Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

Well after only reading a few of these post Prepar3d is looking REALLY good right about now

Rich Sennett

I really hope they make good use of the Flight codebase as it had so much more potential than what we were able to achieve before it was shutdown. The tools alone are like night and day in terms of usability compared to the ones in FSX. All it needs is some AI\ATC, jets and a little more content and I think the majority of people playing FS would seriously consider switching.

I have to agree with stonelance 100%. Most of you "serious simmers" are probable not aware of the huge contribution in programing tools stonelance has developed in his "spare" time to keep MS Flight afloat since the shut down.  I don't think the code that was developed for Flight was allowed to really do what was intended. There was so much more.

Steve

I don't know anything about this company, but I know that JV at Orbx (who ought to know) has said that it would take millions of dollars and years of work to get to where P3D is today with the FSX engine. I wouldn't look for anything more than a simple flight sim/shooter game out of this. Maybe something like Euro Truck Simulator (which itself is like Air Hauler or FSeconomy). That's the most that can be done with the FSX engine on a low budget.

In the meantime, our hobby gets dragged down to the lowest common denominator.

That's funny, I tend to think of those users that look down on anything other than PMDG type tubeliners and programming the FMC as the least common denominator, LOL.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I would be thrilled with a new version of Flight with existing features, the whole world and an SDK so 3rd parties can develop for it. Guess we'll wait and see what this brings if anything.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Maybe I'm just not into getting wound up in speculation and supposition...so to me, it's more than exists today.  As another poster said, if it exposes FSX and flight simulation to more people, that can only be good.   It may drive innovation in other areas and may create a bigger market for simulations like P3D, which may drive better and more available add on content from 3rd parties who can also market to the masses on Steam.

I think too many people on Avsim get so busy making the perfect the enemy of the good that nothing ever pleases this community. 

I'll wait and see what happens, and if it's just an arcade game like MS Flight, then nothing ventured and nothing gained. 

Besides FSX, I also spend a lot of time playing Railworks.

Recently Dovetail announced that they are planning to update Railworks with the Unreal Engine 4.

http://www.engine-driver.com/article/show/4644/dovetail-games-begins-work-on-next-generation-train-simulator

What if they have similar plans for FSX - that would be good right?

Would Unreal Engine 4 be capable of rendering the entire world? For a train or fishing simulator that's definitely good, but I don't think it would be possible for a flight simulator, at least one like FSX.

Bad move here. It will drop a notch in its realism in the next incarnations and you'll be charged a ridiculous amount for poor quality add-ons.

Agreed.

If anyone from EA (even past executives) is involved, it will be a disaster.  EA has consistently demonstrated contempt for their customer base.

Agreed x 2...

I have to agree with stonelance 100%. Most of you "serious simmers" are probable not aware of the huge contribution in programing tools stonelance has developed in his "spare" time to keep MS Flight afloat since the shut down. I don't think the code that was developed for Flight was allowed to really do what was intended. There was so much more.

Steve

Like what?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Would Unreal Engine 4 be capable of rendering the entire world? For a train or fishing simulator that's definitely good, but I don't think it would be possible for a flight simulator, at least one like FSX.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the ability to simulate a spherical world, or just being able to handle an entire world in general. People seem to forget that FSX does not render the terrain and scenery objects in England when you are in, say, Florida. That logic is a must for any game with a large "map." Having worked with the Unreal Engine 4, I must say that it is an incredible piece of technology. I'm not so sure that it would be suitable for a spherical world, but the rendering abilities are certainly amazing.

Brandon Filer

Well, at least I can load the stuff I've bought already and run FSX without Steam...  Or P3D, which is my new toy.  Or go back to DCS, which IMO has more realism but a very small world.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the ability to simulate a spherical world, or just being able to handle an entire world in general. People seem to forget that FSX does not render the terrain and scenery objects in England when you are in, say, Florida. That logic is a must for any game with a large "map." Having worked with the Unreal Engine 4, I must say that it is an incredible piece of technology. I'm not so sure that it would be suitable for a spherical world, but the rendering abilities are certainly amazing.

Rendering a spherical world (the map size is huge) and being able to load and unload parts of the world efficiently as you fly into new areas.

Bought, rebranded, no development, sold... IMO as simple as that.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Recently Dovetail announced that they are planning to update Railworks with the Unreal Engine 4.

http://www.engine-driver.com/article/show/4644/dovetail-games-begins-work-on-next-generation-train-simulator

Unreal engine is awesome but been in the works for like 10 years now - loved the Unreal FPS series amazing for its time

Rich Sennett

Them using Unreal Engine for a simulator is laughable. Unreal Engine is a FPS Development kit..Not for a real world simulator heavily leaning on real world physics, gravity, thrust to weight ratios etc.   They went with Unreal Engine 4 because it looks pretty and nothing more.  

For a simulator to be a simulator it needs to be built on its own custom engine from scratch.. Their new Unreal Engine simulator will be nothing but a JJ Abramaminized version of what you have now. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors