Sign in to follow this  
Busterbvi

FSX Sounds

Excellent, can you post a link here or PM me when the vid is ready ?  I suspect I will be your first customer !

Can I invite input from other members to let me know their opinion on P3D aircraft sounds.  Does it have the same sound cone as FSX ?

At the moment I don't have P3D so I can't say. But as far as I'm aware the sounds are pretty much the same as FSX.

This is Benoit's youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfGH2ejzFrQ

It illustrates an oversight by many a/c developers in that when you hear the engines start up they surge. Most developers use the numbers supplied by MS for the engine air files and one in particular table 1505 is completely wrong. DM when he developed the 10, BAC1-11 etc made no changes at all to the relevant air files. When Benoit made his sound pack he didn't change the air files either.

Having said that it's no easy task. It took me months to get the correct start-up curve so that the engines start properly. The other air files all had to be changed to match the engine limitations schedule. Even after all that it's still a compromise because of the way the sim works. In Dm's original model there was also a problem with the reverse thrust which I attended to. So my sound pack doesn't need special tweaking of the cfg file as the engines decelerate naturally.

I made and have made since hundreds of small modifications and additions to the panels making the flying more imersive and as accurate as possible.

Thanks for posting that vid of DM's VC10 with Benoits sounds, I note what you say about the startup surge but apart from that those sounds seem pretty much spot on to me and it underlines my point, in the video the sounds are superb, my VC10 has that soundpack and in FSX the sounds are not even close to the quality of that video, in any view. The strange thing is it says that it was shot in FSX !  Maybe my FSX settings are off on the sound sliders, what would you recommend as the optimal settings here ?  Can you post a screenie of your FSX sound settings ?

I am using HD sound from my GTX580 through HDMI into a Yamaha AVR in my home theater system.

I played around with FS9 and FSX sound cfg files over the weekend. In FSX cfg I commented out (//) ALL the lines under [sOUND] and copied in the FS9 cfg lines and saved. In replay, for the first few seconds it sounded great, then it changed noticeably, when I checked the cfg file again, FSX had re written the lines I commented out. I seems to me that there is something embedded deeper in the software that cant be changed.  A shame about that but my curiosity is satisfied !