Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

Flying below the rim... Grand Canyon

Flying last evening from KGCN over the Grand Canyon.   I know you are not supposed to fly below the rim, but I didnt see any FAA officials...so what the heck.  :-)    Im using FTX global vectors, FTX global scenery, the Alabeo C-177 and Pilots 19m mesh.

grand_canyon2.jpg

grand_canyon4.jpg

grand_canyon5.jpg

grand_canyon6.jpg

grand_canyon8.jpg

grand_canyon7.jpg

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Great shots. I was there 2 weeks ago and while it was very hot, the views from Bright Angel were breathtaking.

You Rebel You!!! Fantastic Shots!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Nice shots.  What plane is that?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Alabeo Cessna Cardinal C-177.   This is the fixed gear version.     Just (just) enough power to fly below the rim.  but a struggle to get out of the ditch.  you dont realize the impact of the altitude and the height of those walls!!   I wouldnt try this is the default C172. 

The Cardinal is a very nicely rendered plane like most Alabeo products.   She is however, a complete hand flyer.  Despite having a virtual garmin 530 GNS, she has no autopilot.   Also, no second nav radio, which can be a little annoying when you want to triangulate position.    However, I retrofitted mine in the panel.cfg so she's all good.

My favorite GA airplane ever was the old dreamfleet C-177 for FS9.  I wish this one had that panel and radio stack.  Otherwise, this is a very good airplane.