Sign in to follow this  
Chrjs

Gigagyte OC Guru creating CTD in FSX and P3D - solution here

Hi,

first my ctd-story. I upgraded from a GTX 570 to a Gigabyte GTX 770 about 2 months ago. Evreything including "games" like XPlane or Arma3 ran stable and at highest levels of detail, but not FSX and P3D. Both always crashed - no matter what settings, addons, modules etc -, sometimes already after 2 minutes, but after 30 minutes at the latest. The Crash reports showed numerous dll-faults (among them ntdll and dinput8), but most of the times StackHash. I reinstalled FSX with no luck, testing my complete hardware (memory, CPU, GPU) showed no negative results. So i reinstalled the complete system and about 2 weeks later i had a fresh win7 64 install and a vanila FSX and P3D. High hopes, but devastating result - now we got BEX- faults, after disabling DEP APPCrash-CTDs. At that moment i just wanted to give up, end the hobby and just throw my stuff away.

But then the coincident, of course i had already seearched through hundreds of posts and threads about CTDs, but yesterday i was lucky and found a user, im not sure, it might be even in this forum, who had bought a gigabyte video card as well and had suffered from dinput-ctds. He was able to find the cuplrit:

Gigabyte OC Guru II

A small utility tool installed when using a gigabyte video card. It runs in the background and you can control the video cards OC. I assume, as an amateur, that it somehow blocks/uses some memory, that FSX and therefore P3D depends on and which can lead to a CTD. I deinstalled the program completely, i dont use it, and since then, FSX seems to be stable. Yesterday i was able to fly KLAX-KSFO-KDEN, about 3 hours of flight time. Today im running a long-time test with the 777 EDDF-SBGL, until now flawless.

So if you have a Gigabyte video card, Gigabyte OC Guru II running and suffering from StackHash, BEX or APPCrashes, try to disable or even deinstalling the Guru,because it is quite likely, that it is the cause of your problem and your desperation. It is definitely worth a try. I would assume, that there are even more programs/processes aroudn that can cause the well known and hard to trace CTDs mentioned above.

Good luck! Regards

chris

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

I totally agree and I removed it too. But I got instant crashes when I tried it so it was an easy solution for me. As far as it causing StackHash, Buffer Exception Overruns (BEX) or Application Crashes, that is still up for debate. It could be a contributing fact but believe you'll see a video card driver as the faulting module if the crash is caused by the Gigabyte OC Guru II.

Apologize for going a little off topic but just wanted to pass on a friendly reminder that we have changed our signature policy again and we are kindly asking everyone to please put their system specs and flight sim information in their respective "My Profile". More details can be found at the following link - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/436632-new-signature-rules or under the Forums tab above. Thanks for your cooperation and thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ok after numerous long and short flight i can say that i am 100% sure that my APPCrash, BEX and StackHash-CTDs were caused by the Oc Guru II. Since removing everthing, both FSX and P3D are completelly stable. And very strange, since a new system and sim install, my VAS is quite a bit lower, despite using the same configuration - strange sim-world....

Regards,
Chris Volle

since a new system and sim install, my VAS is quite a bit lower,

This happens because you have a new system and you think FSX can really fly with higher settings and higher Autogen settings and higher display driver settings and LOD_Radius set at 6.5 and Texture_Max_Load set at 2048 or 4096. These settings all consume VAS plus your computer system is also sharing those 4GB's of VAS with your FSX.

Thanks for the info on the OC Guru II. I never successfully got it to work either.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This happens because you have a new system and you think FSX can really fly with higher settings and higher Autogen settings and higher display driver settings and LOD_Radius set at 6.5 and Texture_Max_Load set at 2048 or 4096. These settings all consume VAS plus your computer system is also sharing those 4GB's of VAS with your FSX.

Thanks for the info on the OC Guru II. I never successfully got it to work either.

Best regards,

No, no, VAS is less now - i have more "space" until an OOM will happen (around 400mb). I know very well the factors that contribute to an OOM and this is why i'm surprised. I use the exact same settings, the only difference is my video card. FSX is very strange, you can get very different results even on a simliar setup....

Regards,
Chris Volle