Sign in to follow this  
olliecast

worth swapping fx9370 for new i7?

Hi all,

Im getting reasonably smooth 20fps fsx with rex texture, asn, orbx, uk 2000 airports. Drops to 18 ish when at low altitude in the pmdg 777.

I have a gtx780 and have tweaked by cfg, running a fibre frame fraction of 0.1.

The fx9370 is at 4.9ghz.

is it going to bee worth the £360 changing to a new i7 chip?

Thanks

Ollie

Thanks for the reply.

Electric bill not an issue but how would you quantify it in terms of flying?

Would it be smoother? Small stutters I get now at low altitude and scenery popping up just under the aircraft currently?

This has the potential to become another AMD vs Intel flashpoint, personally the FX9350 is a true power hog, why AMD could not just release an FSX 8550 at 4.5GHz with all new instruction coding for single thread ops is beyond me. Personally I am on an AMD Phenom II 965 and have an FX8350 on the way, I know quite a few people who are using stock clocked 8350's that are getting 35-40 frames with payware aircraft and payware sceneries. The i7 series is a great especially the 4770k, they do have their nuances when it comes to overclocking but there is plenty of documentation to get you though it.

I do have a question for you though, do you have plans to move to P3D in the next year, if so, perhaps using 350 GPB towards P3D with your favorite addons that require a seperate licence might be a better way to go, its less CPU intensive and more GPU.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Planning on staying with fsx as its near as I've ever been to having it perfect coming from the old days with a q6600 amd 8800gtx in fsx.

My question is, is with a i7, is it going to be night and day difference, ie 30fps smooth coming into a uk2000 egll with pmdg 777 or is it still within my tweaking to get the fx9370 optimised?

It will NOT be a night and day difference, you MIGHT gain a few FPS here and there but the FX9350 is not a joke of a CPU unless you look at its wattage. Going from a 9350 to a 4770k will require a new motherboard and getting a high end mobo for Intel is usually 30-40% higher in cost over its AMD counterpart, that being said Intel motherboards are updated more often than AMD. If you look at some of the best FSX "as real as it gets" videos on youtube many say they have an i7 and to be honest that means next to jack crap, when editing a video there are many things the "professionals" use to make it look like their sim is flawless, its all in the editing. You are NOT going to go from 18-20 FPS to a smooth 30 with everything you listed just by switching to an i7, anyone telling you otherwise is a fool.

I am a CompTIA A+ certified Windows Technician with a college background education in Hardware Management, I have also taken Digital Microprocessor Architecture courses which specialize in how a CPU works down to the core level. I would personally bring your Fiber Fraction up to a 1.0 - 1.2 as .1 is ridiculously low and can cause the issues you are having, generally most people do not go below a 1.0, and 1.2 works very well on many high end systems, you can think a banned user on AVSIM known as Word Not Allowed for this info.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Thank matey, really appreciate your help.

Im going to stick with what I have

Will change that fft value also,

cheers ollie

It will be a night and day experiance for sure, but if it is worth it ? its up to you.

Have test AMD in FSX, is a owner of a FX8350 and FX9590 both at 5.1ghz the difference to I7 4790K with mild OC 4.5-4.6ghz is huge.

I have a second Hobby Overclocking, have a lot of hardware example cpus 2700K, 3770K, 4X4670K,2X4770K, 3X4790K, 4xG3258, 4960X,Phenom 965BE,FX8150,FX8350,FX9590 and a lot more older cpus.

I went from a FX8350 @ 4,5GHz to an i74770k @ 4,3GHz. At the most fps hungry airport in the 737NGX I went from 11fps to 25... (Also switched to a GTX770 gfx card but that shouldn't add too much to it) You can do the math :P

I went from a FX8350 @ 4,5GHz to an i74770k @ 4,3GHz. At the most fps hungry airport in the 737NGX I went from 11fps to 25... (Also switched to a GTX770 gfx card but that shouldn't add too much to it) You can do the math :P

Doubt it that much a leap in fps. More likely about 30% difference like 17amd vs 25 i7 frames. AMD CPU are not bad just for FSX it's not designed to work with it as efficiently. Intel ideal for higher end settings.

Doubt it that much a leap in fps. More likely about 30% difference like 17amd vs 25 i7 frames. AMD CPU are not bad just for FSX it's not designed to work with it as efficiently. Intel ideal for higher end settings.

Believe me, it is that much of a difference. Aerosoft ELLX, RWY24 at night I was unable to achieve satisfying performance with my FX, with the i7 i's a totally different story. Most of the time it is a 30-50% increase in fps but in some cases it is much more than that.

Don't get me wrong, AMD cpu's are good, for some applications they are excellent and at times even better than Intel, like video rendering and other heavy processing that can benefit from it's 8 threads which FSX doesn't.

I am a CompTIA A+ certified Windows Technician with a college background education in Hardware Management, I have also taken Digital Microprocessor Architecture courses which specialize in how a CPU works down to the core level. I would personally bring your Fiber Fraction up to a 1.0 - 1.2 as .1 is ridiculously low and can cause the issues you are having, generally most people do not go below a 1.0, and 1.2 works very well on many high end systems, you can think a banned user on AVSIM known as Word Not Allowed for this info.

It is nice to see so much free advice given on this forum, but sometimes that advice lacks foundation.. :unsure:

0.33 is the default FFTF value which works nicely on most modern systems...

Quoting Word Not Allowed: "You can experiment with this tweak; mostly used settings are 0.1-0.25."

Bert

Hi all,

Im getting reasonably smooth 20fps fsx with rex texture, asn, orbx, uk 2000 airports. Drops to 18 ish when at low altitude in the pmdg 777.

I have a gtx780 and have tweaked by cfg, running a fibre frame fraction of 0.1.

The fx9370 is at 4.9ghz.

is it going to bee worth the £360 changing to a new i7 chip?

Thanks

Ollie

I had an FX-8350 at 4.5 GHz got about 22 fps on the ground at FSDTs KLAX in the PMDG 777 on a clear day with autogen at normal. With my 4790k at 4.5ghz I get 25-35 fps on the ground during a major thunderstorm with Rex HD clouds and autogen at very dense the only thing different in my current build from my old FX build is the CPU and mobo. Intel is the way to go with FSX and p3d. I like Amd but the performance difference speaks for itself

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.