...... on a 4.8GHz 4770k and an R9 290 locked at 30FPS.  Urban areas and complex planes are another story, but still flyable.  

How can you do that 4.8G....... you must be the first, most people cannot get a 4770k past 4.5G at all, unless your overvolting and overheating

I have a 4790K and I will not do 24/7 higher than 4.7G for the heat and volts get too high. at 4.7G; Vcore=1.29, HT on, 30 idle 74+ load

I own a SEIKI 39" as well, amazing definition yet similar real estate.

allen

No single card in existence can push 4k resolution succesfully at a decent frame rate expereience. Supporting the resoltion is one thing, actually having the horespower grunt to push that many pixels is another thing entirely.

A 660 is certainly not going to cut it.

What qualifies you to say that?

Dr. J.A. L., PhD

TechGuy,

Would you mind running down the pros and cons of this monitor as it applies to FSX/P3D? I'm seeing this Seiki being sold everywhere at really good prices and am thinking of grabbing one.  

Samsung has one for a couple hundred more and wonder if it's worth the extra bucks. Thanks much either way for your info.  

The pros are pretty simple: it's 4K and it's cheap.  It doesn't have anything else going for it really.  It's HDMI 1.4 so it's limited to 30Hz at 4K resolution, the image quality out of the box is very poor due to bad factory calibration settings so you definitely have to change the settings to find something that looks good to you.  For the price though, you can't really go wrong.  I mean, $300 or so is nothing in this hobby.  

How can you do that 4.8G....... you must be the first, most people cannot get a 4770k past 4.5G at all, unless your overvolting and overheating

I have a 4790K and I will not do 24/7 higher than 4.7G for the heat and volts get too high. at 4.7G; Vcore=1.29, HT on, 30 idle 74+ load

I own a SEIKI 39" as well, amazing definition yet similar real estate.

allen

The processor has been de-lidded and Liquid Metal Pro thermal compound has been applied.  The IHS has been lapped and I use custom water cooling.  I also have a very nice motherboard (Asus Maximus Formula VI).  I can run @ 4.9GHz but the voltage requirement is too high for my tastes.  Also I do not enable HT since it provides no real performance benefit for flight sim (other than texture loading) and it causes power requirements to increase while also inhibiting maximum clockspeed.  You'll find almost every reviewer out there leaves HT on, and that's fine for most apps but in FSX/P3D clockspeed is king so I disable it.  

The pros are pretty simple: it's 4K and it's cheap.  It doesn't have anything else going for it really.  It's HDMI 1.4 so it's limited to 30Hz at 4K resolution, the image quality out of the box is very poor due to bad factory calibration settings so you definitely have to change the settings to find something that looks good to you.  For the price though, you can't really go wrong.  I mean, $300 or so is nothing in this hobby.  

The processor has been de-lidded and Liquid Metal Pro thermal compound has been applied.  The IHS has been lapped and I use custom water cooling.  I also have a very nice motherboard (Asus Maximus Formula VI).  I can run @ 4.9GHz but the voltage requirement is too high for my tastes.  Also I do not enable HT since it provides no real performance benefit for flight sim (other than texture loading) and it causes power requirements to increase while also inhibiting maximum clockspeed.  You'll find almost every reviewer out there leaves HT on, and that's fine for most apps but in FSX/P3D clockspeed is king so I disable it.  

I enable HT at 4.7G because it only increases  temps by 7 degrees and does not require much more volts

Without it I find the system is restrained in P3DV23, I was using an AM of 254  = 7/8 threads but now with 2.3 I leave that up to P3D

I could run 4.8GHz with HT 24/7 but they say 1.36 Vcore would limit the life of my CPU whereas 1.3 is considered max for natural life expectancy (hopefully 4 to 5 years)

I also have C-States enabled

Concerning the SEIKI... get the firmware update at their site.

allen

The pros are pretty simple: it's 4K and it's cheap. It doesn't have anything else going for it really. It's HDMI 1.4 so it's limited to 30Hz at 4K resolution, the image quality out of the box is very poor due to bad factory calibration settings so you definitely have to change the settings to find something that looks good to you. For the price though, you can't really go wrong. I mean, $300 or so is nothing in this hobby.

Great, thanks very much. Gonna go shopping... :BigGrin:  

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Which bit?

The 660 or the fact that 4k on a single GPU is not really doable (pretty much confirmed by the experiences above) those results are certainly not acceptable, and that's with a 780ti.

Sli will be essential for 4k adoption......or much more powerful single GPUs

What qualifications are required to voice an opinion here?

Which bit?

The 660 or the fact that 4k on a single GPU is not really doable (pretty much confirmed by the experiences above) those results are certainly not acceptable, and that's with a 780ti.

Sli will be essential for 4k adoption......or much more powerful single GPUs

What qualifications are required to voice an opinion here?

I'm not sure what you mean, I said that performance in GA aircraft like the A2A 172 is good (locked @ 30 FPS, matches screen refresh).  Depending upon your personal threshold for acceptable frame rate, some people would be perfectly fine flying just about any scenario with the settings I currently used (high-highest across the board).  If you want to fly around FSDT's JFK in a frame heavy aircraft you're going to get performance down into the teens, perhaps even lower if you head towards Manhattan and that's borderline for me, so that's where I leave it.  

Now if you're talking about your own system that's fine, but my experience is a bit different.  

4k pushing out more pixels than you will ever see anyways.

No.  If you have a small 4K tv and you sit 10' away from it, sure you're not going to see much difference over 1080P.  If you have a 4K monitor and you sit 2' away like I do, you better believe there's a difference, even over 1440P that I used previously.  

Hi Guys,

I just came across this thread as curiosity was getting the better of me this lunchtime.

I currently use an LG42 1080P TV as my main monitor which I love, My beloved is talking about reclaiming this TV for our bedroom (It's technically hers so I can't really argue lol) so I was looking to see what I could use as an alternative. FIrst I looked at 50 " and then started looking at 4K options. The cheapest I could find is around $650 CDN. I didn't really want to spend that much then after seeing this thread looked at Tigerdirect, the Seiki 39 " 4K is selling for $369.99 CDN

So I guess my question is how are you guys finding this as a display for FSX?

Would love to hear your feedback, I have a fairly beefy PC which should handle the higher resolution. One thought I run DX10 and currently my experience is silky smooth. Are there any issues with DX10 & 4K

Regards

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

My personal opinion is that if you fly with high quality payware aircraft and scenery you will be disappointed in the performance. The 30hz thing really bothers me too...seems like it will cause eyestrain and noticeable lagging/ghosting.

I've got a Titan and overclocked CPU driving a surround setup that is less resolution than 4K and at times the framerate is less than acceptable on P3Dv2 or FSX. I imagine the performance hit will be quite a bit more on 4K.

5760x1080 = 6.22 million pixels

3840x2160 = 8.29 million pixels

You need one helluva GPU + the fastest overclocked single threaded performance CPU you can afford. FSX and P3D get little if any benefit from SLI or crossfire.

I'd venture a guess should you fly and NGX out of KLAX or KJFK you will get a whopping 7-10 FPS at best. 

If you have to reduce your display settings a lot just to get decent performance then the benefit of 4K seems lost to me.

I will not even go into the implication this will have on VAS and OOM problems as that is self explanatory. 

Again just my opinion.

Would love to hear your feedback, I have a fairly beefy PC which should handle the higher resolution.

Richard if you still have that GTX780 get the latest driver and enable 4K DSR.

That will show you how your system will handle a real 4K monitor.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.