Sign in to follow this  
Outrage

Absence of callouts in Southwest paint for the 800

Hey.

I've had the 737 800/900 for awhile and it's by far one of the best planes in my hanger. My dad is also a pilot for Southwest, so we of course got the Southwest repaint. 

Upon approach, we were confused to not hear the 2,500, 1,000, 500, etc.. callouts. He says that all the 737s operated by Southwest have these callouts. 

So why does American or Delta have these callouts and Southwest doesn't?

-Mac

So why does American or Delta have these callouts and Southwest doesn't?

It conflicts with the data PMDG had at release, I guess.

They can easily be enabled via the PMDG Setup > menus, as instructed by the intro manual.  These settings will be saved automatically.

Kyle Rodgers

Do they? I could have sworn I saw videos on YouTube a while ago where the non-flying pilot made the callouts manually, but that was years ago, so possible that something changed?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Southwest Airlines does not use call outs. Pilot not flying makes the announcements. I fly nothing but Southwest in the 737 and turn on the announcements since, unless I'm sharing the cockpit, in which case I turn them off, I wouldn't have the PNF to call them out.

Will

Southwest Airlines does not use call outs. Pilot not flying makes the announcements. I fly nothing but Southwest in the 737 and turn on the announcements since, unless I'm sharing the cockpit, in which case I turn them off, I wouldn't have the PNF to call them out.

Will

Okay, that's what I thought.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Makes sense too, I heard that SWA policy is to disallow A/T on approach. The reason is to ensure PF is in the "loop" by having hands-on the throttles and not relying on automatics. Having PNF make the callouts keeps him/her in the loop as well. Interesting.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have sat in the jumpseat on numerous SWA flights both in the NG's and classics and have noticed this as well.  The PNF makes these callouts based upon the radio altimeter I believe.  Really different as every other airline that operate 737's uses the mechanical voice for these call outs including mine.   

As Mac said, his father is a pilot for SW and I would guess that he knows what he is talking about.

FWIW here is a cockpit video of a SW landing, where the callouts can be heard loud and clear:

Sadly this isn't Southwest as they don't fly to Rome nor have I seen a Ryan air in the states.

Its all in the comments on youtube.

Sean Green

Does SW have full CATIII autoland capacity?

No.  That's why they have the HUD, actually:

Hand flown CAT-III approaches.  Cuts down on the cost to certify the crews, instead of maintain an autopilot to the standards/checks required of autoland.

Also: It's just autoland.  CAT-III is only incidental to the concept.  It's like saying "Highway Cruise Control."  Sure, 99% of the time you're using cruise control is on a highway, but it can technically be used elsewhere.

Kyle Rodgers

It's possible that at the time the configuration was provided to PMDG Southwest did not have the callouts and have since started using them and the livery has not been updated.  

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Yes southwest possible has updated their software/pin configuration to enable the callouts. Just like united Airlines, pmdg has the side/side display configuration but apparently United is now converting them to full pfd ND configuration.

but apparently United is now converting them to full pfd ND configuration.

Yes...thankfully. The side-by-side is so incredibly hideous...

Kyle Rodgers