Sign in to follow this  
voodoo101

Ground and sky textures - do I need them?

After a recent problem with a bit of software, I had to do a complete format and reinstall of my PC and FSX. I thought about taking the plunge and going for P3D, but after paying for the PMDG777 in FSX it kind of stopped me. Not that this is a problem, I have grown up with FSX, gone through the teething stage, learnt where to kick it to get it running right and when not to. Sort of like the car that has trouble to start, breaks down and looks a state, but is still part of the family and has it's own name.

Anyhow, I installed the basics, looked at the CFG and put in the basics, ready to start benchmarking and tweaking. I always benchmark with a set flight, in the default 737 with the same weather and it got me thinking. Do I need to load FSX with extra ground and weather textures, after all the fun for me is the flying, the setting up of the aircraft, planning where to go, to taxi to the runway and take off on my way to my destination. I haven't found an add-on yet that shows my house to fly over, Do I need to add extra stress to FSX and lower the frames whilst increasing the VAS.

I'm still on the fence so I though who better to ask the opinion, the people who fly quality aircraft on the PMDG forum.

For me, I'd like to think that the better the visuals, the greater the immersion. As I'll probably never experience the real thing I'd like to get immersed into the simulation as much as I possibly can. If the system impact is too big though, I'd rather not have the extra ground textures. After all, flying was fun as well back in FS98 ;)

Yannic

its all about what kind of experience you want... Some like scenery/weather add ons, some just prefer realistic planes, some prefer realistic way of flying (yoke, rudder etc...), THEN you get those who like all three together. To answer your question, its preferential. Buy FTX Global, REX4 or Active Sky Next and see if these are something you like it, but be careful, once you buy an addon, its addictive and before you know it you will have been drawn into the immersion :)

Blue skies :)

I already have all the add-ons to make it look nice, REX, FEX, UTX, GEX, Global and ASN, along with loads of add-on airports. I have been flying in FSX since 2006. I know what they look like and I agree that it looks nice.

I also know that it a preference thing, some people fly Cessna's low and slow, some fly the 777 fast and high.

I have just done a benchmark with the flight is FSMark, with UTX, overclocked to 4.4Ghz, with sliders right and my frames dropped by 20FPS on average, compared to standard FSX textures.

My question was to find out if anybody else runs with stock textures and find out if they get on ok with it. If anybody else ran with textures and then stopped, whether they found it odd or got used to it, or whether people found that it was not worth it in the end and added textures.