I agree. And will it effect us ?  Probably not. Unless of course in the future all 3rd party addons are forced to go through there alleged  quality control and  money making machine. That is pure speculation, lets be clear about that. Next year, we will know more. And more about the license they have secured and how it effects us in the long term. If it does at all.

Quality control is there Achilles Heel, if they could turn that around.....and as some of us strive for the best quality available, I am sure we would cuddle up to them.

Wonder how many simmers deleted ImagineSim KDEN  when Flight Beam released  there version ? I did. No different to Railworks.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.