Sign in to follow this  
777cap

PMDG 777/ Taxiing The Beast

Not to be a total downer, but you all realize all of this (and more) is already contained in the FCTM, right?

Those manuals...pesky things...

Kyle Rodgers

Not to be a total downer, but you all realize all of this (and more) is already contained in the FCTM, right?

+1  

Guy's everything you need is in the FCTM & FCOM if you actually attempt to read it.  Regarding FSX limitations, you really just have to adapt the procedures to fit your hardware (pedals)  & rubbish default friction model)

Taxi . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.2

Taxi General . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.2

Flight Deck Perspective. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.4

Thrust Use . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.5

Backing with Reverse Thrust . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.5

Taxi Speed and Braking . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.5

Antiskid Inoperative . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.6

Tiller/Rudder Pedal Steering . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.6

Turning Radius and Gear Tracking . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.7

Visual Cues and Techniques for Turning while Taxiing . . . . . . . . 2.8

Turns of 180 Degrees . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.8

180 Degree (Pivot) Turns in Less than 147.6 feet / 45 m . . . . . . . 2.12

Taxi - Adverse Weather . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.14

Engine Out Taxi . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.15

Rob Prest

Well, FCTM doesn't offer too much information. There are only 13 pages with huge font text and bunch of images. If OP can provide extensive taxi manual, I will take a look for sure.

Well, FCTM doesn't offer too much information. There are only 13 pages with huge font text and bunch of images. If OP can provide extensive taxi manual, I will take a look for sure.

I don't see why you'd need more than what's in the FCTM, but if you need it, then you need it, I guess...

Kyle Rodgers

FCTM doesn't offer too much information.

You must be looking at a completely different document to me? How can you say the FCTM provided by the manufacturer of the aircraft 'doesn't offer too much information'  That's pretty funny :) 

Edit - Huge font? you must have something different. I have never checked the PMDG docs, I though they are the same as the Boeing FCTM/FCOM?

Rob Prest

yep .... indeed. :mellow:

You must be looking at a completely different document to me? How can you say the FCTM provided by the manufacturer of the aircraft 'doesn't offer too much information'  That's pretty funny :) 

Edit - Huge font? you must have something different. I have never checked the PMDG docs, I though they are the same as the Boeing FCTM/FCOM?

I do not know, I use PMDG provided FCTM. If I exclude 777-300 operations I do not need (taxi cams, etc), big images, there are just over 8 pages of plain text written in big font at half letter paper.

Is that enough? Is that all that can be said about 777 taxi? Can I go and taxi actual 777 after I read FCTM section about taxiing the aircraft?

@Kyle: There are many (official) documents about routes, routing, airspaces... yet you decided to make additional tutorial videos. Why is that?

Kyle, such a Debbie downer.....  :rolleyes:

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Well...Captains...i think i said before that the information is from FCOMS,FCTM, AND other sources.It is my effort to put up a document which combines what-ever-is-necessary from these vast documents and present it in a different way,that doesnt mean the images in the document will be remarkably different from the ones PMDG has provided..no..those are standard diagrams nor will the text be superbly different.Frankly i feel a bit let down...my effort wasn't to make a manual which can be compared to a boeing FCOM, my aim was/is to provide those who want to gain information fast and easily without have to scroll through a 1020 pages to find what they want,my aim was to provide standard information which is necessary and forms the basis for aviation before you moved onto Flight Sim environment.if you look closely at the chapters in the content you may see it as a mirror reflection to what the FCOMS,FCTMS have to provide,but these chapters are from personal experience in the simulator trying to match up with the figures in those manuals.I am asking absolutely nothing in return just a good thought.This is for those who want to know how those real world figures compare to the ones obtained in fsx.There is bound to be a difference.This is my experience,if you will.

I hope this answers all your questions or doudts or even skepticism.I dont mean to be rude but if anyone has suggestions that are constructive i will be appreciative of them

warm regards

there are just over 8 pages of plain text written in big font at half letter paper.

Ok, well we are looking at something different. Try getting hold of the actual Boeing FCTM, its not hard.

@777cap - Well it is very nice of you to put everything together, however you don't need to scroll through 2000 pages, it should be near the start of the FCTM.  I am curios about what docs PMDG gave you all, have never looked at those docs and my sim PC is in another country.  

The Boeing FCTM is very detailed, it covers everything as you would expect from a training manual designed by the people who built the machine lol :)

Rob Prest

Well...Captains...i think i said before that the information is from FCOMS,FCTM, AND other sources.It is my effort to put up a document which combines what-ever-is-necessary from these vast documents and present it in a different way,that doesnt mean the images in the document will be remarkably different from the ones PMDG has provided..no..those are standard diagrams nor will the text be superbly different.Frankly i feel a bit let down...my effort wasn't to make a manual which can be compared to a boeing FCOM, my aim was/is to provide those who want to gain information fast and easily without have to scroll through a 1020 pages to find what they want,my aim was to provide standard information which is necessary and forms the basis for aviation before you moved onto Flight Sim environment.if you look closely at the chapters in the content you may see it as a mirror reflection to what the FCOMS,FCTMS have to provide,but these chapters are from personal experience in the simulator trying to match up with the figures in those manuals.I am asking absolutely nothing in return just a good thought.This is for those who want to know how those real world figures compare to the ones obtained in fsx.There is bound to be a difference.This is my experience,if you will.

I hope this answers all your questions or doudts or even skepticism.I dont mean to be rude but if anyone has suggestions that are constructive i will be appreciative of them

warm regards

So anotherwords, you are wanting to provide a "Cliff's Notes" version...I have no problem with that.  I guess it all depends on how in-depth you want to get with the aircraft.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Ok, well we are looking at something different. Try getting hold of the actual Boeing FTCM, its not hard.

It's illegal.

warm regards

So anotherwords, you are wanting to provide a "Cliff's Notes" version...I have no problem with that.  I guess it all depends on how in-depth you want to get with the aircraft.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It's illegal.

No its not... Distributing it is illegal. Stop being silly, I know for sure you have looked at FCOM's online before...

Rob Prest

the air seems murky...let me clear it.

all i intend to do with this document is clearly put across information already given in those FCOMs FCTMs but also give you information of the aircrafts behaviour in FSX( i am pretty sure this isnt covered in those books) :P , you might even say it is the same(that doesnt matter),you cant change mathematical formulae coined ages ago still being used today,you cant change the value of pi to suit it to your liking can you?the answer is simple..no. those are standard formulae and this is standard information which is irreplaceable. But i feel the info.in this document is to do with a single aspect in flight, thats all..nothing more therefore it contains necessary information in a way which i feel shall help those who want to learn only about taxiing the aircraft,i plan on posting pictures from the sim to put forward my exp. and how it is in the sim.the fcoms provided to us are fcoms airlines would give there pilots,this document shall have the same information but the stuff written later CAN actually be applied in your simulator.I hope i make myself clear.AGAIN I REPEAT if you have any constructive criticism that will make this document better,any pictures that you think fits the description then post it.

warm regards