Sign in to follow this  
Moby

Global Scenery For P3D v2.2

Hi, I'm looking into getting global scenery for P3D. I have done some research but since P3D v2 is fairly new there isn't that much information available online. So, as much for myself as a reference for other looking at getting global coverage scenery, I would like to ask what options I have. Or rather, is there any alternative to FTX global? According to this link GEX is not and will not in the near future be available for P3D. So I guess GEX+UTX is not an option?

I already own a few orbx regions, but FTX global + FTX Vector is an expensive addon so any opinions would be helpful.

Have you considered photo scenery by area?

Mark

I´m choosing FTX Global or Megascenery Earth ( photoreal ). After you fly photoreal, it´s almost impossible to go back to some other scenery. Or use Tileproxy instead. It has the Whole World. 

When I first started playing this game I used Mega Earth Scenery for the State I fly out of.  I enjoyed that because since I fly around here it looks really familiar.   Only thing that bothers me a bit is on take off and approaches having everything flat.

After you fly photoreal, it´s almost impossible to go back to some other scenery.

Not to mention the fps boost.

Mark

An alternative is Fscene Totalpack for P3D, however I had problems getting it to work properly and wasnt very impressed by the looks of it. In the end I saved up my money for a FS2010/FTX global/FTX vector combination. It is a more costly combination, but if you ask me, worth your money. In my opinion best quality ánd quantity (global coverage) considering the price.

Dont be fooled by the price of the simulator alone, before you've got a nice looking sim, with some serious aircrafts and a proper PC with decent controls, it has set you back a couple of thousand bucks. Good thing about it is that you can add addons and hardware piece by piece and do it over time, instead of coming up with the whole amount at once. You just need a little patience. ;)

Doesnt Megascenery Earth cost a whole lot more then FS2010/FTX global/FTX vector, for the same coverage? It has only 55 areas listed on the website, from $30 and up, so that already would come to $1650 and then you're still missing a whole lot. And far as I know it isnt complete. At least, in the list on the website I only see north American and European areas, no Africa, Middle East, or Asia... Anyways, I passed on it because of the price as well as not being able to cover so many areas that I think are important, because its all flat (no hills, mountains etc) and it has no autogen scenery (no 3D objects). And yes, I like to fly low altitude to enjoy the scenery around me, but everyone his own priorities, right? :P

Cheers!

Maarten

As far a

An alternative is Fscene Totalpack for P3D, however I had problems getting it to work properly and wasnt very impressed by the looks of it. In the end I saved up my money for a FS2010/FTX global/FTX vector combination. It is a more costly combination, but if you ask me, worth your money. In my opinion best quality ánd quantity (global coverage) considering the price.

Dont be fooled by the price of the simulator alone, before you've got a nice looking sim, with some serious aircrafts and a proper PC with decent controls, it has set you back a couple of thousand bucks. Good thing about it is that you can add addons and hardware piece by piece and do it over time, instead of coming up with the whole amount at once. You just need a little patience. ;)

Doesnt Megascenery Earth cost a whole lot more then FS2010/FTX global/FTX vector, for the same coverage? It has only 55 areas listed on the website, from $30 and up, so that already would come to $1650 and then you're still missing a whole lot. And far as I know it isnt complete. At least, in the list on the website I only see north American and European areas, no Africa, Middle East, or Asia... Anyways, I passed on it because of the price as well as not being able to cover so many areas that I think are important, because its all flat (no hills, mountains etc) and it has no autogen scenery (no 3D objects). And yes, I like to fly low altitude to enjoy the scenery around me, but everyone his own priorities, right? :P

As far as I know, MSE V2 for USA is complete. I need now only 10 states to complete my collection, and it worths every single penny. There´s not 2 places equal. Everything is unique, REAL.

FSX + MSE V2

14549855990_536f73e7c2_o.jpg

What mesh are you using. That picture is one of the best I have seen. Post more!!!

As far as I know, MSE V2 for USA is complete. I need now only 10 states to complete my collection, and it worths every single penny. There´s not 2 places equal. Everything is unique, REAL.

FSX + MSE V2

Indeed USA is complete and a little part of Europe, but I thought the question was about world coverage. And personally, I'm not interested in USA. A complete Europe would be nice, but what I would like to see are all the prominent historical areas, for example. Asia with temples and famous sitings, or South American Inca areas, stuff like that and what I've been looking for ever since I started simming is a proper Egypt, with Luxor, Amarna, Valey of the Kings and all other grave sites. I would love to have this in any form, but especially in photoreal scenery (provided it's got ground polygons and 3D buildings, that is. I do want something to look at when taking a dive down over the area.). If anyone could give me a tip for such an Egypt, you'd be my hero. :P

As I said, I'm a low altitude flier, I like to explore areas I'm interested in because of my historical interest. And those seem to be very rare, or very well hidden. ;-)

Cheers!

Maarten

Indeed USA is complete and a little part of Europe, but I thought the question was about world coverage. And personally, I'm not interested in USA. A complete Europe would be nice, but what I would like to see are all the prominent historical areas, for example. Asia with temples and famous sitings, or South American Inca areas, stuff like that and what I've been looking for ever since I started simming is a proper Egypt, with Luxor, Amarna, Valey of the Kings and all other grave sites. I would love to have this in any form, but especially in photoreal scenery (provided it's got ground polygons and 3D buildings, that is. I do want something to look at when taking a dive down over the area.). If anyone could give me a tip for such an Egypt, you'd be my hero. :P

As I said, I'm a low altitude flier, I like to explore areas I'm interested in because of my historical interest. And those seem to be very rare, or very well hidden. ;-)

I agree with you. I´m from Brazil. I´d love if we had some kind of MSE for Brazil. Indeed there´s not even a Nextmap mesh for Brazil ( What a pity ! ), I tend to agree that when all other regions are covered, the scenery designers look to my country. I only fly over USA and Europe, because of the great scenery. Sometimes I fell I´m an american citizen, I know the rivers, the lakes, the cities, perhaps more than many americans. Indeed, I love USA, and I wanted to have a double nationality, but this time, when we know there are many many difficulties in getting a single GREEN CARD, it´s almost impossible.

What mesh are you using. That picture is one of the best I have seen. Post more!!!

Hello, William, I´m using USA FSGenesis 10 meters for mesh. It´s really nice, but I´m always searching for better things.

Demious, you´re right again. I don´t know any Asia scenery ( good ) for FSX, do you know ? How can we fly for example from London to Malasya without good scenery. These things should be already solved. it´s time. FSX is here for about 10 years. I would really love to see all those things you mentioned.

Demious, you´re right again. I don´t know any Asia scenery ( good ) for FSX, do you know ? How can we fly for example from London to Malasya without good scenery. These things should be already solved. it´s time. FSX is here for about 10 years. I would really love to see all those things you mentioned.

Far as I know there arent many packages with full global coverage, especially if your looking for realistic high detail with many landmarks and such. I think that for now we have to do with balancing priorities and since I dont like the changes when you fly a long route, as you say, and the scenery changes from, for example, UTX/GEX, to default, to FTX and get different styles of design and coloring along the way.

When it comes to the detailing as I described I havent found anything yet, so therefor I settle for a global solution like FTX Global/Vector. It doesnt give me the detailing I would like to see, but it does look good, the price is reasonable and there are no nasty transitions from different graphic styles. But everyone has their own priorities, of course.

Cheers!

Maarten

Far as I know there arent many packages with full global coverage, especially if your looking for realistic high detail with many landmarks and such. I think that for now we have to do with balancing priorities and since I dont like the changes when you fly a long route, as you say, and the scenery changes from, for example, UTX/GEX, to default, to FTX and get different styles of design and coloring along the way.

When it comes to the detailing as I described I havent found anything yet, so therefor I settle for a global solution like FTX Global/Vector. It doesnt give me the detailing I would like to see, but it does look good, the price is reasonable and there are no nasty transitions from different graphic styles. But everyone has their own priorities, of course.

Yes, for the countries or regions where there´s no scenery, we have to use something like FTX with Vector and Europe, and we could add some airports which some people have made ( free or payware ), and await for something better. You see as we are far away from a better FS, when you think that we could now be running a  64 bit flight simulator, without the nasty danger of the Out of memory problem when you raise Lod-Radius do say...9 and having all add-ons activated.

I finally deciphered all the various Orbx products and ended up getting FTX Global and Vector.  I fly only GA aircraft and don't fly consistently out of the same airports.  This seemed to be the best option rather than buying individual Photo realistic scenery packages.

Going from default to FTX just illustrates that I need a better Video card than my Nvidia 570.

Unforunately, everything has tradeoffs. I personally use FTX Global + Vector + OpenLC (only EU is available now but North America will be next). FSGlobal mesh rounds it out nicely, but I only use mesh in the EU because I think P3D default mesh us actually pretty good in the U.S. The downside is there us no way to make it look 100% like the real thing. It's close.

Megascenery PR looks pretty darn good in the pictures, as I am sure it does in sim. I just can't get past the fact you have no real autogen and everything is just flat and featureless the lower you fly. Also, you don't get seasons and often no night textures with PR. Once again, there are tradeoffs.

What I would do is try a freeware photoreal like Tileproxy or Bluesky scenery and see if you like it. If not, then get FTX Global and build from there.

Todd

I just can't get past the fact you have no real autogen and everything is just flat and featureless the lower you fly. Also, you don't get seasons and often no night textures with PR. 

That's always been my big hangup.  I only fly GA aircraft and those aren't complicated so I'm always looking around, at about FL50 it's fine but you get lower and it can look strange.