Sign in to follow this  
SpoonerFLIGHT

XP10 and FSX Coming to Steam!

You can do what you like, guys.  I will not be placing anything further that uses Steam on my computer.  Steam wanted me to re-purchase a game I purchased from Game Stop (Sniper: Ghost Recon) new in-box and wouldn't let me run it.  They also lost my registration to Skyrim and I can never get back into that game even though I own it and have sent them a photo of me holding the box of DVD's and a close-up of the reg # for the disks.

Regarding memory, regardless of how much RAM you have, it depends on where that memory is being addressed that affects FSX.  50Mb for an idle application?

I've left the world of FSX for P3D and it matters not to me.

You can do what you like, guys.  I will not be placing anything further that uses Steam on my computer.  Steam wanted me to re-purchase a game I purchased from Game Stop (Sniper: Ghost Recon) new in-box and wouldn't let me run it.  They also lost my registration to Skyrim and I can never get back into that game even though I own it and have sent them a photo of me holding the box of DVD's and a close-up of the reg # for the disks.

Regarding memory, regardless of how much RAM you have, it depends on where that memory is being addressed that affects FSX.  50Mb for an idle application?

That's completely fine. Each person has their own opinions. We're (at least I am) trying to understand your argument.

If I recall correctly, Ghost Recon is a Ubisoft game. You were trying to activate it on Steam? That won't work. You can't activate Ubisoft games on Steam. You can, though, activate it on Uplay.

How did you lose your registration to Skyrim? You bought a disc copy of it? You can activate your key on Steam and get it from there. If you bough it from Steam, then it should still be in your library. Games never expire from your library.

50MB is not bad at all for an idle program. I also have Skype idling and it's using 145MB.

Edited by linux731

That's completely fine. Each person has their own opinions. We're (at least I am) trying to understand your argument.

If I recall correctly, Ghost Recon is a Ubisoft game. You were trying to activate it on Steam? That won't work. You can't activate Ubisoft games on Steam. You can, though, activate it on Uplay.

How did you lose your registration to Skyrim? You bought a disc copy of it? You can activate your key on Steam and get it from there. If you bough it from Steam, then it should still be in your library. Games never expire from your library.

50MB is not bad at all for an idle program. I also have Skype idling and it's using 145MB.

Apologies, typo, "Sniper:  Ghost Warrior".

Funny, I asked Steam the same thing -

"umm, how is my registration lost?" 

"Our servers went down and we had to do a complete reinstall.  Please send a picture of the disc." 

"OK, here's the picture of the disc, the reg code on the inside of the manual, and me holding the box"

<insert sound of crickets> 2 weeks pass...

"Here is the requested picture again.  Please reinstate my registration."

"Unfortunately, we cannot reinstate your registration.  That CD key is in use by someone else."

"Really?  I bought the game new and the registration is on your servers.  Attached, please see a scan of the original receipt for $64.99.  How is it in use by someone else?"

"Due to the recent loss of information on our servers, we cannot verify your claim.  Therefore, it is not possible to reinstate that serial number to you."

"You have photos of the box and of me holding the DVDs, photos of the registration number, and a scan of the receipt.  Please explain why you cannot rectify this issue and reinstate the serial number to me."

"That serial number is registered to another user.  Your case is closed."

NOW do you see why I despise Steam?  Evidently, their servers were hacked and my info ended up being used by someone else.  NEVER AGAIN.

"Our servers went down and we had to do a complete reinstall.  Please send a picture of the disc." 

"OK, here's the picture of the disc, the reg code on the inside of the manual, and me holding the box"

"Unfortunately, we cannot reinstate your registration.  That CD key is in use by someone else."

"Really?  I bought the game new and the registration is on your servers.  Attached, please see a scan of the original receipt for $64.99.  How is it in use by someone else?"

"Due to the recent loss of information on our servers, we cannot verify your claim.  Therefore, it is not possible to reinstate that serial number to you."

"You have photos of the box and of me holding the DVDs, photos of the registration number, and a scan of the receipt.  Please explain why you cannot rectify this issue and reinstate the serial number to me."

NOW do you see why I despise Steam?  Evidently, their servers were hacked and my info ended up being used by someone else.  NEVER AGAIN.

Huh.

How long ago was this? I don't recall Steam ever actually being hacked. Are you sure you didn't actually activate the game correctly?

If these go on steam never expect to pay at good prices EVER again ,In my opinion steam is the biggest ripoff out there

Most of the stuff they have is either stuff you've never heard off or good stuff that rarely or never goes below rrp for example Football manager 2014 Currently on sale in steam is £34.99 down from £39.99

You are able to buy this in many retail shops for £19.99 or less and on line for around the same price.£19.99

So with steam you are going to be looking at £60-70 for Xplane 10 and FSX around £60

Not a good thing in my opinion

Football manager 2014 was about £8.79 for at least a month leading up to the World Cup

Huh.

How long ago was this? I don't recall Steam ever actually being hacked. Are you sure you didn't actually activate the game correctly?

Two years - I think so.  It was right after I purchased The Shivering Isles add-on.  Maybe 3 years now. Here's my history on that game - bought it, played it using Steam for about 6 months, finished it.  Bought another add-on (DLC) through Steam, registered it, and then played that through.  Picked up The Shivering Isles from Micro Center and when I installed it, Steam displayed a menu that I had to have the original game to install the add-on.  The original game was on my user account the previous week, but now my entire user account was blank.  That's when the above email exchange went down.

I had used Steam for 3 or 4 games before that, it wasn't something new.  I don't care for UPlay either, but Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell:Blacklist, and all 5 Assassin's Creed are all on my UPlay account.

Two years - I think so.  It was right after I purchased The Shivering Isles add-on. 

Ah, so this isn't Skyrim you're talking about. This is Oblivion. 

I don't believe Oblivion was a Steam title(Meaning you need to have Steam regardless of where you purchased the game), therefore, buying the DLC on disc then trying to activate it on a Steam copy would not work. So... it's not really Steam's fault.

Edited by linux731

Uplay requires 190MB idle versus Steams 40MB idle.

Honestly your story seems fishy. IT seems like you got robbed at your physical distributor. If you bought the physical copy it has nothing to do with Steam. Just because the same game is offered on Steam and you buy a physical copy it doesn't necessarily transfer over to Steam unless it's stated. I just checked Sniper GW and don't see that advertised on the physical game.

Steam is an invasive resource hog.

Completely untrue. Steam is neither invasive or demanding on resources.

Brandon Filer

Completely untrue. Steam is neither invasive or demanding on resources.

You have a right to your opinion.

Uplay requires 190MB idle versus Steams 40MB idle.

Honestly your story seems fishy. IT seems like you got robbed at your physical distributor. If you bought the physical copy it has nothing to do with Steam. Just because the same game is offered on Steam and you buy a physical copy it doesn't necessarily transfer over to Steam unless it's stated. I just checked Sniper GW and don't see that advertised on the physical game.

You can think what you will.  The box is on the shelf, and the game is not playable.  The game must be played through Steam.  I did, however, tell you incorrectly.  It was Oblivion.  The DLC was Knights of the Nine, and this required Steam.  This is where the Steam registration of the original game is required.  Skyrim had a workaround so that Steam was not necessary.  It is Oblivion that I cannot play.

Ah, so this isn't Skyrim you're talking about. This is Oblivion. 

I don't believe Oblivion was a Steam title(Meaning you need to have Steam regardless of where you purchased the game), therefore, buying the DLC on disc then trying to activate it on a Steam copy would not work. So... it's not really Steam's fault.

You're right.  I corrected my post before seeing yours.  You are correct.  Howwever, I'm now locked out of Oblivion by Steam.

The game must be played through Steam.  I did, however, tell you incorrectly.  It was Oblivion.  The DLC was Knights of the Nine, and this required Steam.  This is where the Steam registration of the original game is required.  Skyrim had a workaround so that Steam was not necessary.  It is Oblivion that I cannot play.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that's true. Oblivion came out in 2006, before Steam had its own version of DRM. 

I'm not sure how/why you bought Knights of the Nine separately. If you had the game on Steam, then you already have the Game of they Year Edition that includes Knights of the Nine.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that's true. Oblivion came out in 2006, before Steam had its own version of DRM. 

I'm not sure how/why you bought Knights of the Nine separately. If you had the game on Steam, then you already have the Game of they Year Edition that includes Knights of the Nine.

Just caught that once I checked my account, Steam only sold the GOTY Edition which included all DLCs. I think there maybe some confusion on how Steam works.

What do you mean?

Kattz seems to think that if he buys a game from the store that the Cd-key can also be used on Steam. Steam has their own CD-keys that they must get from the publisher/developer and their is a finite amount they have.

Not true. Nights of the Nine came out in 2009 on Steam. I bought Oblivion in 2008; it had been out a while.

Look, people, I gave you my personal opinion. If you like Steam, that's fine with me. I've been gaming starting with Origin back in 91. I've been building PCs as long. I'm not here to discount what you think or to sway your opinion to something else. If you like a Steam based FSX, who am I to say you're wrong? I just won't buy it. To each their own.

My experience with Steam really did happen as I said. Now, I'm finished. Please talk about it as you wish. Your opinions are your own. Me, I have a computer to rebuild.