Sign in to follow this  
Outrage

Absence of callouts in Southwest paint for the 800

Yes...thankfully. The side-by-side is so incredibly hideous...

It's impressive looking with all of its complexity. Several times I have started out at the gate with it but by the time if have reached the runway I have switched to more conventional layout.

Yes, United does have different cockpit setups for different planes. The newer ones have full PFD and ND configurations. I thought GPWS callouts were  to be turned on or off at pilots discretion?

Yes, United does have different cockpit setups for different planes. The newer ones have full PFD and ND configurations. I thought GPWS callouts were to be turned on or off at pilots discretion?

That's not controlled by the pilot. That's something that's decided from on high.

Matt Cee

It's possible that at the time the configuration was provided to PMDG Southwest did not have the callouts and have since started using them and the livery has not been updated.  

Sure. That's why I said unless things have changed, I didn't remember them using them. If they changed anything, I obviously wasn't aware of it.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Yes...thankfully. The side-by-side is so incredibly hideous...

Funny you say that - I actually prefer the efis/map layout. I think my virtual scan is stuck on the '6-pack' setting.

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

That's kinda dated though.. They have ditched the side by side, and use the over/under now.

Most all videos I've seen of their landings had the PNF doing the callouts.

But...

I have seen one video of a SWA 737 that did have the callouts from the plane. But it was a 300,

and I think a fluke of sorts.. That's the only one I've ever seen where the PNF wasn't doing it.

Also, they only call out 50, 30, and 10 when landing. They skip 40 and 20 at SWA..

I could tell the video above wasn't SWA without even watching.. They use the analog backups, not the integrated backup..  They also don't use the range rings on the ND.

I use the 2,500, 1,000, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100, 50,30,10 callouts on mine being as I

have no PNF to do it..  :/

I have seen one video of a SWA 737 that did have the callouts from the plane. But it was a 300,

and I think a fluke of sorts.. That's the only one I've ever seen where the PNF wasn't doing it.

Also, they only call out 50, 30, and 10 when landing. They skip 40 and 20 at SWA..

It probably wasn't a fluke, judging by the link that Gabe posted, the changes are being made to both the NG series and the -300.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.