Sign in to follow this  
TrafficPilot

Prepar3D v2.2 I give up. Refund requested.

Now ye shall be stoned for heresy against thy all perfect and divine P3d. :)

I'm wondering about the install... Having to manually extract files could be a factor for sure.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I also had problems with free space on C drive. I modified user variables TEMP and TMP to point to a directory on different drive. After system restart, installation went fine.

I also had problems with free space on C drive. I modified user variables TEMP and TMP to point to a directory on different drive. After system restart, installation went fine.

Ah yes, I should have mention I had done that a long time ago (adjust Temp/Tmp location).  The problem with some installers is that if there isn't enough space available in the TEMP/TMP path location that they extract to (some installers don't report any errors), they just "complete" as if successful, but in reality there is only a "partial" install.

Also, P3D V2.x isn't very good about cleaning up it's package cache files -- with my testing I found 3 Package Cache folders relating to P3D V2.0 to V2.2 ... these package cache folders should remain (they are used during a repair operation) ... BUT, I obviously should only have one (for the current version I have installed) and not three.  Anyway, I deleted v2.0 and v2.1 package cache folders that reclaimed 18GB.  WARNING: be careful deleteing folders from the Package Cache ... only delete what you are certain you don't have installed.

There is a product called "WinDirStat" (freeware) here: https://windirstat.info/ - this can scan drives and report back on what files/dirs are using the most space ... helpful if you want to find big chunks of space consumption.

Sadly many installers don't correctly remove themselves when they uninstall (including leaving a slew of registry entrees).

Cheers, Rob.

P3D is not the cause.  I would have another go at uninstalling/reinstalling the C++ runtime libraries.  You may have something corrupted in there.  Because the module causing the error message to be triggered is the runtime library module, not a P3D compiled file.   It is not P3D that is the cause.

Looking at your previous thread, it is this runtime that you'll want to uninstall/reinstall:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

Go to your control panel, Programs and Features.  Uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable - 10.0.040219

Then actually try P3D once again to see if it will go without it ( I don't think it will, but try)

If it doesn't use the link above ( http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555 ) and reinstall MSVCRT.

Update:  After installing the version above, if it things are OK, you could leave it as is.  If there still is an issue, even if not I recommend going to SP1.  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328   (There may have been a few security updates, sometimes these updates can cause problems, very rare however, and the problems it causes is probably developer error anyway.  If it was true with LM everyone would be seeing it, but anyways, go back if the SP1 breaks things.  But SP1 should be fine to go to.)  These distributed files come from many places all over, sometimes they don't make it to the install intact.  Getting them direct from MS can help. 

The next step I would take is to uninstall/reinstall the simconnect clients.  In Programs and Features They are Microsoft Flight Simulator and Microsoft ESP clients.  To reinstall, you can find them in the redist/interfece/[FSX...]/retail/lib folders under P3D install folder.  I'd just install whatever ones you find there in the different interfaces.  There are versions that some older FSX addons depend on, they are found with an FSX installation.

Cosmic rays dude; they just flip things over and cause chaos.  Gotta have a plan man. 

Also, to keep the registry clean, I use an uninstaller when installing;  Revo Unistaller.  It can save a lot of frustration if you've installed something you don't like and later want to clean it out, and keeps things clean.  At any rate I still find myself re-installing the OS every 6-9 months, just because MS sometimes makes such as mess of things all by themselves.

I've had more troubles like this with FSX than I'd care to remember.

Haven't had P3D long enough to have it all go wrong, although it probably will at some point. .

Took me a while to learn this. There's really only one single solution to these kinds of problems.

Mirror image backup !!!

It takes an image every day. Stores it to an external HD.

I have images now of 455 days. All the way back to a fresh install of Windows 8 or maybe the day I successfully installed and tested FSX. Any day I'd like.

What could be better ?

Seriously anyone not doing this, well you know.  :-)

Sorry for repeating myself but this I feel should be #1 for everyone.

Cheers

Steve

Consider uninstalling your graphics drivers as well, and not using beta drivers. I didn't get the same error, but I did get only 50% of the ground textures showing (checkers anyone?) re-installing the nVidia drivers fixed it.

Mirror image backup !!!
 Yes, it's a very good idea.  I sometimes don't get around to getting one up.  But solves many problems.

Consider uninstalling your graphics drivers as well
 Right.  Do a clean install, after the runtime and simconnect files.  More than likely there is a corrupt file somewhere in these groups that needs to be replaced.

I read elsewhere that one should never install OS, drivers, or programs while your PC is overclocked (if indeed your unit is overclocked), as that could induce minor/major errors during the installation?  Any opinions on this for the OP or in general?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I read elsewhere that one should never install OS, drivers, or programs while your PC is overclocked

While it's overclocked is OK,  While you are Overclocking it's not.  You should have a very stable system before you continue to build your software setup.  I'll install the OS, Overclock it, usually starting with a LOWER voltage than what the mobo defaults to.  When I find a stable voltage for the next highest frequency, then I'll burn it in.  P3D is an EXCELLENT burn in application, lol.  If there are any errors, up the voltage.  Passes burn-in, up the frequency.  wash, rinse, repeat.  But never install drivers or any other software until your system is STABLE.  Don't let windows do any updates either.  Errors in copying files WILL happen.  Sometimes after things have been stable I'll re-install the OS again.  ALWAYS clean your radiators when they are dirty.  Use 91% alcohol if you want to wipe something.

I have been able to maintain a 4.8Mhz stable on a 3770k dellided (coollaboratory liquid ultra) / Asus Maximus V Formula ThunderFX / Water Cooled.  I probably could do it again if I had recorded my settings before upgrading the bios, and cleaned everything up again (and of course yes I may have won the chip lottery on this one.)  Currently only at 4.4 with a very dirty case.  Haven't figured out positive pressure for fans yet.

Currently only at 4.4 with a very dirty case. 

Dust filters are your friend.  ^_^

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Dust filters are your friend.
 That and overpressure.  I have too many fans going out, not enough going in.  Or their speeds are set wrong.   That's what I get for not saving fan configurations, and then going and reinstalling Windows again and again.