Sign in to follow this  
Not_Boeing_Not_Going

What is the best graphic card for xplane 10 64 bit ?!

Nvidia is the standard and AMD is the afterthought when games are developed. 

And of course this is just not true. 

And of course this is just not true. 

Well, it depends. AMD cards have a tendency to be a bit touzchy. They can profit from a bit of fine tuning. That's one of the reasons for mantle. On OpenGL on the other hand there is NO finetuning from the program possible, the inteligence has to be in the gtraphics driver that the ca5rd deceloper delivers and that's the problem. The OpenGL drivers from ATI have a pretty bad reputation.

In most reviews and in my personal experience, AMD graphics cards just do not equate to nVidia in flightsim applications.  For me, they are just too expensive to experiment with, so I just stick to nVidia and they have never let me down.  Currently - GTX 770 with 4 GB.

Also, the graphics are highly dependent on your processor and motherboard.  Just throwing a great graphics card into an older system does not necessarily equate to better performance.

John

thank you for reply but should i build a new pc or just buy a new graphic card.

Well, we more or less answered it. Your RAM is insufficient but RAM is pretty cheap, and together with a new Graphics card you will get pretty good results for a rather small amount of money. If you buy a totally new PC you will get even better resuts but the the improvement per dollar decreases dramatically. Your CPU is no longer up to date but it is still decent.

If you don't really have to think about money you could buy a new PC but I don't think that it is really necessary..

I think Longranger answered your question very well.   There are other options like a new motherboard, processor, and DRAM (essentially building your own), but the savings in building one are pretty much negated by having to buy the OS as your current one will not - most likely - transfer to the new components.  That's what I do - just build another - but its not a task everyone wants to attempt.  At the very least, your power supply might not support your new GPU.  They like plenty of power.

Good luck whichever way you go.

John

John Wingold

Not sure what's changed, but 10.30b6 was a real boost for my laptop. I'm able to run HDR now at very acceptable rates now even in heavy clouds.

X plane 10 is about the only game where a 780 ti/ titan isn't a completely insane overkill. Basically the best graphics card for x plane is the best card available at any given time

I still recommend sticking with Nvidia. More titles other than XPX are developed with Nvidia in mind. Nice to have Phys-x can be nifty at times.

I bought a a GTX 780 TI a couple of months ago. Never exceeding 40% GPU Usage with x-plane 10.  A beast, but

unfortunately , 3 GB VRAM is not enough using photoscenerys at max texture res.

I bought a a GTX 780 TI a couple of months ago. Never exceeding 40% GPU Usage with x-plane 10.  A beast, but

unfortunately , 3 GB VRAM is not enough using photoscenerys at max texture res.

If you bought an evga they have a 90 day upgrade program ! I got the 6GB !!!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

If you put 32GB of RAM, will X-Plane use all or most of it? Currently I have 16GB, not sure if I should spend the extra money to get an additional 16GB if it's not going to be used.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

If you put 32GB of RAM, will X-Plane use all or most of it? Currently I have 16GB, not sure if I should spend the extra money to get an additional 16GB if it's not going to be used.

Read in this thread, starting with this link:

--> I highly recommend anybody (who can afford it) to have at least 16 GByte ... But if you want to be future proof (and want to use a lot of OSM scenery made with world2xplane and photoscenery from SimHeaven) then 32 GBýte is a very good idea!

i've just bought an r9 290 so will let you know how that performs (my cpu is an i5 3570k running at 4.2ghz) - most benchmarks put it slightly ahead of the gtx 780 (not the ti version!), which is pretty amazing considering it's about £100 cheaper.