Sign in to follow this  
777cap

PMDG 777/ Taxiing The Beast

I am going to keep this short captains, but i just wanted to ask if anyone on the forums are interested to get a pdf on how to taxi the T7(pmdg),this will be the only pdf required for proper knowledge on the taxiing of the aircraft like a pro.if anyone is interested please do reply as i am in the process of making one for my friend.(i will post it here on the forumcs if i can get at least 25 members to give me a +1)

do let me know if you are interested on any other technical information on the aircraft, i will be pleased to help.

thank you,

H.Mahesh :P

surrrrrrreeee

ZORAN

I would love to get a copy. I'll read anything T7 related I can get my hands on if there's someone willing to write it.

My tip is to keep your speed under 10 knots when turning, and do incremental rudders.

Harry Sung

captains,

all right, then i shall create the document. that said i will also have to tell you it will take some time as i have a full time job,so i hope you can bear with me.Let me just describe what the document will cover:

1)Introduction

2)Principal dimensions(only the 777-200lr)

3)Turning radius/what it means and why it is important to have a good knowledge about it

4)Visual aids(i may incorporate this with the technique to taxi itself)

5)Weight-to-Thrust requirement(based on practical experiments in the sim)

^HOW TO TAXI^

6)Cockpit awareness 

7)Lets start taxiing(From gate-to-runway)

8)Executing Turns(90o,180o)

9)Maintaing speed without overworking the Engines

i guess that will be it,thats as much as i can remember over the top of my head.If there is anything else you wont to know or are interested in let me know.

Warm Regards

H.Mahesh

Thank you for the offer to take the time creating this. Sounds like this will be very helpful

and very much appreciated from me.

Thank you in advance.

It's all about practise and the right viewpoint :D 

+1 for the PDF 

Rgds, PC

captains,

before i went further and tried to make the entire document i would like to give a small preview of the document.tell me what you think of it and let me know if there is anything else you would like to see(images,chapter[write these in bold please]),you will notice pictures and info. are from fcoms,boeings official texts and some other inputs.

thank you....

CONTENT:

1.   INTRODUCTION

2.   PRINCIPAL DIMENSIONS

3.   TURNING RADIUS

4.   VISIBILITY FROM THE FLIGHT DECK

5.   WEIGHT TO THRUST REQUIREMENT(FOR FLIGHT SIMULATOR X ONLY)

HOW TO TAXI

6.   COCKPIT AWARNESS

7.   ENGINE START-UP AND READY TO TAXI.

8.   LETS START TAXIING

9.   EXECUTING TURNS

10.                   MAINTAING SPEED WITHOUT OVERWORKING THE ENGINES

2.PRINCIPAL DIMENSIONS(only the 777-200lr):

Fuselage width:

6.2 m

Fuselage height:

8.39 m

Fuselage length:

62.94 m

Cabin length:

48.36 m

Cabin width:

5.82 m

Distance from the nose to tail cone:206ft

Distance from the nose landing gear to the main landing gear:84ft and 11inches

Height from the ground to the tail tip:61ft and 1 inch

Wingspan: 212 and 7 inches

Width between the main landing  gears:36 feet(imp***)

Distance between nose to nose landing gear:approx.12 feet(imp***)

Height from the ground to the cockpit: 15.6-16 feet(approx)[imp***]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 777 main landing gear consists of two main struts, each strut with six wheels. The steering system incorporates aft axle steering of the main landing gear in addition to the nose gear steering. The aft axle steering system is hydraulically actuated and programmed to provide steering ratios proportionate to the nose gear steering angles. During takeoff and landing, the aft axle steering system is centered, mechanically locked, and depressurized, this is why the airplane seems less responsive when the speed increases on ground.

The principal dimensions of  a plane decide the maneuverability of  the aircraft and are some figures you need to know so that you can master the aircraft, and gain the best performance out of it.

***i have added 3 stars to these figures as they form the basis for taxiing in FSX.more about this later...

3.TURNING RADIUS:

Figure1: (given below):this diagram basically shows us three radius.

R1 :IS THE TURNING RADIUS OF THE NOSE LANDING GEAR:ie:111.8ft

R2: is the turning radius of the wing tip:ie:151.9ft

R3: is the radius of the tail:ie:129.4ft

*note that the steering angle in the figure given below is 70o.the minimum width of the pavement for 180o turn is: “157.4ft”,if you try to make a such a turn on a runway less than the given width you will end up outside the runway.

Always maintain constant thrust while making a turn, preferably at 5knts-10knts, as the plane is most responsive at these speeds(there are factors that can affect manoverability ,but at the moment we are not taking them into consideration)

Refer to the figure given directly above to get a fair idea of the nose and main landing gear position and the arc they form while making turns.given below is a table for the angle(of turn) to radius of the nose,main gear(outer and inner),wing and tail tip.

I haven’t mentioned the outer and main gear in the fig.1 ,just visualize the center of gravity in the middle of the wing,which cause the turning moment about that point.

Figure 1

4.VISIBILITY FROM THE FLIGHT DECK:

The diagram given above is self-explanatory.

The height from the ground is 18ft(5.5m)[height of pilot+eye height{1ft}] ,distance from the cockpit to the nose landing  gear is approx. 12ft.

edit:pictures have not come up in the post,i dont know what the reason is maybe someone could tell me.